1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’m not so sure. I didn’t think that Leland was the only manifestation of Control - it was the one leading the battle, but if they had stayed, they would have faced further danger - at least, that’s my read on it.

Neil Middlemiss and Jason_V like this.
  2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Yes and no. Yes in that if there was sufficient time between the death and stopping the jump, it would work. But I'm not really convinced there was that much time.

Besides, no one actually knew Leland was going to die in Michael's time crystal look forward. She saw the bridge crew get slaughtered and that's what they all had to work with. Even though we're told Control is neutralized, Discovery can fall prey to any other force in the galaxy if they stayed in the Alpha Quadrant. Same can happen 950 years in the future, but hopefully by that point, the information is so outdated it doesn't matter anymore.

100% agreed though that would not have satisfied what this episode seemingly wanted to do more than anything: a minor reboot and clearing the deck for next year. One last hurrah for all the supporting players and the things we've "known" for the last two years. Give Cornwell a heroic sendoff, see Saru's sister, return of L'Rell and Po and Amanda. It's like "The Expanse" for me in that regard.

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Vulcan has no moon, Miss Uhura. I noticed on the beach scene at the start of part 1, where Sarek is meditating and doing his Katra search, in the cloudy sky, I could make out what looks like a large moon in orbit. Maybe it’s a neighboring planet? An homage to Star Trek The Motion Picture’s original Vulcan landscape matte painting?

Some questions and thoughts after sleeping on it:

I thought the time crystal only had enough juice to jump once into the future. Maybe those 5 jumps into the past didn’t count?

Why a fist a cuffs fight with an AI, Georgiou and Nhan? That whole aspect seemed odd to me. Unless the whole point was to keep Leland busy and delay him. And to lead him to the Spore Drive chamber. But it was odd that they didn’t do something more appropriate to kill a computer basically. So using the old magnetic floor trick did the job.

Why after Georgiou defeated Leland, they still had to jump ahead?

Because they used it as an excuse to jump the series into the future. Hopefully they will rejoin the future Starfleet when they get there. Because they’d be just a lone ship wandering around?

About the TOS timeline being cleaned up, yes, it can be said Discovery existed, it did start a Klingon war and it did travel to the Mirror Universe and brought Georgiou back. It does get commanded by Christopher Pike, it all happens. What I’m saying and others are saying is that it’s now cleanly put aside and explains why the future Spock never mentions a sister and why we never saw a Spore Drive.

Come to think of it, during Kirk’s time, I guess L’Rell may not be in power as there’s an uneasiness between the two giant powers.

And maybe the crew of the ship that L’Rell is commanding didn’t notice the traitor Tyler was on the bridge during the battle? I forgot about that little detail.

The way the finale ended, it was a very nice send off to the Enterprise and seeing Spock back to normal was a nice pay-off. I kept wondering why he didn’t shave. It was for that moment. It would be great to see another series about Pike, Spock and Number One.

Again, how’s Georgiou getting her own Section 31 show, oh, it must be in the future since Tyler is in charge of Section 31 in the 23rd century.

For sure an intense finale and I was at the edge of my seat! I kept yelling, go into the past to Michael! They definitely spent a good amount of budget on the effects work and multiple sets built. I intend to watch it again this weekend. Can’t wait for the Blu Ray too. Hope it’s not going to be a year away.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Well, they did try to shoot Leland, which didn't work. And physically assault him, which didn't work. Options were fairly limited at the time. Keeping him occupied and letting Michael do her thing was the objective...and it produces what may be the best action sequence with actors in the franchise.

The other thing in the back of my mind is more basic. Everyone else was occupied doing something: piloting, shooting, engineering, commanding. Nhan and Georgiou weren't doing a whole lot. So it gave them something to do.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Control isn't only Leland. Control is the AI that the Starfleet admiralty uses (through Section 31) for its wargaming and threat assessment. Control eventually gained sentience and, through nanites, was able to, uh, control Leland's body. That's the threat that was defeated. The AI is still in place, however, presumably still on the remaining Section 31 ships, and potentially at Starfleet as well.

There is a risk the Control AI will regain its original level of sentience and continue to seek out the sphere data (which is the missing link to full sentience). At stake here is the extinction of all sentient life in the universe. Given those stakes, the sphere data absolutely cannot stay in the time period.

That all said, the show continues to (and always will) have a problem with its transporters. Why didn't they simply site-to-site beam Admiral Cornwell out after she lowered the blast door? Probably something about leaking radiation from the torpedo, I guess. But still, the transporter is almost always the solution to a problem. They could have beamed Control into space, or, even better, dematerialize Control and simply not rematerialize him: just let his energy dissipate into space.

Blue (sustained) phasers!

Carabimero, Greg.K and Josh Steinberg like this.
  6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

No argument from me Jason! :). Leland got his comeuppance and Georgiou had her revenge. It was a great fight sequence in the corridor with the Fred Astaire dance routine.

Josh Dial, that’s a very good point about Control. As I recall, Spock Or Pike asked if all of the Control AI was removed during the debriefing scenes. Discovery still had to go with the data to the future.

7. Message #2567 of 2737 Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Well of course it all happened. But this suppression is tantamount to saying it shouldn't have happened, that it was a mistake. Once the adults got in the sandbox and sent the children home, the adults started systematically repairing all the carelessly broken toys. Last night they demonstrated that it was time to put away childish things. And IMO the adults gave us a terrific season of Star Trek while doing it.

8. Message #2568 of 2737 Apr 19, 2019
    Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    That's all extrapolation on your part and not clearly defined in any of the episodes.

Another point of contention. How was Giorgiou able to transfer the Control data from Discovery's systems to the Spore Drive without anyone knowing?

And from the previous episode, when they tried to destroy Discovery, why did Control let the crew back on? It could have simply waited for Leland to show up and complete the transfer.....

Every piece of fiction gets a freebie, this show used up a truckful.

Carabimero and Greg.K like this.
  9. Message #2569 of 2737 Apr 19, 2019
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    If anyone else here has read some of the more recent TOS novels, Pike referred to Number One as "Una" in the finale, which is a cool reference to the Star Trek: Legacies novel-trilogy from 2016, in which this name first appeared, and where Number One plays a major role in the storyline.

Author Dayton Ward just confirmed this on another website today — evidently the show's producers asked the novelists about this subject, and he gave them the first name he, Greg Cox, and David Mack came up with for the character in those books, which the season finale has just officially canonized.

EDIT: Executive producer Michelle Paradise also confirms this in a new interview:

http://www.trekcore.com/blog/2019/04/interview-star-trek-discovery-season-finale-michelle-paradise/

10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    No it's not. All of the stuff about Control was provided in either Discovery episodes or Enterprise episodes.

11. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I found the season finale thrilling form start to finish. The action was spectacular and the character moments were memorable and emotionally charged for me. What a superb hour+ of television. Certainly one of the best I’ve seen in Trek. Just wonderful.

Like others, I am desperately hoping CBS All Access recognizes the opportunity here to give us a Pike/Enterprise spin-off - even if it’s a limited series run. I don’t want to let go of this Pike, Spock and Enterprise crew just yet.

The resolution to this season is what I imagined they might do with a series finale, but I am even more excited by the bold leap to where they can now take season three! Let the eager countdown to the third season begin! :)

Mrs. Carab, Josh Dial, joshEH and 2 others like this.
  12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Exactly what I was was thinkng while watching this episode.
    The 2:35 size of the image, the battles, that corridor fight scene all of it.
    Was theatrical in presentation all the way around.

They are crazy if they don’t do a season with this Enterprise crew.

Makes me think of the DC app and all the shows they’re going to do in that universe but never giving us the ones we really want.
    Batman, Superman etc.
    There’s been some great Star Trek over the last 30+ years and the time is right to do a TOS season with this group.

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Oh and Spock looked better with the beard.

Josh Dial likes this.
  14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    yeah too much frentic Phew Phew and not enough substance, why didnt the beam out Cornwell since they beamed out spock, Leland and control, worst plot drivers ever. So a few crewmates agree to give up their lives and go with Burnham, and they kidnap the rest of the crew to go along. Saru's people are now warriors, huh what ? Yes the future jump not needed anymore, took spock 123 days to shave?

If you take Pike and Spock and the enterprise out of the equation now tell me how good the season was.

Philip Verdieck likes this.
  15. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    My wife and I were on a bus tour, so I set up two PVRs and a DVDR to record the show. Everything worked perfectly, except Space Channel monkeyed around with the show times and all 4 recordings are missing the last 15 minutes!:angry:

16. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Contradicted when it was specifically stated in the last episode Leland was controlling the attack. With him removed the other portions of the entity are much like drones without their queen. The remaining portions could be easily eradicated.

17. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Well they are in the equation so....

18. Message #2578 of 2737 Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Yeah, there were a lot of plot holes. I want to see how good this writing team is next season when most of the baggage they were burdened with correcting has been jettisoned.

I hope it's not a VOY retread. I don't think it will be. I figures to be fun.

Even so, I'm gonna miss Pike, Spock and the Enterprise. I have a hunch that no matter how great DSC may become in future years, season two will always be one of my favorites.

Philip Verdieck and Mrs. Carab like this.
  19. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Backwards or not I know which version appeals more to me!
    JB

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    I still haven't got around to watching the finale but you guys say it's good so I'll put it on sometime over Easter! I get it that Pike and Speck are going so is this the new Captain each series show or what? Can't say I remember much of what I've seen over the last three months except that Pike in the chair thing and his melting face bit but Mr.Mount was very good as Pike even if I'm no real fan of the show and prefer Jeffrey Hunter! ;)
    JB