1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    It's that alternate copyright which requires 25% percent differentiation! ;)

Mrs. Carab likes this.
  2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Since the After Trek show was cancelled, Have you guys been following the Briefing Room segments? I’ve seen several and just saw the Anson Mount segment. In case you haven’t seen these segments, and you’re interested, it covers a lot of territory.

joshEH likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I saw that they were there but I’m going to wait until the season is over before peeking. I tend to avoid behind the scenes or bonus material for shows during the season - easier for me to suspend disbelief if I only see the actors in their roles and don’t see people from the show talking about it. It probably sounds silly. But I am interested in what they have to say, and I’ll catch up after the finale.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate

That's exactly the show I have wanted for 25 years, ever since a fourth Star Trek show was in the planning stages (what became Voyager).

5. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I'm operating under the assumption, like the other Josh, that there has to be a reason for Spock risking everything in The Menagerie to bring Pike back to Talos. Sure, it may be a "this was my commander and what happened to him sucks," but adding this extra layer to the reason ("hey, he sacrificed his future for a time crystal in order to save the galaxy...) gives that decision more weight to me.

joshEH likes this.
  6. Nelson Au

Understood Josh about waiting for the end of the season to watch the Briefing Room segments.

Jason, for me, I always took Miss Piper’s description of Spock’s long service and loyalty to Captain Pile as his main motivation to risk his career to go to Talos. But sure, these new events at Boreth is another element that could play into Spock if he knows about the events at Boreth.

joshEH and Jason_V like this.
  7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    OK... It's official... I very much dislike you guys! ;)

I've been following this thread this season but haven't watched, partly because I refuse to pay CBS to watch a single show and partly because of how much I disliked S1. I may do a trial subscription once the season ends just to see for myself that it's as good as you guys intimate. I have to believe you as the comments are much more positive this season and, well, I trust your opinions (other than positive ones for S1 - still can't come to grips with that) but part of me wants to see for myself.

All the positive comments about this season have me ready to purchase it on disc when it comes out. That gives me mixed feelings. I really, really, want to see this season because of all your positive comments. I'm also very much a completist which means at some point I'll suck it up and purchase S1, in spite of not liking it, because I'd not be able to resist once later season(s) are purchased.

joshEH and Jason_V like this.
  8. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Totally. The best thing about this is the storyline lets us speculate like this, tying nicely into what we know of the character without jumping through hoops.

Another thing: the planet of Boreth has been mentioned before, most notably the monastery Worf went to in "Rightful Heir" where the monks cloned Kahless. If they ever wanted to do a ret con and claim clone Kahless wasn't really a clone, but in fact the real thing, I may just believe it knowing about the time crystals now.

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    This last episode gives me hope - maybe they're gonna time travel this whole nonsensical continuity out of existence. [​IMG] That would make me happy.

Would also solve the Pike Problem as he won't ever have the experiences of this season.

Did like the look of the Enterprise bridge.

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    After a season of near-perfection for me, the penultimate episode of the season missed the landing, not in the big, sweeping things it did, but in the small details. But what went right? The effects work, as normal, was top notch. I liked seeing the Discovery evac tunnels connect to the Enterprise. The crew abandoning ship was nice, as was the return of Po from the Short Trek "Runaway." The tension slowly mounted through the episode in a way which reminded me of DS9's "Call to Arms"; the crew coming to terms with what has to happen, the appropriate goodbyes and brief flashes of what is to come...all tease, basically, and no payoff.

There is a moment near the end of the episode in the Discovery transporter room which I think is a harbinger of things to come. Ash asks Pike if he trusts him, followed by a comment along the lines of "because of what I have to do." This is around the same time Georgiou outs herself as a Terran to Pike, who responds with "what Mirror Universe" and winks at her. I really liked that interaction between the three characters. Ash has a plan-my guess is to save Michael-and Pike knew about Georgiou. But why did she out herself if my question? Is she going to sacrifice herself for Michael?

And now the details that didn't work. The order is given only essential personnel go back to DIscovery after the ship is abandoned. In a corridor, it certainly looked like more than essential personnel were on the ship. Speaking of numbers, how many shuttles and work pods and whatever else do Discovery and Enterprise have? It looked like a small armada to me, and that doesn't sit right from a logic perspective. Which brings me to my biggest WTF moment: Sarek and Amanda on Discovery.

You're telling me they knew where Discovery would jump to and started to that destination long before Discovery knew where it was going. Remember, Enterprise left at warp speed when Discovery jumped and arrived after Sarek and Amanda left. Did they somehow get advance information on what was happening with the fifth signal? (I won't even start on the Enterprise bridge...)

I really need Discovery to stick the landing next week in the finale. "Such Sweet Sorrow" didn't impress me much...B-, if I'm giving a letter grade.

Mrs. Carab, Greg.K and Carabimero like this.
  11. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    I'm hoping they got all the exposition and good byes out of the way this week so it's non-stop action next week. Part of me wants this next week to pass quickly so I can see the conclusion. And part of me doesn't--so this season won't end.

Mrs. Carab likes this.
  12. Nelson Au

Jason, of all those elements you mentioned that didn’t make sense, yes, I agree. But I also am letting them do what they needed to do to get this episode to do what it has to do to set up next week. I did wonder what all those shuttles are doing out there. Sarek had his mindlink tell him where to go and we didn’t know when Sarek had that vision. Maybe it was earlier enough to allow the time. I didn’t know why Georgiou decided to out herself either. It’s becoming an open secret now. :)

I was thinking, every Short Trek has a clue to the season events, except Mudd. I don’t think there was a linkage there, unless it’s in the finale. Or it was just an excuse to do another Mudd appearance.

I am wondering, if the Sphere data will do what it needs to protect itself, and it’s part of Discovery itself now, can’t it also enhance the ship’s shields and protect itself from Control/Leland enough to buy time to get the Time Crystal all fired up? I guess we shall see. It did feel like a permanent good bye for Michael, but I’m guessing there might be a solution once in the future. Part of me hates to see this end too, maybe the Finale will be 2 hours long. :)

Jason_V likes this.
  13. Nelson Au

Lou, what a surprise to see you, it’s been a while. :).

14. Nelson Au

By the way, I forgot to mention the nice little touches they did with the Enterprise. The music had that TOS theme. The Enterprise bridge may have the Discovery aesthetic, but there are glass panels with the small colored square lights that are on the TOS bridge consoles. The rails are red. The turbolift has the same hand control. Great stuff. I wonder if Boyce will show up.

Mrs. Carab, Jason_V and Carabimero like this.
  15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    There were a number of things that didn't work, like those mentioned by Jason, above. Another big one, for me, was the crew of Discovery deciding to go with Burnham into the future, even though it means they can't come back -- and Spock is with them! At this moment, my wife said (and she's right) "There goes all the suspense!" I guess it's possible for the crew of Discovery to have a Season Three's worth of adventures in the future and deposit Spock back in his time, but I'd sure hate that. Nothing in Spock's story through TOS, the films, TNG, etc., suggests he travelled to the future, and certainly not for any extended period of time.

Another thing I hated: THE GODDAMN LENS FLARES! Holy smokes, when is it going to stop?!? I like this show, but this makes me hate this show. They're distracting and they blur the images on the screen, so I never get a good sense of what I'm seeing. This is the worst artistic choice I've yet to see on Star Trek. I swear to God if i meet JJ Abrams, I'm going to shine a fucking LED flashlight in his face for an hour or two and see how he likes it. (I know Abrams didn't have anything to do with Discovery, but he started this!) Make. It. Stop.

There's a petition out there for Anson Mount to get his own Star Trek show. I signed it.

Mrs. Carab and Greg.K like this.
  16. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    I thought part one of the finale was thrilling--a pretty big accomplishment considering it was mostly set up for part 2.

My two favourite details: Yeoman Colt was on the Enterprise bridge, and the Enterprise dedication plaque correctly listed the ship's class as "Starship."

17. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Entirely possible. The timing really threw me off and I kept thing Sarek and Amanda were using a holographic communicator of some type. That would have been more plausible for me.

I kept thinking that, too. I don't keep up on the rumor mill for the show, but if Sonequa Martin-Green were to be leaving, I would have expected that to have leaked into the mainstream press by now. Or CBS All Access has Marvel-level secrecy behind the scenes. Being a streaming show where anything can happen (ie. Lorca not being Lorca), I'm not going to believe she's making it back for S3 until I see her show up in S3.

The music...totally forgot the music. There was a lot of usage of the original theme early in the episode and that made me smile. Yeoman Colt is apparently in the show, though I totally missed her (Thanks Josh!). I agree it would be nice to see Boyce...would have been nicer to see the bridge crew from "The Cage" name dropped too. Maybe next week.

Mrs. Carab likes this.
  18. Nelson Au

Yes, thanks Josh, I totally missed Yeoman Colt!

19. Message #2519 of 2737 Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    [QUOTE="Nelson Au, post: 4727246, member: 270824"]Lou, what a surprise to see you, it’s been a while. :).[/QUOTE]

Hey Nelson! Knew you'd be in here. ;) What'd you think of the Enterprise bridge? Much better than the JJ verse version.

20. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Better than JJ's version, though still TOO FREAKIN' DARK.