What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I rewatched both Calypso and this week’s episode Perpetual Infinity. I noticed that during the attack by AI/Leland, his Section 31 phaser rifle was able to penetrate the containment field and destroyed the time crystal in the Red Angel suit. So that explains maybe why Gabrielle didn’t try to get back in the suit. Michael said it was gone now not only after snapping back to the future, but it’s no longer functional.

But I also realized something, Gabrielle said she wasn’t aware of the seven signals that Pike asked her about. So I wondered perhaps now that she knows about the seven signals, after she arrives back in the future, she found a way to create those signals and they have a reason we yet will see.

I also wondered about the ship that landed on the Vulcan facility that Michael and her parents were building the Red Angel suit. It’s supposed to be Klingon from what we know. I thought it sort of looked like a Romulan Bird of Prey.

About the Short Trek Calypso episode, it does look like they did send the Discovery to the future or they sent it to a section where no one could find it. The AI Zora does say that Discovery was ordered to hold station and it’s been there for over 900 years with the sphere data in its computer. It’s close to Terrilysium and Gabrielle did say she made her base there.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
And is that zombie Romero actor Alan Van Sprang in the last few episodes? I never seem to see his name on the credits!
JB

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The thing I never understood about his three Living Dead movies was basically is he the same character in each film? If so then he was Sarge Nicotine Brubaker who eventually joins the zombie hoards himself in Land!
JB

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Everyone have fun tonight - I can't wait. With only three to go, it seems like the show has been picking up momentum in a big way ever since leaving Talos IV. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out, but I'm also feeling a twinge of sadness knowing that it's almost over. Apparently the soonest it could come back is April 2020, which seems crazy to me, but that seems to be how they do things these days.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Everyone have fun tonight - I can't wait. With only three to go, it seems like the show has been picking up momentum in a big way ever since leaving Talos IV. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out, but I'm also feeling a twinge of sadness knowing that it's almost over. Apparently the soonest it could come back is April 2020, which seems crazy to me, but that seems to be how they do things these days.
I'm excited as well. As you say, the series has really picked up steam these past few episodes, bringing a terrific sense of anticipation and wonder about how they'll work it all out. I think this has been a great season, and while I was one of the fans out there that really enjoyed the first season (flaws and all), this second season has been of super quality and entertainment. Man, I LOVE getting to watch new Star Trek every week.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve gotten to watch new Discovery episodes each week on my own, and finally gotten my wife to watch TNG - this is gonna be a TV season for the ages as far as I’m concerned!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tonight’s epsode, Through the Valley of Shadows was intense in a few ways.

The main plot line with Pike was certainly not what I expected, it went where I didn’t want it to go. And Anson Mount really played it well. I’d like to think that the Time Crystal, or the Orb of Time it seems, was simply showing, not driving. I prefer to think it was as we think it was. I’m trying to avoid spoiling anything. :)

It was also interesting to see Boreth. I’m surprised that the Klingon’s were as accomodating, but then this is a monastery, so maybe they were not the same as the warlike Klingons.

The storyline with Michael and Spock was predictable, I figured it out, but not the reasons. It was a very tense and Edge of your seat sequence. Next week will be interesting to see. Can’t wait. But also sad it’s almost over.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is the first episode with DSC Klingons that didn't rub me the wrong way. I enjoyed the entire 45 minutes. A really nice scene between Hue and Jet Reno. She's growing on me.

It was hard to watch that scene with Pike because I anticipated it. For the first time I really cared about Pike and hated to see it. But it was inevitable. And it really was great.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That broke me.

Christopher Pike is the finest man to command the Enterprise.

This season has taken a fifty year old rejected pilot, and a wraparound story that an overworked, underfunded producer slapped together to recycle that footage and buy himself time, and imbued it with an additional layer of vitality and pathos, and bridged two worlds that seemed incompatible just a year ago. It was a risky, brave and bold choice, and it is paying off in big ways.

I haven’t had this much fun, or felt this engaged, watching a new season of television since Twin Peaks: The Return. This feels like a once in a lifetime experience. Discovery’s season three will hopefully be just as good, but it won’t be this. This is a gift.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow, what a fantastic episode.

Captain Pike, what can you say? I knew where it was headed and I still felt gut punched. Anson Mount has really brought Pike to life in the most vivid way. I guess we are seeing the way that has been prepared to bring things full circle. Sure didn't think it could be done after last season. Such a shame this season is almost over.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Still replaying that whole sequence in my head.

I love the writing there, because it wasn’t merely a passive flashforward to an inevitable future for Pike. It was an active choice for Pike to make and for us to experience. Leave without the crystal, and it’s just one possible future. Take it, and it becomes your unchangable destiny. That seems to one-up the price that the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s soul stone extracts, as far as crystal-rock-sourced punishments go. But that impressed me, that they found an organic way to work Pike’s destiny into this show, and to give his character the agency to face it. I loved how Mount played his reaction coming out of the vision, how he freaked momentarily, his control slipped but never broke, and how he said he wouldn’t sacrifice his ideals just because of an unanticipated future. The execution of the whole thing was stunning. So good that I went from “time crystal sounds kinda lame” to “that’s amazing.” It also explains perfectly why there aren’t many of those things floating around in the universe. Most people could never face the price, certainly not for mere money. And just think of Pike’s strength to not allow himself the luxury of believing that a different solution could be found without the crystal.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I also liked this one a lot. Anson Mount is the best thing about the show. It sucks that he's only signed for this season. Let's get CBS AA to put together a Captain Pike show. It needs to happen!

There were, however, two things that bothered me about this one. First, a common refrain (at least from me): The Klingons still look like goblins, not a race of warriors. From their double nostrils to their sharp pointy finger nails to their football-shaped heads, it's too much. They need to ease up on the makeup. It takes me out of the show.

Second, the Klingon tells Pike if he takes the crystal, his future becomes unchangeable. Why? That makes no sense. I get the dramatic impact of Pike making a decision that will doom him, but it's not logical. The scene would have had just as much impact for Pike to see his future, without him being doubly damned for taking a crystal.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I think most people here know what the status of Captain Pike will be according to the original series.

Until recently, Discovery had a character called “Airiam” who was basically a brain installed in a robot. Why then is the status of Pike going to be so primitive? We even did better way back in the 20th century with Stephen Hawking.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have not seen the Episode yet. Are they running all 15 in a row and not having a Hiatus of any kind?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Anson Mount's portrayal of Christopher Pike blows me away. I was always indifferent about Pike until Mount brought him back to life this season. At first Mount made me like Pike. Tonight he made me love him.
Every word of this!

And as @Sam Favate says, they need to get to work on a Pike show because I want to watch Anson Mount continue in this universe for as long as possible!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks