What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do it! I watched The Cage before the premiere, and I’ll probably watch The Menagerie after the season finale.

I love how they’re handling Pike - I was extremely skeptical before the season began and I was won over after about 30 seconds of Anson Mount in the premiere.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Well I am down here in Mexico at the resort and brought my laptop and hdmi cord and hooked up to my TV in the room. I am watching via Netflix. I have to agree with everyone that Anson Mount is a great Pike. This season does feel more like Trek than last season however I do not care for the Section 31 introduction as it was one of the things I did not like about DS9. I feel such an organization would not exist in Roddenberry's utopia and is too analogous to something like the CIA. Overall, I am enjoying the run but unfortunately I am leaving Saturday so this Thursday is the last one I will see for awhile.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well I am down here in Mexico at the resort and brought my laptop and hdmi cord and hooked up to my TV in the room. I am watching via Netflix. I have to agree with everyone that Anson Mount is a great Pike. This season does feel more like Trek than last season however I do not care for the Section 31 introduction as it was one of the things I did not like about DS9. I feel such an organization would not exist in Roddenberry's utopia and is too analogous to something like the CIA. Overall, I am enjoying the run but unfortunately I am leaving Saturday so this Thursday is the last one I will see for awhile.

I agree the Section 31 episodes of DS9 were among my least favorite also. Its as if Starfleet has an Organization to undermine Star fleet intelligence. Kinda like B613 in "Scandal" I found the premise unappealing in both cases

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Two weeks in a row Discovery got me in the feels. First it was Saru and Michael...then it's Staments and Hugh. The look on both their faces when Hugh's arm disappeared was like a gut punch in the best possible way: it proved that, with all the failings of Season 1, there were good pieces to the season that made this moment mean something. Previously, in their quarters, when Paul is telling Hugh about their third date, t was the most real moment in a season I am generally happy with. This is what Season 1 was missing: the relationships. S1 was all about the whiz bang, the spectacle. Season 2 has settled down considerably into exploring the human (and alien) condition. Massive kudos.

For the limited amount of screen time Section 31 had this week, I'm okay with them as presented. Michelle's Yeoh's "hiss" to Michael early on was absolutely perfect. What I'm not okay with is they are essentially an open secret. They are uncovered in Enterprise (which predates Discovery). And then the "tribal knowledge" of Section 31 conveniently is forgotten or not passed down through TOS, TAS, the movies, TNG and half of DS9. That's not the way this stuff works.

If Section 31 is going to play that big a part in finding Spock, then at least the crew of Discovery, Pike and Spock know or will know about them. Even if Spock and Pike keep their mouths shut, what about the entire crew of Discovery? I don't think that's plausible. Maybe it'll work itself out in the long run.

One other item I haven't wrapped my head around: the size of Discovery relative to Tilly and Mae in the Network. I think it's way too small, proportionally.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One other item I haven't wrapped my head around: the size of Discovery relative to Tilly and Mae in the Network. I think it's way too small, proportionally.

I'm getting the sense that Discovery is a smaller ship than we're used to. Maybe it's just the way that they light the sets, or just the choice of characters that we follow, but it seems to be a smaller vessel, with a smaller crew, than the TOS Enterprise or any of the other ships that have had their own shows.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-I had a sense of scale from the final shots from Discovery’s season finale. From that, my sense it’s the same relative size as the Enterprise. And assuming the Discovery Enterprise is the same scale as the TOS Enterprise, that is about 1000 feet long. The Discovery does have those ridiculously long warp nacelles that makes the ship longer. I did find a site that has ship size comparisons.

E2A1304A-C0DD-4506-A646-84DA3A03147B.png

Of course this is all conjecture and we know that the ships in movies and TV shows are never consistent in size from show to show to film to film. The shuttlecraft Galileo from TOS has an interior set that’s larger then the exterior mock-up. The matte painting of the refit Enterprise from Star Trek The Motion Picture was terribly distorted in perspective. My thinking is the artist choose a size that best looks right on screen to tell the story, fit the image or looks cool. So I think the shots of Discovery poking into the Mycelial Network is distorted to fit the image. The saucer probably would look so big, you would not see enough to know what it was unless the camera pulled way back. :)

85AE3040-1878-49C0-B551-B21A06598279.jpeg
9448C053-DF20-4F71-9FE8-97A5DF3273AF.jpeg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm getting the sense that Discovery is a smaller ship than we're used to. Maybe it's just the way that they light the sets, or just the choice of characters that we follow, but it seems to be a smaller vessel, with a smaller crew, than the TOS Enterprise or any of the other ships that have had their own shows.

I should have clarified. I meant the size in relation to Tilly and Mae. It felt like they were out of proportion to the ship itself. It could have been me, it could have been a design choice to show things are different in the Network...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tonight is the best night of the week!

It’s my birthday tomorrow; tonight my wife is taking me to see my all-time favorite play which is currently being revived on Broadway, then a sushi dinner, and then The Orville, and then Discovery.

Needless to say, I can’t wait.

And then tomorrow I’m spending all day making/eating homemade fried chicken and ribs and watching movies. And I’m sure I’ll be back here reflecting on the new episode.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
What I'm not okay with is they are essentially an open secret.
Yes, a secret organization that has a special badge its members wear that when people see it, they go, "Section 31, huh?" That is patently dumb. I see Section 31 kinda like The Force in Star Wars. It shouldn't be overused. But like Disney did with The Force, it appears CBS is going to use Section 31 way too much. It would be far more fun if it was kept a deep dark secret, like its creators intended.

It’s my birthday tomorrow; tonight my wife is taking me to see my all-time favorite play which is currently being revived on Broadway, then a sushi dinner, and then The Orville, and then Discovery.
Have fun. Hopefully it'll be great episodes of both series to celebrate your birthday.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yes, a secret organization that has a special badge it's members wear that when people see it, they go, "Section 31, huh?" That is patently dumb. I see Section 31 kinda like The Force in Star Wars. It shouldn't be overused. But like Disney did with The Force, it appears CBS is going to use Section 31 way too much. It would be far more fun if it was kept a deep dark secret, like its creators intended.

It's kinda like the shark in Jaws, or the zenomorph in Alien or anything else that's shrouded in mystery. The more you peel back layers and humanize (so to speak) that "thing," the less mystical or cool or secret or whatever it becomes. It happened to the Borg, happened to Species 8472, happened to the Mirror Universe and it's gonna happen here.

But hey. I'm still really enjoying this season. It's great to be saying that about first run Trek again.

Happy early birthday Josh!!!!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It was an ill conceived plot device that should have never been used. I am sorry to see it propagated here.
Without a doubt Gene Roddenberry would go ballistic over this organization. It is exactly the kind of organization his future vision of humanity did not need. That was part of his point.

That said, I can see where you might need covert ops once in a while, granted. But to bring it front and center is neither logical nor what Star Trek should be about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks