What's new

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Any Plans For a Remaster? (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I thought i would repeat the edited comments from this DS9 buyer. Why you might ask??? I fell into the trap i warned everyone else about. Here are the comments from that fan.

When I received the DS9 Box Set even though it was shrink wrapped, one of the seasons was facing in the opposite direction. After opening each season, they all felt really cheap and fell apart immediately. I'm telling you guys, if your set looks like this, and you bought it 'new'you just purchased counterfeit goods, my friends! I knew it the second I looked at it.

After receiving the 'real' product from Amazon, I can say that you will knowyours is real because the colors on the plastic are vibrant and quitevisible.

The knock-offs are getting good, so buy from Amazon directly. It is easily worth the extra money to get the real thing, and I am very pleasedwith it. Hope this helps someone.

I had to in the end buy from Amazon direct. The problems i had on the other set vanished. The statements in the above review are true. I was shocked. I read some where here it is best at time of purchase to always check your sets rather then put them away for later viewing. This is very good advice to anyone be it movie tv series whatever.

I did make sure that i bought from a seller with high postive feedback and many transactions.

Money returned without question. I just feel bad for those who get trapped with a bad set from China or wherever on ebay or Amazon Market Place. Get your money back at the first sign of trouble. The whole set will in the end have problems

The Amazon set came today. I still had my list of bad dvds and guess what no problems.

I want to comment once again about the quality of the dvds on my panasonic 2008 blu ray player on my samsung 2008 LCD TV. The show to me looks fantastic. I do not understand why i do not see the problems in the films. The shows are up converted on the blu ray and i have loved everyone of them.

I intend to buy TNG if it goes HD. I loved the show. DS9 still holds as number one to me in the entire Star Trek Series. I love the characters and actors who protray them. The storys and War was as i said a stroke of genius by the writers.

I used to watch Voyager the lady captain is great!! But when ratings were down i heard one show described to watch this week as "Lust in Space" that did it for me. I watched the last season somewhat and of course the last show which was very well done. The best show in the series i would say. I may get season 7 because they had some good shows at the last.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We nearly got suckered into some Chinese counterfeits on a STAR TREK: VOYAGER set.

After no problems at all with TNG and DS9 sets - most bought from Amazon marketplace sellers - we began our VOYAGER journey in late 2009 by finding the first two seasons in a Walmart store for a reasonable $30. I suggested them to the wife who was looking for some Christmas presents for me, and she agreed.

We began watching them at Christmas that year, and we both realized that we'd need to get more sets to continue all the way through the series. Once again we headed to the Amazon marketplace and ordered seasons three and four from two different sellers. Season four arrived first and when I opened it, I immediately knew it was a knock-off. It was sealed in shrink-wrap, but it wasn't the same style of packaging that had graced seasons one and two. I didn't even bother attempting to play the discs - it didn't matter to me - these were fakes.

We contacted the seller and he claimed to be shocked that these were counterfeits and was quick to return our money and we sent the set back. We then bought season four straight from Amazon for a few dollars more, and had no more issues going through season seven.

So you do have to be careful with these sets, particularly in the marketplace.

DS9 is one of our favorites too. We tend to rotate out STAR TREK viewing among the various series and we're nearing the end of TNG, so a DS9 viewing is just around the corner. DS9's mastering does indeed leave something to be desired, particularly some of the darker scenes, and it's always been a bit soft. And the softness just gets magnified on today's larger screens.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Counterfeit Invasion of The Star Trek Series. Here is what one fan just posted at Amazon yesterday on the Voyager Series.

I ordered this item with the understanding that it would be new. Two of the discs skip during at least one episode and it looks like a copy that was made, but advertised as "new."

I bought season 7 of Voyager but not ebay or Market Place. I bought it straight from Amazon. The whole thing is distrubing. People are being fooled and they do not know it. Ebay Amazon Market Place and yes Ioffer.com. Someone on Ioffer. tried to sell me DS9. I emailed repeatly what is your source. The seller finaly told me it was China. I then bought it on Ebay and the rest is history Knock offs is what i received.

The bottom line is this. You like to gamble then buy from these sellers. I look at ebay where i purchased mine. I was lucky to received full reimbursment from my seller. I say if you see multiple sets being sold by the same seller do not risk it.

I still like my DS9 quailtiy. I have a 50 inch Samsung LCD they look great to me. I have never seen any tv dvds that come close to Voyage though in picture quality. I will say that DS9 upconvert on my panasonic blu ray looks good on my set.

I am glad Harry you did not get sucked in. I just hope bringing this up here will stop others from getting sucked in.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Mark Collins
The Counterfeit Invasion of The Star Trek Series. Here is what one fan just posted at Amazon yesterday on the Voyager Series.

I ordered this item with the understanding that it would be new. Two of the discs skip during at least one episode and it looks like a copy that was made, but advertised as "new."

I bought season 7 of Voyager but not ebay or Market Place. I bought it straight from Amazon. The whole thing is distrubing. People are being fooled and they do not know it. Ebay Amazon Market Place and yes Ioffer.com. Someone on Ioffer. tried to sell me DS9. I emailed repeatly what is your source. The seller finaly told me it was China. I then bought it on Ebay and the rest is history Knock offs is what i received.

The bottom line is this. You like to gamble then buy from these sellers. I look at ebay where i purchased mine. I was lucky to received full reimbursment from my seller. I say if you see multiple sets being sold by the same seller do not risk it.

I still like my DS9 quailtiy. I have a 50 inch Samsung LCD they look great to me. I have never seen any tv dvds that come close to Voyage though in picture quality. I will say that DS9 upconvert on my panasonic blu ray looks good on my set.

I am glad Harry you did not get sucked in. I just hope bringing this up here will stop others from getting sucked in.
Too bad about all of the bootlegs on Amazon and other sites. I'll keep that in mind if I end up getting more seasons of Trek on DVD. I used to order from Deep Discount many years ago, but Amazon started beating them on price.

Voyager looks pretty good for DVD and picture quality? I have season 1 and thought it was ok. Is it maybe the later seasons that look really good? I have a 54" plasma.

While on the subject of Trek..

http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/21/jj-abrams-still-working-on-star-trek-sequel-script-announcement-soon/

Late 2012 or Summer 2013? June 2012 seems like it could be a real time crunch?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
While we're on the subject of legit Trek DVD sets, StarTrek.com has Voyager sets for $30 each. They're all back ordered right now, but this is probably as legit as you can get.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The saga of the counterfeit Star Trek TV series continues. TNG is full of knock offs from what i read over weekend. The fans even give tips on which TNG box you should stay away from and which to buy. I even shall print here what one fan complained of on the DS9 series just this weekend.

Season 3 Disc 2 has disc 3's epsoides and I can't find Disc 2's epsoides anywhere.

I was so busy that i did not even see that Amazon filled my Voyager season 7 with a Market Place Seller. I have accepted this in the past but not this time. I phoned Amazon they canceled the order and told me they had a copy to send me from Amazon. I told them about the counterfeit business and i would not trust anyone on market place. I told them to read the reviews on the Star Trek series posted at Amazon.com

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I find Amazon.com's policy of replacing primary listings with MarketPlace sellers intensely annoying - probably more so than others because I am outside of the USA and often find that "bargain prices" are unusable because the sellers only ship domestically. This sometimes happens even when fulfillment is by Amazon and in that case the only way to check is to put it in the basket and get told "we are unable to ship this item to your address"

IMHO the primary listing should always be sold and fulfilled by Amazon, marketplace sellers always be in the "New and used" subsection.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I should have mentioned it was a weekend sale celebrating the Voyager finale's anniversary. My confirm shows they'll be shipped at the end of June.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Jason_V
I should have mentioned it was a weekend sale celebrating the Voyager finale's anniversary. My confirm shows they'll be shipped at the end of June.
Darn. I would've picked up seasons 2-7!!

Congrats to all those who got in on this steal!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
My chat with Amazon about Star Trek Counterfeits did nothing. Amazon still had Voyager which i received today packaged by a market place dealer. I watched endgame whic i enjoyed. I still say the effects on my set look good. I check all the discs and they played. I am not however going to sit and watch hour after hour of Trek as one fan told me they were doing for defects.

Amazon has Voyager at 43.00. I hate to keep repeating this but remember if you bid on ebay or buy from market place like you take your chances. Harry had a bad experence and so did I with DS9.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
SNG blu-ray sample by years end. Now we DS9 Fans may have hope for an HD set. I will buy that sampler set that Bill Hunt speaks of too. I hope CBS will read this thread and see how much all of the fans of this great series want a better print and would pay for it. The news CBS will have have TNG ready by 2012 is great news. Bill Hunt said early this year to wait and he was right!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying the HD remaster of TNG is positively confirmed? Do you have a link?
I can see the Digital Bits report from Comic Con, but it says they are still in R&D with 4 test episodes being worked on. I guess you can call me the Ancient Skeptic. I'll beleive it more when there's a more official announcement. And then I'll gladly buy them.:)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I only read this from Bill Hunt today.
Multiple sources I spoke with at Comic-Con have also confirmed our report from earlier this year that CBS is hard at work on Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered for Blu-ray release starting sometime in 2012. The latest word is that 4 test episodes are currently being worked on for release as a sampler/demo BD disc of the project, and that sampler disc will somehow be available to fans by the end of this year. Watch for additional news in the months ahead.
Hey nothing wrong with being a skeptic. I think this is great news but you are right about official and perhaps Dave and Gord will expand on this when they feel the time is right.
I just think when TNG goes BD all the Star Trek Series will fall into place. I hope DS9 would come after but granted that could be awhile.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I am believing more that a remaster is becoming more likely of TNG. I read some comments from a guy called Vidiot on the Hoffmann forums and he tells of his efforts to do some test samples several years ago and they looked fantastic from the film negatives.
The main trouble he sees is reassembling all the cuts. Back then there was poor record keeping of the cuts. These were the days before bar codes were used to label film elements. As we know, it will be quite an effort to eye match the original cuts.
One cool thing out of this is edits from the new CGI effects will be made without the need to cutting earlier into the live action during fades as they had to do with TOS.
I just finished re-watching DS9. The effects heavy battles of the final season were CGI as far as I know. So it might be easier to remaster the later seasons CGI.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I purchased DS9 this year on ebay. I had to return it to the seller because it was one of those import copies. I also received emails from other fans who asked me if this dvd did not play etc.I checked ebay and people are still buying the counterfeit DvDs. I have reported this here on HTF about these imports but people must not know of HTF.
I went ahead and purchased DS9 the complete series from Amazon and thought the last season looked ok. I want better if it is offered. I also bought Voyager the last season from Amazon.I want DS9 in BD!! The show is my favorite among all the Star Trek series. I want the best print i can have. I might not get for awhile but i think it come to BD now that TNG is going BD.
I bought Dark Shadows twice. The whole series from VHS copies to DVD and their extras plus the prime time series.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea looks great in my blue ray player. I hope they at least do a BD of the movie. I wish for the Lost in Space Fans that Fox would give another look at it. I just do not think it will come about. The last part of Voyage took i believe 2 years or more.
I am wondering which episodes will be the sample. The Best Of Both Worlds could be it. I think they released a dvd on the Borg at one point. Perhaps they will use that as their sample.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Today is Thursday DS9 Fans and I am getting very excited about this turn of events. I like my dvds but i would like better!!! Now I am very glad i never purchased TNG. I can buy it now in HD. I hope we hear today or by the weekend as Bill Hunt perdicts

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I love them both but I love DS9 the best! I guess I would rate them TNG next and then Voyager. TNG is on 5 nights a week here in Chicago on the ME TV Network. We also get Batman which looks great and Gunsomoke. The shows that air on MeTV seem to be unedited from what i can tell.
CAUTION to all Star Trek fans who buy the DVDS on line from ebay to Amazon market place. The China copies look real but they are not real!! I bought them and friends have too. We all had to ask the seller for our money back!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I had a long very long conversation with Trek. The fans and I were waiting in line for tickets for first of the last Star Wars movies.
The fans and I were debating the merits of each Trek Series. The war with the Dominion was one of the best plots I thought in Trek history. I thought the serial format the writers introduced was another brilliant strategy.
The killing off of one of the main characters in season 6 very smart. I also remember the count down to the series conclusion in season 7. I liked season 7 so much I would watch each episode twice when it aired on two different channels.
DS9 also had to carry the Trek Flag alone until Voyager arrived on the scene. The addition to the cast a TNG character another good move. The introduction of the Defiant reminded me of the flying sub intro on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Vic’s and the Vegas Lounge and parallel time gave the actors time off from their normal roles. The episode where all the actors removed their make up in a 40’s fantasy was fantastic! I liked the episode where they paid honor to Star Trek. Sorry fans I just enjoyed the episode.
The pregnancy storyline was artfully dispatched I thought. The series finale was brilliant!
Voyager also had a very excellent finale to their series. The TNG finale I enjoyed but the other two later series finales were better.
The use of humor to lighten up DS9 was another genius stroke by writers. DS9 became it’s own show and did not need to copy any of the two Treks before it.
I own DS9 the only yes only Trek show I do have. I have all the Trek movies good and bad too.
I would buy DS9 in HD if it comes about. I think it is the only series I would every buy in HD.
I know a lot of people complain how DS9 looks. The show on my LED Samsung and bulray player looks good to me. Sorry again fans but it does.
I will be buying TNG in HD if the price is not too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks