What's new

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Alternate Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry Ric, I got the nogginless covered as soon as I have some actual DVD source pics to work from (all I've got are VHS captures, blech!)

If you don't mind, I'd like to steal your Spinescene tho, I can't do better ;)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
As for moving the station and Defiant over (on the spines)a little bit, I kind of like them where they are. Besides, now the Defiant only cuts across 2 spines instead of 3. I think it will line up better.
Ric, I understand your reasons completely. As far as the season indicators are concerned, several people in this thread seem to be leaning toward the comm badges #1 (yourself included). I couldn't dissagree more, for one simple reason:

It's probably the design you'll use for Voyager (assuming you do a Voyager set) as nothing else would really work for them. I'd prefer each set (TNG, DS9, VOY) to have a little individualism. Therefore, I still pick #3. I like it even more with your changes.

I just can't stomach the thought of DS9:emoji_thumbsup: and Voyager:thumbsdown: loooking remotely similar.

Jeff Bannow

Agent
I'd like to vote as well for anything but #1 ... it is too similar for my tastes.

Great looking cover btw, Ric!

- Jeff

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Let me tell you, designing by commitee is not easy!

Jonathan's comment that DS9 only orbited Bajor during the pilot episode has started to bother me a smidgeon. I really like the shot though. So I am trying it out for season 1 instead of the wormhole.

Larger Version

Now that I see them both together, I think I like the wormhole better. I guess I like the fact that Sisko's arms are crossed and he is off center. It didn't really work for the present picture. I sure would like to use that shot of the station though. Bajor still has a giant influence in season 2. Does it really matter that the shot is a more figurative representation of the season, than a literal one?

Back to the spine...Jonathan, the Defiant cannot be shifted over. It is covering up an area where a runabout appeared in the picture.

I really want to use that shot of the station on the spine because i like the way it is lit, and it also pretty much matches the lighting on the Defiant.

Also... It looks like the combadges are between the delta symbol and the silver station symbol with the gold number. I can go with either one.

I knew I should have taken this month off!

Ric

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone noticed that I can't even spell "Alternate" right in the title of this thread?!

Oh, and Jeff... You are welcome to use my spine design. Though I know from earlier transactions you have trouble receiving large files.

Ric

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
IMHO designing by committee doesn't usually result in inspired creativity. Go with your gut feeling Ric.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Gotta echo Jeff. Go with yer gutt Ric! Your covers rock! Don't worry about pleasing EVERYONE. Won't work. ;)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I know that someone has said these cases are kind of cheap, (I guess the plastic does not hold up that well) but I still think they look pretty sweet. It's a shame that Paramount did not use these for Region 1. They could have saved me a ton of work.

I also see that they do not have a problem using the Delta combadge symbol!

Ric

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
...still think you should stick with the combadge. I don't know why some people link it so specifically to Voyager. It's the *StarFleet* delta. Not the DS9/VOY delta. :D

Yah... those R2 covers sure look nice. But I too have heard several reports on how flimsy they are. I'll stick with Ric's covers. (If I could EVER get my 7-disc cases!!)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I know that someone has said these cases are kind of cheap, (I guess the plastic does not hold up that well) but I still think they look pretty sweet. It's a shame that Paramount did not use these for Region 1. They could have saved me a ton of work.

I also see that they do not have a problem using the Delta combadge symbol!
Oops, my fault on both counts! :D

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
Ric, those DS9 covers are excellent. I prefer the cardassian style numbers rather than the com badges as it keeps it in the style of the DS9 station. You have done a marvelous job on both DS9 and the TNG covers.

I have the R2 (UK) versions of the TNG sets and I can say that they are not cheap plastic and they are very nice to look at. I took some quick photos if anyone would like to see the actual case rather than PR pictures.

Some TNG box photo's

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the photos, Nicholas. I still think they look pretty sharp! I wonder how much more the boxsets would have cost if they had released them like that here. Too bad you can't just order the empty packaging.

Ric

Jeff Bannow

Agent
Does anyone know what the disc count for the seven seasons will be? I thought one would be a 6 disc with the rest 7 discs. Gotta order my cases while I can. ;)

- Jeff

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what the disc count for the seven seasons will be? I thought one would be a 6 disc with the rest 7 discs. Gotta order my cases while I can.
If it helps, the R2 of season 1 is 6 discs and the rest should be 7 discs.

Season 1 is 20 epidsodes (including the pilot as a double episode) and the rest of the seasons are 26 episodes.

nicholas_g

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the photos, Nicholas. I still think they look pretty sharp! I wonder how much more the boxsets would have cost if they had released them like that here. Too bad you can't just order the empty packaging.
I pay £55 ($90)online for the sets but some places have them as high has £90 ($150). I don't think it is that much because of the packaging, as The X Files seasons are the same price and they have the same cardboard packaging as the R1 versions.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Just a general request, if someone gets the sets early please post here so I can request some screenshots :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Y'know what? The R2 packaging looks cool in those pics (and thanks for posting them Nicholas!) but they look like they are just as much of a pain to get into as the R1 packaging. I hate these huge gatefolds.

I'll stick with 7-disc alpha's with Ric's covers. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks