What's new

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I actually like insurrection too. Not a fan of nemesis though. I also didn’t care for into darkness.

Insurrection is unfairly maligned...until you get to the third act. Up until then, I'm on board and I'm digging the score, location shooting and the story. When the really fairly awful CGI turns up, I can't take the movie seriously anymore.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Insurrection reminds me very much of a TNG two-part episode, where it starts out great, but the resolution doesn't live up to the potential promised at the start. For almost every two-parter that TNG did, I end up liking part 1 significantly more than part 2.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing that always flummoxed me about Insurrection is that it had the production values of a TNG two-parter, after Frakes did such a great job making First Contact feel so cinematic. The fact that Insurrection cost nearly twice as much to make is frankly astounding to me.

Nemesis is a complete piece of shit, but at least it looks like a movie.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Insurrection is unfairly maligned...until you get to the third act. Up until then, I'm on board and I'm digging the score, location shooting and the story. When the really fairly awful CGI turns up, I can't take the movie seriously anymore.

Love the score!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The thing that always flummoxed me about Insurrection is that it had the production values of a TNG two-parter, after Frakes did such a great job making First Contact feel so cinematic. The fact that Insurrection cost nearly twice as much to make is frankly astounding to me.

The location shooting was really expensive on insurrection..
I have the making of book but haven’t read it in years!!

Agreed on the effects. They used a less Ervin pant and got lousy effects.

“We’re through running from these bastards!”

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Insurrection is what happens when you start shooting the film even when everyone involved is unhappy with the script. It’s a shame, because the movie does have quite a bit of heart and does a lot to advance the characters forward, but is hamstrung by a central concept that doesn’t really work.

I actually like Nemesis. It’s by no means perfect but like you say, it *feels* like a movie. And I think it has some good stuff in it too. There are some flaws and some ideas that don’t quite work but I don’t think it’s a total disaster. Realize I’m in the minority on that one!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Picked up some used Blurays and Star Trek Beyond was one of them. This one really does capture the spirit of the original series and I really enjoyed my rewatch.
I don't think I can really agree that any of the NuTreks capture the feeling of the Original Series. All three stories are driven by revenge, which was actually a very uncommon theme in Star Trek. This is probably why none of them really felt quite right to me.

---------------

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Insurrection is what happens when you start shooting the film even when everyone involved is unhappy with the script. It’s a shame, because the movie does have quite a bit of heart and does a lot to advance the characters forward, but is hamstrung by a central concept that doesn’t really work.

I actually like Nemesis. It’s by no means perfect but like you say, it *feels* like a movie. And I think it has some good stuff in it too. There are some flaws and some ideas that don’t quite work but I don’t think it’s a total disaster. Realize I’m in the minority on that one!
I like Nemesis a lot too.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

There was the alternate ending on insurrection too.
I still think it’s a good one if a bit underwhelming.

I remember nemesis was the one where I was looking at my watch to see how much was left.
It takes forever to get going imo. It always feels off to me when I watch it.

At any rates it’s been a very long time since I watched any of the tng films! I should watch that dusty blu ray set!!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I like Nemesis a lot too.

Agree completely.

I thought Tom Hardy was outstanding, although at the time it was released, I had no clue who he was, and only discovered it was him years later when his star really began to rise. The man is a chameleon.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah I remember his biggest credit at the time was Black Hawk Down.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Tom Hardy is great in the film, but I think it's also a flaw of the film that there's pretty much zero resemblance shared between Hardy and Patrick Stewart in any measurable fashion.

The moment when the crew is invited on board the Romulan ship and they have a meeting with a dark shadowy figure (Hardy) who then asks for the lights to be turned on slowly... the Enterprise crew gasps when they see him, but no one in the audience did when I saw it in theaters. We just had no idea that Hardy is meant to be a Picard clone. (It also doesn't work because we've seen a younger Picard on the series, in the episode "Tapestry," and we know what he's meant to look like at that age, which for him included having hair. Not only does Hardy not look like Stewart, he doesn't look a thing like the younger Picard we saw in "Tapestry".)

Imagine how well that scene would have played if they either would have gotten the actor from the Tapestry episode, or if the CGI de-aging technology was available then. Or, if the script had been written to allow for the clone to appear to be the same age as the real Picard. I think that scene, and everything that follows, would play so much better if the Picard clone actually resembled Picard in some way.

That's not really a script problem or the fault of Tom Hardy, who is great in the part even if he should never have been asked to play it; that's just some shortsighted casting.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I felt the deep bass was lacking on this release, much like recent Marvel titles the very deep notes were not there, graphs have been plotted at the ‘other’ forum which reveal there is no deep bass, there is plenty of mid bass muscle but no deep bass.

Usually i will feel the bass when a large starship crashes, not with this title, its unfortunate because it does have a nice sound mix, it just lacks the very deep bass you feel that a good SVS subwoofer can produce without distortion.

Forgot to add, Paramount usually use the theatrical mix on their home releases, so this is probably the theatrical mix, it sounded fine except for the lack of deep low end bass that you would hope to find on a modern mixed soundtrack, the first of the new Trek films had a very good soundmix, some nice low end bass, the sequel, Into Darkness had decent sound but timid in the bass department, this one has no low end bass, just mid bass and i find that strange.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I felt the deep bass was lacking on this release, much like recent Marvel titles the very deep notes were not there, graphs have been plotted at the ‘other’ forum which reveal there is no deep bass, there is plenty of mid bass muscle but no deep bass.

Usually i will feel the bass when a large starship crashes, not with this title, its unfortunate because it does have a nice sound mix, it just lacks the very deep bass you feel that a good SVS subwoofer can produce without distortion.

Forgot to add, Paramount usually use the theatrical mix on their home releases, so this is probably the theatrical mix, it sounded fine except for the lack of deep low end bass that you would hope to find on a modern mixed soundtrack, the first of the new Trek films had a very good soundmix, some nice low end bass, the sequel, Into Darkness had decent sound but timid in the bass department, this one has no low end bass, just mid bass and i find that strange.

I wonder if the differences between the mixes of the films may be that the theatrical divisions are running home video now.maybe they don’t dedicate any time on control to reviewing or creating a home theater mix?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I asked my wife what she wanted to do for her upcoming birthday and she said she wanted to watch her favorite episode of TOS (The Cloud Minders), her favorite episode of TAS (Yesteryear), her favorite episode of TNG (Darmok), her favorite episode of DS9 (In the Pale Moonlight), her favorite episode of VOY (Timeless), her favorite episode of ENT (Shuttlepod One), The Wrath of Khan, First Contact, and Beyond.

I told her I would tweak the home theater and make it happen. I sure as hell wish I had DS9 and VOY in HD for her. When I talked about the Kelvin movies, there was no hesitation: Beyond was her hands down favorite. When I mentioned she had included something from every iteration except Discovery, she had forgotten completely about the series. "It didn't feel like Star Trek to me. I guess I forgot. I'm okay without that one."

The way I figure it, we better start early because we are looking at about 12 hours if we don't rush between presentations. I am going to present her with a tiny little ST gift at the start of each episode, and have appropriate ST soundtrack music playing between screenings.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I don't think I can really agree that any of the NuTreks capture the feeling of the Original Series. All three stories are driven by revenge, which was actually a very uncommon theme in Star Trek.

That's because everyone is trying to re-make the ultimate Star Trek revenge story, The Wrath Of Khan. The success of that film has been a blessing and a curse for the franchise. Paramount wants action packed set pieces in their movies. Which I agree, Star Trek was never initially about. And their inclusion seem out of place and tend to pad the films out unnecessarily at times. A Star Trek film like TMP will never happen again in my lifetime.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I forgot to
I wonder if the differences between the mixes of the films may be that the theatrical divisions are running home video now.maybe they don’t dedicate any time on control to reviewing or creating a home theater mix?
That cannot be it, with Paramount it seems to be a decision made by whoever oversees the mix because many other Paramount flicks use the theatrical mix and have very deep low bass.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
We’ll talk about being star-crossed! Looks like for now at least, Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth will not be reprising their roles in the next Star Trek Movie.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.deno...after-chris-hemsworth-and-chris-pine-drop-out

Also noted that one of the future films includes a time travel element. Hey I’ve got an idea . They can travel back in time to bring back an endangered species whale to the future to help save the Earth from some alien probe and...
Oh
Wait
Shucks nevermind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks