Star Trek:Animated and Enterprise coming to dvd....

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, Jun 14, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

2. david_slater

david_slater Stunt Coordinator

i know and ill be geting them both for sure... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    now to find someone to buy my tapes of star trek cartoons. [​IMG]

3. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG]

MINE!

[​IMG]

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

[​IMG]

MINE!

[​IMG]

5. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Already there!!!! Gotta tell the wife to start saving her dollars for me now [​IMG]

6. Bill Williams

Already there!!!! Gotta tell the wife to start saving her dollars for me now [​IMG]

7. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Excellent. I haven't seen these(animated) since I was a kid. How many times did Paramount says no plans no plans no plans?

8. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Excellent. I haven't seen these(animated) since I was a kid. How many times did Paramount says no plans no plans no plans?

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

With Enterprise arriving that soon, it pretty much tells you that next season is the series' last one.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

With Enterprise arriving that soon, it pretty much tells you that next season is the series' last one.

11. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well, that and their budget-per-episode being slashed in half...

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Well, that and their budget-per-episode being slashed in half...

13. Bill Williams

I agree. It seems pretty solid that at this point they're just concerned with getting close to the 100-episode tally so they can kill it off in '05 and start gearing it to syndication or Spike TV. The ratings this year have been so horrible, thanks to American Idol, that UPN feels it can garner more viewers by moving it to Friday nights after "special edition" reruns of America's Next Top Model in a timeslot that has consistently ranked the lowest. Add to that the fact that they cut back on the number of episodes this past season from the standard 26 to 24, and now being cut down further to 22 (something Scott Bakula has stomped for), and that spells cancellation.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time that this has happened to Star Trek. The Original Series experienced a similar problem back in 1968-69. You'd think that UPN and Paramount would have learned their lesson by now, but they haven't. (Then again, if it weren't for cancellation, TOS wouldn't have spawned the feature films and the four TV spinoffs, so history may repeat itself, you never know...)

But it wouldn't be the first series to start appearing on DVD while still in production. Smallville, for example, is already heading into its fourth season on TV, and there are talks underway to get the third season on DVD by the end of the year.

I'll definitely pick up TAS and Enterprise on DVD when they come out. Now if Paramount would just do something about those extremely high price tags for their season sets. I for one do not plan to shell out $100+ a season set at the stores, I'd rather wait and find it through Amazon, eBay, or other discount retailers for much less, if not get a good used set. Paramount should really learn some serious lessons from other sources like the WB and price its Trek sets more affordably the same way the WB does for Smallville.

14. Bill Williams

I agree. It seems pretty solid that at this point they're just concerned with getting close to the 100-episode tally so they can kill it off in '05 and start gearing it to syndication or Spike TV. The ratings this year have been so horrible, thanks to American Idol, that UPN feels it can garner more viewers by moving it to Friday nights after "special edition" reruns of America's Next Top Model in a timeslot that has consistently ranked the lowest. Add to that the fact that they cut back on the number of episodes this past season from the standard 26 to 24, and now being cut down further to 22 (something Scott Bakula has stomped for), and that spells cancellation.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time that this has happened to Star Trek. The Original Series experienced a similar problem back in 1968-69. You'd think that UPN and Paramount would have learned their lesson by now, but they haven't. (Then again, if it weren't for cancellation, TOS wouldn't have spawned the feature films and the four TV spinoffs, so history may repeat itself, you never know...)

But it wouldn't be the first series to start appearing on DVD while still in production. Smallville, for example, is already heading into its fourth season on TV, and there are talks underway to get the third season on DVD by the end of the year.

I'll definitely pick up TAS and Enterprise on DVD when they come out. Now if Paramount would just do something about those extremely high price tags for their season sets. I for one do not plan to shell out $100+ a season set at the stores, I'd rather wait and find it through Amazon, eBay, or other discount retailers for much less, if not get a good used set. Paramount should really learn some serious lessons from other sources like the WB and price its Trek sets more affordably the same way the WB does for Smallville.

15. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

That's apples and oranges. The Old School Trek went on to enjoy a long and healthy life because it was good. Enterprise, on the other hand sucks ass.

History is not going to repeat itself here.

16. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

That's apples and oranges. The Old School Trek went on to enjoy a long and healthy life because it was good. Enterprise, on the other hand sucks ass.

History is not going to repeat itself here.

17. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm optomistic that two things will help Enterprise this season, Manny Cotto taking the helm of the show and the DVD releases that could go on to raise the show's profile and could help the fourth season for those discovering it on DVD, if they're released early enough.

The TAS release will be great. But for those of you who have not seen this show in years could be in for a surprise. I recently took a look at my laserdiscs of TAS and the animation and some of the design and artwork is truely bad. Yet it does try to maintain the feel of TOS. The voice work is also flat, Shatner and Nimoy lamented that it was difficult without the others actors in the room to react to, they were in a booth alone most of the time. The stories were pretty good with several stinkers thrown in of course. Extra's will be great, an interivew with the original producer would be good to see. I read an interview with him a few years ago and he shares a lot of interesting information on the show. It's the first time that studio did real life character work, IIRC. It was hampered by a tight budget though.

Nelson

18. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm optomistic that two things will help Enterprise this season, Manny Cotto taking the helm of the show and the DVD releases that could go on to raise the show's profile and could help the fourth season for those discovering it on DVD, if they're released early enough.

The TAS release will be great. But for those of you who have not seen this show in years could be in for a surprise. I recently took a look at my laserdiscs of TAS and the animation and some of the design and artwork is truely bad. Yet it does try to maintain the feel of TOS. The voice work is also flat, Shatner and Nimoy lamented that it was difficult without the others actors in the room to react to, they were in a booth alone most of the time. The stories were pretty good with several stinkers thrown in of course. Extra's will be great, an interivew with the original producer would be good to see. I read an interview with him a few years ago and he shares a lot of interesting information on the show. It's the first time that studio did real life character work, IIRC. It was hampered by a tight budget though.

Nelson

19. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I've never seen TAS at all, not a single episode, so I'll be very glad to get this. Enterprise, on the other hand...

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I've never seen TAS at all, not a single episode, so I'll be very glad to get this. Enterprise, on the other hand...