What's new

Star Trek 6, uneven letterboxes? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I picked up Star Trek:The Motion Picture and ST:The Undiscovered Country last night.
I noticed that on TUC, the letterbox at the top of the screen is much thinner than the one at the bottom. It is a very drastic difference, about a full inch on my 32" TV.
Anyone else notice this? Is there a reason for this, or just an error in mastering the DVD?
I havent noticed this problem on any other DVD's yet.
Jeff Peake

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
It might be one of those movies where the movie is pushed up in the frame to allow more room for subtitles.

Anton Ruzic

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently both the laserdisc and DVD versions of ST:TUC are incorrectly framed, as the film was shot in Super 35 and transfered without the supervision of cinematographer Hiro Narita.
Anton

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,
They just used the incorrectly framed, D2 composite laserdisc master for this DVD. It too was shoved up on the screen for the subtitles.
The upcoming SE, I'm sure, will correct this as it will more than likely get a new HD transfer.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes this is so. I believe that the subtitles do not correctly fall into the lower black bar either, pure hell if you want subtitles and you are viewing on a 16x9 screen.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I would have thought that the uneven letterboxing was done to be 16x9 friendly, even though it was not anamorphic, but I've heard that on 16x9 monitors zoom mode, the subtitles are cut off.
Of all the Star Trek movies, I think this is the one most in need of a Special Edition reissue. I have never understood what was up with the 2:1 AR.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Heat on laserdisc is the same way, though I can't recall any subtitles in the film...
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
STAR TREK 6 seems to have been transfered using the full Super 35 negative exposed. The film was shown in theaters in anamorphic 2.35:1
I have found that using my mattes and matting slightly at the top and more at the bottom to 2.35 gives me an appealing, natural looking composition.
Hopefully when PARAMOUNT graces this film with an anamorphic transfer, they get the aspect ratio right at 2.35:1
------------------
LuvLBX

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Has work begun on an SE for 6? Any idea when the disc will street?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Has work begun on an SE for 6? Any idea when the disc will street?
I doubt it at this point.
They are starting all over again from the beginning with ST-II up next by summer 2002. If they do 2 a year then VI will be out by early 2004. That's just a wild guess though, so don't quote me.
Joel

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It seems like a long wait. I thought the 007 sets were done very well and they were all out in about a year? Paramount and DVD seem to be working on another schedule though. Also, the have a lot more films to get out I suppose. It would be nice to have everything out sooner that one every six months. (7 months then for Star Trek 2?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks