Star Trek 5, Rockman Footage...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeathStar1, Dec 27, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

When I initially heard the idea of the Rockman, I thought of some cheap sci-fi budgeted costume that looked like the Lizard Man Shatner fought in the original se ries. However, the Rockman designed for the movie looked rather cool. I wonder why they didn't use it?

Maby they couldn't figure out how to work with what they had?

2. Eggert

Eggert Agent

There were a number of reasons. Nr. 1 the suit proved to be very expensive so the number of rockmen to be used was reduced. Eventually they only had one suit to work with. That suit worked fine during practice but broke down on the set if I remember correctly, and they couldn't (or perhaps just decided to not try) fix it.

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    According to Shatner's "Star Trek Movie Memories" book, the original plan was to have six rockmen. Then the budget was slashed to three, and then finally to one. They figured they'd probably be able to use some trick photography and special effects to make it seem like there were at least a couple more, if necessary. The thing tested beautifully, but when it was time to actually photograph it, it just would not work. Since they were shooting on location (rather than at the studio), there was no way for the designers of the Rockman to come and fix it that day, and with no time or money for added location shooting days, it had to be cut from the film.

4. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

What did it look like? Anything like the Rockman in "Galaxy Quest?"

"Can you make a rudimentary lathe?"

Phil

5. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Oh, and not to geek out too much but I saw Shatner speak a year or so ago and he indicated that he was trying to get the funding up to "finish" Star Trek 5 to fit his image of the film. Bad movie aside, I do feel bad for the old boy. He didn't get the kind of resources that 4 or 6 had, I don't think. Thus we get a crappy FX house doing the space shots and not ILM (and it shows). He was trying to get it for the eventual release of the SE ST V but apparently that didn't happen. Oh well.

Phil

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Phil, there was a long thread here a few months back lamenting how it would have been great if Paramount had allow Shatner to redo the effects. A lot of fans here and in Trek fandom tried to convince Paramount too. Bottom line, they wouldn't let him do it. I thought if he really wanted to, he could have afforded to pay for new effects himself, but I'm sure there were legal issues and who gets a piece of the profits on the DVD and stuff like that.

I posted here last month a link to a page where a fan took the Rockman footage from the DVD Rockman test footage and edited it into the movie. and made a short Quicktime movie of that sequence using the footage. It wasn't too bad. I tried to do a search here, but I didn't find my post! I'll try again later and update here if the thread is still alive.

Nelson

edit: I found it, here's a link to the fan made Star Trek 5 Rockman Redux footage. I hope you have a fast connection: http://www.itmustbetold.com/trekvrockman.mov

7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

Star Trek V came out in the summer of 1989, which was the same summer of Batman, Lethal Weapon 2, Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, and a few others. ILM was crazed, and they just weren't going to be able to accomodate the film to be released when Paramount wanted it out. I really think a ton of mistakes were made during the making of the movie. The script needed work, and to be brutally honest, there was probably no way to make that story fit into Star Trek. (As Leonard Nimoy put it, the plot can be summed up as "In tonight's episode of Star Trek, the Enterprise goes off in search of God" and, Nimoy added, you can't really find God in a movie.) The first two thirds of the movie are pretty good, but it just ends with a thud. To be fair, though, the direction from a technical standpoint is great, and some of the character scenes (especially the campfire scenes) are great fun to watch.

I view the film as a flawed but bold attempt at making something truly profound, and while they didn't really succeed, in this case points should be given for having tried in the first place.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    One word....Money.
    You might want to read Movie memories by Shatner. He goes into debth about it.
    Good book though it does only have Shatners point of view.

This is one I did not buy on DVD with or without the rock.