1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek 4 Reportedly Shelved By Paramount

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    IMO, that first trailer for BEYOND, with the motorcycle, didn't do it any favors.

DavidJ, dpippel, Bryan^H and 5 others like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It's bad when you release a teaser, and then the film's producer, writer, director and cast members all come out publicly criticizing that teaser almost instantly. It's one thing to have the director say after the movie comes out, "In hindsight, we should have promoted it differently." It's another thing when the studio's marketing department is actively antagonizing the people making the film.

They put out a horrendous teaser, and then didn't follow it up with a real trailer until weeks before the film's release. By that point, it was too late.

We'll never know what Beyond could have done at the box office if everything had been done right. But we certainly can see that it came in below expectations and it's not hard to find lots of potential reasons for why that was, and many of those reasons have little to do with the quality of the film itself.

3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    And also the music....Sabotage indeed.

benbess and Carabimero like this.
  4. Message #164 of 178 Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    BEYOND is my favorite of the three. That one shot at the end where Spock open's Spock Prime's personal possessions and sees the old photo of the TOS crew single-handedly makes me go back and watch all the TOS movies every time I see it. Just the memory of that one moment, of seeing the TOS crew on the big screen again, gets me every time.

I love that Spock Prime is in all three movies, even if his appearance in the third movie is incredibly sad. That's what, for me, makes it so great. It's woven into young Spock's arc.

Josh Steinberg and Tino like this.
  5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I loved all three films. And I gotta admit. It breaks my heart that they weren’t more successful considering some of the films that are.

Star Trek is very dear to me. As it is to many of us. It’s ingrained in our beings. We love it. We are defensive of it. We criticize it when it doesn’t meet our expectations. All out of a deep love, respect and admiration of what Gene Roddenberry and others created.

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Nice sentiment Tino, I totally agree!

Tino likes this.
  7. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I would have to agree about the terrible first trailer not helping Beyond's box office much. Apparently they were still shooting the movie at the time and no effects shots were ready and then J.J. told them that they need a trailer to go in front of The Force Awakens so the trailer they put together used shots that needed little to none effects work.

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I finally watched Beyond this weekend.
    Thought it was pretty good. Really enjoyed these threee new movie it’s a shame we probably won’t get any more.

They did seem to treat this one as a finale though.

9. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    Beyond felt like a long lost episode of TOS. That’s why it is my favorite of the 3. The smaller, more personal story. Focused on the crew instead of “saving the galaxy”. The character development was great and it had many wonderful character moments. The Spock / Bones scene felt like they were pulled straight out of TOS. Jaylah was a great new character and Would make a great addition to the crew. I hate that we may not get to see the new version of the Enterprise, introduced at the end of the movie, on screen again. It looked like a great redesign!

I love all 3 but Beyond is right up there with II, VI and FC in my book.

10. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
    I actually had second thoughts on Discovery after seeing the initial episode and being disappointed with it, I Swore I would never watch it..However, I Found Season 1 in Wal Mart this morning and Purchased it( I Dont have CBS All access) I also just upgraded to the Blu Ray versions of the TOS and TNG Films. Back when the Series' were first released in the Early 2000s, I purchased them, even at the crazy prices .I guess I will just keep doing it because Its Trek. I am kind of at a point where I would like to see a DS9 Reboot to see how Bajor and Cardassia Changed after the War. I wonder if someone would entertain that idea.

11. Nelson Au

I happen to catch Chirs Pine on Good Morning America who was on to promote his upcoming project, I Am The Night from Patty Jenkins. It appeared to be a case of, don’t ask and don’t tell. Not a mention of Star Trek, just Princess Bride and his appearance in that and Wonder Woman; Disney owned projects. Of course he probably didn’t have any thing to add about Star Trek anyway, so it wasn’t like any surprise news.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Princess Bride?

13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Pine was in "Princess Diaries 2", so maybe that's what Nelson meant.

Not sure why "GMA" circa 2019 would ask Pine about a movie from 2004, though!

14. Nelson Au

I never saw either of those Princess films. Sorry about the mix-up. :). They mentioned that film because it was an anniversary as his first major film role 15 years earlier.

15. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    I think the number of people is the best barometer there is (for every movie, not only ST), far better than any numbers in Dollars, Euros or whatever currency.

David Weicker likes this.
  16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Regarding relevance or success?

17. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

Ah - that makes sense!

18. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    In general, both. But I know of cause that success is measuered by the income.
    For relevance the money is no barometer what so ever.