What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Gary Seven said:
I found ST:ID downright depressing. :(

Based on what I read, they are changing directors but going with the story they created, whatever that is.
That's why I watch STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN on Paramount letterbox Laserdisc. Into darkness was depressing :mellow: I find each time I watch the end credits "London's calling" that comes up and think of the demise of the Empire 1, turned into rubbish digital imax called LIEMAX is depressing. I'm trying so hard to erase the dire JJ into darkness, and put it at the bottom of the blu pile. And put LASERDISC STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) at thee top where it rightful belongs. :thumbsup:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
andySu said:
That's why I watch STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN on Paramount letterbox Laserdisc. Into darkness was depressing :mellow: I find each time I watch the end credits "London's calling" that comes up and think of the demise of the Empire 1, turned into rubbish digital imax called LIEMAX is depressing. I'm trying so hard to erase the dire JJ into darkness, and put it at the bottom of the blu pile. And put LASERDISC STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) at thee top where it rightful belongs. :thumbsup:
Any reason you stick with laserdisc over the dvd, or Blu-Ray? It must be the color timing?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
Any reason you stick with laserdisc over the dvd, or Blu-Ray? It must be the color timing?
Colour timing lol. Its a lot more besides that. Dolby mix vs bluray rubbish. The mixes are botched up for star trek bluray which is a petty as I like, STAR TREK originals.

Its nice to have all formats to chose tonight's film, and not be stuck with one format and have no choice to chose form. :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not to undervalue a director's influence, but a good script is what matters. A good script can survive and bad director, but not the other way around.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Steve Christou said:
While I don't think Frakes has a chance at directing the next one he did direct one of the three best Trek movies of the 12 so far and also one of the best sci-fi movies of the 1990's. First Contact.
Agreed on all!!!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Frakes actually wanting to direct the movie does make that campaign better than many in which it is questionable if the person the fans are demanding get the job actually wants it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course he wants to direct it. He's in lala land tho if he thinks Paramount would ever consider him and the dozens of people tweeting for him to do it. Dozens! ;)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
RobertR said:
So what TOS episode are they going to rehash this time?
Hopefully Spock's Brain for obvious reasons.

Or Wink Of An Eye (love me some Kathie Browne).

Or By Any Other Name ( Barbara Bouchet, wow!!).
BarbaraBouchet_Outfit1.jpg

Or perhaps What Are Little Girls Made Of (Sherry Jackson, a true beauty)
SherryJackson1.jpg

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Let Jonathan Frakes do it, and then have the movie shock us with a twist: Khan returns! But! Benedict Cumberbatch was playing neither John Harrison nor Khan... he was actually playing the NuTrek future version of Jean-Luc Picard, who had been implanted with Borg nanites and was being remotely controlled for some nefarious purpose that #3 will reveal.

Co-starring Monica Bellucci as Deanna Troi.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Co-starring Monica Bellucci as Deanna Troi.
Yes! That gets back to my theory--originally espoused in the Bond/SPECTRE thread--that all movies should feature Monica Bellucci in some way.

This is such an important theory that maybe it deserves it's own thread...

:biggrin:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Steve Christou said:
While I don't think Frakes has a chance at directing the next one he did direct one of the three best Trek movies of the 12 so far and also one of the best sci-fi movies of the 1990's. First Contact.
He also directed one of the worst.

I know I'm one of the few on this forum that loved both 2009 Trek and STID but, IMO, Frakes is not the right director for the style JJ has set forth. I just don't think he'd be able to pull it off. Trek fans are going gaga over the idea for the exact reason Paramount will not hire Frakes, fans think he would come in and revive pre-JJ Trek on the big screen. Paramount doesn't want that, they want JJ money making Trek, not small box office potatoes next gen Trek. Even adjusted for inflation, neither of the Frakes Trek movies came close to touching ST or STID at the box office.

I'm somewhere in the middle, I love old Trek and I also love this new Trek so I'm there opening day no matter what.

The combined worldwide (unadjusted) gross for Frakes Trek is $258 million; for JJ Trek it is $852 million. Domestic gross (adjusted for inflation) for Frakes Trek is $287 million; JJ Trek is $502 million. This is why Paramount will not hire Frakes, and honestly I'm not sure they should.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like 1977 all over again. Except this time it's not for the better. "That Star Wars movie looks good. Don't we have that old TV show Star Track they are trying to make for a fourth network? Let's make that into a movie"...

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Chuck Anstey said:
Of course it did well. It was a remake of one of the most popular TOS movies and most people who saw ST:ID were new fans and hadn't seen ST:TWOK or if they did, it was just some old movie with actors they have never heard of and doesn't have the same meaning to them as it was to those who saw it when it came out. That's like being surprised an updated remake of an old very popular movie starring the latest popular actors and actresses did well among a new generation even if the remake is weaker than the original. If they remade ST:IV, it would also do well. The Doomsday Machine would probably break a few BO records for a Star Trek movie.

I couldn't help but notice that you posted "Been there, done that" in the Star Wars VII thread on rumors of revisiting Hoth. Seems inconsistent with your staunch defense of ST:ID.
My 17 year old daughters review of ST:WOK - "Stupid."
My 17 year old daughters review of ST: ID - "Awesome."

'Nuff said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks