1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek 3..The Five Year Mission Begins

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Coens? I'm holding out hope for Tarantino.

Seriously, Singer would be great. Maybe for Trek 4.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    From what little bits I've read online, and since nothing really seems confirmed yet, it's probably all rumor, but apparently Paramount and Orci were clashing over the script.

Supposedly Orci wanted to tell a story where the Vulcans are in a race to discover time travel or find a time travel device, which they want to use to undo everything that happened in the first movie with the destruction of Vulcan. Now, on one hand, I love time travel stories, but on the other hand, I think that would be a bad idea for the next movie. For starters, the most recent two Trek films featured timey-wimey stuff in some way or another (the time traveling in the '09 movie, and then Khan having been woken up from a two century nap from Into Darkness), and it would be cool to have a new Star Trek film focused on their present day. And then there's the idea that I was really hoping the next movie wouldn't be about going to familiar places like Earth and Vulcan, but instead was about deep space and the great unknown. And most importantly - I don't want them to undo the events of the first reboot movie. Destroying Vulcan was a bold move for the filmmakers, and it not only changes the characters' destinies, but also affects who they are as people, and from Into Darkness, we know it also affected the whole Federation in a major way. So I kinda hate the idea of them saying, "Hey, all of that stuff we just sold you on? Yeah, it didn't actually happen."

But all of this is rumor as far as I know, I don't think anything's been confirmed. But if it was Paramount saying, "Hey, enough with time travel and reboots and rebooting the reboot", then I totally agree with that line of thinking. But it could be something entirely different.

To me, having the right script is much more important for this movie than having a name brand director. J.J. Abrams established the style of these new Trek films, and I'm guessing that no matter who directs it, it'll be filmed and edited in a style that matches the other two movies. Whether it's a television director making his big screen debut or someone who's name we know, I think a lot of the style of the film has already been established. And once they start filming on a big production like this, it's hard to change anything once the wheels are moving. Gotta get the script right first. And they're running out of time to do that if they want to make the 50th anniversary.

If there's one thing I have to criticize about these new Trek films more than anything else, it's how Paramount doesn't really seem committed to the idea. A four year wait between the first film and the second? I know I might not have been the target audience, but when they first announced they were rebooting Star Trek, I was very skeptical. To me, Kirk was Shatner and Shatner was Kirk, etc., and I just couldn't imagine wanting to see anyone else playing the parts. They made a great first film and really, totally, completely sold me on what they were doing. And to a certain extent I feel a little jerked around by the decision making - neither the studio nor JJ really seemed to have any sense of urgency in making the second film and now the third, and I think that's why the box office on the second one wasn't what they hoped. Had it come out in 2011, I think it would have done a lot more business because it was still fresh and familiar, and I think it got somewhat lost in 2013 in between another X-Men movie (The Wolverine), and two Marvel movies, and Man Of Steel, and everything else. They got me emotionally invested in new Star Trek, but now aren't making them fast enough.

Osato and Brandon Conway like this.
  3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I'd like to see Robert Zemeckis, Terry Gilliam, Peter Weir, or Ron Howard direct this next one. But as already mentioned, older talented directors are treated like aged dogs in Hollywood waiting to be put to sleep. Just keep Zack Snyder away from this. I'd hate to see red, blue and yellow uniforms become gray, grayer, and black.

Tim Glover and Osato like this.
  4. SilverWook

SilverWook Cinematographer

Bill
    Sadly, no. Trek seems to have no guiding hand anymore, and if Paramount doesn't get their **** together, I think the 50th anniversary will be little more than a cheesy, overpriced merchandising bonanza. :(

Osato, Josh Steinberg and Tino like this.
  5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I hope not. You're right about no guiding hand. That's EXACTLY what Trek needs.

Osato and Josh Steinberg like this.
  6. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    I'm really not sure about Frakes. He did fine with First Contact, but, on my list, Insurrection is as bad as Baird's Nemesis. Now, maybe some of that was too much familiarity with the show and actors at that point, I don't know. Still, a fresh eye with a history with the material, but not specifically with these characters and actors - maybe it could help. I don't know about any animosity between Paramount and Frakes. Is there any? Besides, who's still at Paramount that would have been there when Frakes was in the Next Gen movies?

But, I'd rather someone who's familiar with at least the genre and these character's situations to logically extend their stories into whatever new situation is written, and still maintain some of the original series' basic tone.

We don't need Nolan's downer Batman, or Singer's downer Superman infiltrating the tone of (new) ST: 3. Nothing wrong with seriousness in the story (ST: ID had more than ST: '09), but it doesn't have to be downright depressing. Not for Star Trek.

I agree that what the current incarnation needs is some actual story direction... even if it's just a basic outline.

7. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I found ST:ID downright depressing. :(

Based on what I read, they are changing directors but going with the story they created, whatever that is.

Osato likes this.
  8. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    So the Vulcans were going after a time-travel device in order to go back and change Star Trek 2009 history and save their planet. Thus it would be possible to show William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy as older versions of Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto.

If that's true, I can see a dozen reasons why Paramount would balk at this concept. Not the least of which include...

[*]Sure, let's unboot our reboot... not!
    [*]Fully one third of all Star Trek films have been about time-travel. Can we please move on?
    [*]Vulcans do not believe time-travel is possible (at least in Star Trek Enterprise)
    [*]I'm sorry, but Chris Pine will not grow up to look like William Shatner
    [*]On the other hand, Zachary Quinto will grow up to look exactly like Leonard Nimoy... but will take much better care of his looks
    [/list]

Osato and dpippel like this.
  9. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Regarding Orci, I have not seen anything that says one way or another but it seems this story about Orci not directing is possibly misdirected. Was he ever really given the job to direct? I know he wanted the job and I'm guessing everyone assumed he was going to direct. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it even his to loose?And this story about the Vulcans wanting to time travel back to undo the destruction of their planet, I like it! :). While I think it was a truly powerful event and Nero's act definitely reset the path of this alternative universe. But I always had a problem with alternative realities. I think TOS is the real Prime Universe. So I can buy Orci's argument that it still exists. In science fiction anything is possible. But I still didn't like how these alternative Kirk and Spock characters act or how they became. For Kirk I can accept now that it's Pike who shaped him rather then Captain Garrovick. But I can't imagine Kirk being that much a rebel as a youth, even if his Uncle was a jerk. But Spock and Uhura is wrong. :) I know the Mirror Universe exists during TOS so they established a parallel universe. A precedent exists. So I guess I just rather the Jar Jar-Verse isn't the world these films are about and I would have preferred the Prime Universe. And a blown up Vulcan could still happen. But it's not up to me and I just wanted to vent. :)

Osato likes this.
  10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    He was definitely given the job

11. SilverWook

Bill
    Uhura did flirt with Spock in The Man Trap, so it's not like they pulled that idea out of thin air. ;)

12. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Silverwook,

"He knows, Doctor. He knows."

But just in case our new Fleet Admiral forgot --

Lt. Uhura: "No, you have an answer. I'm an illogical woman who's beginning to feel ... too much a part of that communications console. Why don't you tell me I'm an attractive young lady ... or ask me if I've ever been in love? Tell me how planet Vulcan looks when the moon is full."
    Spock: "Vulcan has no moon, Miss Uhura."

Lt. Uhura: "I'm not surprised, Mr. Spock."

:)

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I'd like to see what Singer brings to Star Trek (he supposedly has a pilot he's pitched for a new TV show) but I doubt it will happen since he's so tied to Fox and the X-Men films now (which is a good thing for the X-Men films). His Battlestar Galactica film never got off the ground either, did it? I also doubt he'd agree to do the third Trek film without having a hand in the script, and frankly, somehow tying it to his TV show concept. But all the bullshit aside, Singer could probably make a great Star Trek movie.

They need someone who understands the series and is a fan. As capable a director as he is, I'm not sure JJ Abrams ever fit that bill.

Osato likes this.
  14. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Scott, Silverwook, yes as Scott pointed out, I am aware of the flirtatious scene from The Man Trap. But the Spock I know closed himself off to such things at that stage of his life. He'd never show affection or admit to it. And it's not the Vulcan way. Over the course of the series, he was opening up a little. He wouldn't even warm up to Leila until the Spores got him to. So that's my issue there. But I know it's an alternative timeline and behavior may not be the same. And it might have been tangentially addressed in Into Darkness when Spock tells Uhura that he witnessed everyone die when Vulcan blew up and he didn't want to feel that loss again. It still though feels like a wholesale change in the fundamental character. It would be interesting to compare reactions of first time female viewers of Star Trek TOS today and see if Nimoy's characterization can still have the reaction women did in the 60's.

Gary Seven likes this.
  15. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Nick Meyer proved you don't have to be a ST fan to direct a great ST movie. Stuart Baird proved that you do have to respect Star Trek, however.

Osato likes this.
  16. SilverWook

Bill
    IIRC, didn't Meyer and producer Harve Bennett sit down and watch a whole lot of TOS episodes?

There was a rumor Baird was so unfamiliar with TNG, he thought Geordi La Forge was an alien.

Osato likes this.
  17. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Since JJ jumped over to Star Wars, maybe they can bring Lucas out of retirement and have him jump to Trek. If he's not writing the script, maybe it'll turn out okay.

18. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    This is a joke right? Where's the smiley?? ;)

19. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    abfc93bb755be78bf3812038813d4c6e.

Osato and Tino like this.
  20. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    At this point I believe George should just stay away from filmmaking altogether. Enjoy retirement George. ;)

dpippel likes this.