Star Trek 3..The Five Year Mission Begins

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Sitting here waiting for my 7:15 to start. With all the "it feels more like tos" reviews, I'm more pumped for this then the last 2, and I really enjoyed both of them.

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'll be seeing it two hours - non 3D. Exciting!

As for the Yelchin situation, wish JJ Abrams had let his decision marinate a little while longer before going public. With some perspective he may have come to the realization that the best way to honour Yelchin would not be to write the character out but to allow someone new to stand on the shoulders of the body of work Koenig and Yelchin built for the character.

If I were an actor, I would much prefer to see my character live on in the hands of someone else than being mothballed.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I look forward to a) seeing the movie again and b) getting to talk about it with you guys.

I suspect that like me, most of you will think that while its not perfect, it's damn good with a great emphasis on the ensemble cast. The dialogue by Pegg and Jung is great - the Enterprise crew sounds more like the characters than they had in the previous reboots. I think I said this earlier but as I've been thinking about the movie all day, I'm really happy that all of the cast had their moments, and it wasn't so centered on Kirk-Spock-Uhura as the last two movies were. I loved how the movie gave the sense of the Enterprise as a lived-in place, and that the crew (even minor extras) seemed like a family unit. Justin Lin did a lot of things right on this movie but the thing that impressed me most is how he juggled all of the different personalities and it never got confusing and no one seemed shortchanged. (By comparison, Into Darkness was a much more Kirk oriented movie.)

I know there was some mild concern when Shohreh Aghdashloo was added to the cast for late reshoots that maybe the movie was in trouble. I don't know if her scene is brand new or if maybe they had another actor doing the same scene but I can see why they wanted it - it just helps clarify where the crew is emotionally as the movie begins.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Justin Lin did a lot of things right on this movie but the thing that impressed me most is how he juggled all of the different personalities and it never got confusing and no one seemed shortchanged. (By comparison, Into Darkness was a much more Kirk oriented movie.)
I watched the first two movies yesterday and today and I was surprised by how relatively little screen time they gave to Bones, Sulu, Chekov and even Scotty. They gave them all a moment to shine and there's only so much you can do with 2 hours but the movies are not an ensemble.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I watched the first two movies yesterday and today and I was surprised by how relatively little screen time they gave to Bones, Sulu, Chekov and even Scotty. They gave them all a moment to shine and there's only so much you can do with 2 hours but the movies are not an ensemble.
Watching the first two movies during the marathon yesterday, I had the same thought...but they really made up for it in the new movie, especially with Scotty, Bones and Chekov. But it never felt like "I'm the screenwriter so I'm giving myself a bigger part" - it was very organic to the story.

Reactions: TravisR

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Wow! What a fun movie. Easily the best of the reboots, best since First Contact IMO. I think this film had the right mix of modern action and old school Trek character moments (more then the previous 2 combined). It just felt more like a Trek movie.

It's not perfect but still very good. I did find some of the action hard to follow with how fast paced and close up some of it seemed, but that's typical with most action movies these days. I wish modern directors would learn to pull the camera back a little and linger on a shot just a little longer.

I also enjoyed Giacchino's score, may be the best of his Trek scores. Really enjoy the new themes for the Yorktown and Franklin. A few nice old school Trek musical hints as well.

I'll have some more thoughts as the discussion unfolds. Safe to say that I had a good time and really enjoyed this adventure.

Edit: The way they handled Nimoy's passing was perfect IMO. There are actually a few touching moments.

Last edited:

todd s

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Saw it...enjoyed it.

Couple of things...

-I knew they would get a new Enterprise at the end. But, I was hoping the nacelles would more resemble the modified nacelles from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

-So sad with Anton Yelchin. Did like the nice tribute to Leonard Nimoy.

-So many nods to lines and events from the tv show and movies.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Lou Sytsma

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Loved it. Best of the three IMO. First one that really captured the feel of the original series. Karl Urban was awesome and Chris Pine really came into his own as Kirk in this one. Wonderful Nimoy tributes.

Agree some of the action scenes were too tight. This one had the least amount of story logic hand waves.

A little less action and some more character beats would have really been welcome but overall a very fun and very Trek outing,

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Some implausible action, but what's new? Yet it sticks out more when the movie gets better, which this one did.

The last Nimoy tribute, with Quinto alone, brought a tear to my eye.

I'm sure Shohreh Aghdashloo is a fine woman in real life, but I can't stand her in THE EXPANSE or in this movie. Her voice makes my skin crawl. Mark my words...she will turn out to be the Admiral Cartwright of the Kelvin timeline.

I wish Quinto would stop making Spock more emotional with every movie. Makes me appreciate Nimoy's Spock even more.

Last edited:

todd s

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Another tiny nitpick...

They showed a few aliens on the Enterprise and on the star base. Yet, I did not see any Tellarites, Andorians or Caitians. Missed opportunity.

Reactions: Doug Wallen

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm sure Shohreh Aghdashloo is a fine woman in real life, but I can't stand her in THE EXPANSE or in this movie. Her voice makes my skin crawl. Mark my words...she will turn out to be the Admiral Cartwright of the Kelvin timeline.
Definitely don't watch Season 4 of "24" then :)

I wish Quinto would stop making Spock more emotional with every movie. Makes me appreciate Nimoy's Spock even more.
I was talking about this with my fiance leaving the theater the other night... I don't mind it, given the context we've seen this Spock in. In the prime timeline, he goes his entire life without any sort of real emotional guidance from his father. He doesn't really seem to make peace with his dual nature until the movie series, if at all. Whereas in the Kelvin timeline, two major things for his emotional development happen in the '09 movie. The first is that his father tells him that he married his mother because he loved her (admitting that it wasn't just logic) - that's something he never got in the prime universe. If his father could admit making an emotional decision, so much earlier in Spock's life than anticipated, I think that leaps the character over 30 years of slow emotional development. And then later, Spock Prime tells him to do what feels right - his older, successful self gives him permission to feel. That's my internal justification for it at any rate :)

Reactions: Doug Wallen

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anybody know if seeing this in 3-D or even IMAX worth it?
I saw it in IMAX 3D and very much enjoyed the presentation. Unlike "Star Trek Into Darkness", "Star Trek Beyond" was not shot with IMAX cameras, so the aspect ratio is a constant 2.40:1 throughout. However, I still think IMAX offers a quality presentation that's superior to conventional theaters. As far as the 3D quality, I think it was a cut above most summer blockbuster postconversions. It wasn't The Walk, but it had greater 3D with more depth and separation than stuff like the Marvel movies usually do.

Reactions: Tino

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Good movie! Not sure if I loved it, but I did like it a lot, and it is my favorite of the Kelvin Timeline so far. And in contrast to Into Darkness, the nods and references to the older films and series were more subtle and, for lack of a better word, honest.

It's not perfect, but it does kind of right the ship, so-to-speak, and get Star Trek turned back toward a more promising direction.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The classical music was an inspired choice.
I loved that line and Kirk's "good choice" smirk. This movie just felt right and the story was good as well. Not the best Trek story but, if this was TOS it would have been a good episode, maybe really good. I just loved all the character moments so much that I wasn't even worried about how good or bad the villain was.

Lord knows there were plenty of starship captain gone mad episodes in TOS, TNG, VOY and ENT.

I loved the Spock/Bones banter, especially the horseshit line. Bones fear of transports was great! Scotty finally getting to engineer stuff. Spock/Kirk forcing Bones to do something he hates!

I'll admit, I had my reservations when they announced Lin as the director but, he pulled it off with flying colors. He handled the ensemble cast perfectly IMO. I'd would not mind if he came back for the next one. Even let Pegg co-write again. They have proven that they get "it" IMO.

My one Trekkie nitpick is the line about the Franklin being the first warp 4 ship. That doesn't fit with what happened during ENT.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I saw it in IMAX 3D and very much enjoyed the presentation. Unlike "Star Trek Into Darkness", "Star Trek Beyond" was not shot with IMAX cameras, so the aspect ratio is a constant 2.40:1 throughout. However, I still think IMAX offers a quality presentation that's superior to conventional theaters. As far as the 3D quality, I think it was a cut above most summer blockbuster postconversions. It wasn't The Walk, but it had greater 3D with more depth and separation than stuff like the Marvel movies usually do.
Yeah, I ended up catching a 2-D matinee on a spur of moment and really enjoyed it. However, I sat too near the screen for this film. I'll probably end up seeing it again and I'll do so sitting up higher with a 3-D Presentation. Today, I basically used my free ticket voucher from Star Trek II Blu-ray.

I really liked this film and probably moreso than the first two films.

Doug Wallen

Lead Actor
Supporter
Real Name
Doug
I was super pumped to see this based on the early word of mouth. My son and I walked into the theater seconds before the trailers began. I was eager to get to the main event. From the opening moments, I felt like I was watching real "Trek". The whole feel of the movie just seemed right. All the character moments just worked for me. Fun to find the references which brought a smile to my face.

I'll echo the sentiments of most everyone else, this is the best of the three reboot movies. Wonderful moviegoing experience. Can't wait to see this one again and to own it.

Justin Lin has proved his detractors wrong. Good direction and excellent character developement. Script was pretty good too.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granite11