Star Trek 3..The Five Year Mission Begins

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Chekov will be transferred to the Reliant in the next film. That is just a guess on my part. Maybe Kyle or Stiles will take the navigation station next time. Of course there's Eddie Paskey's Mr. Leslie.
You're a gentleman and a scholar. Your posts are always appreciated on my screen.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Chekov will be transferred to the Reliant in the next film. That is just a guess on my part. Maybe Kyle or Stiles will take the navigation station next time. Of course there's Eddie Paskey's Mr. Leslie.
I like that idea. The audience knows the sad reason why the character isn't around but at least he lives on offscreen.

Reactions: Carabimero

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It would be cool if they could perhaps use outtakes of his voice over the com or something from the other ship. Just dreaming, but would be neat.

I have to say, I watched INTO DARKNESS last night and cringed when Kirk told Chekov he was assigned to engineering and to "put on a red shirt." A joke that was previously funny will forever make me sad.

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What happens in the last movie at the end? I have no recollection. Kirk dies?

dpippel

HTF Premium Member
Premium
Real Name
Doug
It's a reversal of Wrath of Khan's ending...

Instead of Spock, Kirk saves the Enterprise by getting the warp drive back on line and suffers a lethal dose of radiation as a result. He dies but is "brought back to life" by an infusion of Khan's blood.

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
SPOILER BELOW

Kirk dies but they use Khan's blood to bring him back to life, a solution so problematic as a legitimate storyteller I don't even know where to begin...

Last edited:

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
SPOILER BELOW

Kirk dies but they use Khan's blood to bring him back to life, a solution so problematic as a legitimate storyteller I don't even know where to begin...
Oh, it's right down there with the transwarp beaming stuff in terms of deus ex machina-ing things to hell for the Trekverse, tons worse than the 5min trip to Vulcan and Kronos, which themselves are annoying enough. Shoot, I"m still trying to figure out the water reclamation system in 09 - they have blades to chop up the nasty water?!!!!???

If they were really going to exploit Khan's magic blood, you'd probably be remaking INSURRECTION's ethical dilemma -- you have 60 or 70 superfolk nobody likes -- sort of like the 300 or so yuppies in the Brier Patch -- who can keep everybody alive with their blood instead of extending lifespans to double as INS suggests. Yeah, that's worse than if they had let Genesis stand as functional and approved.

Reactions: Carabimero

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When I first saw INTO DARKNESS, at the point Pike takes the Enterprise from Kirk, I was saying, "Wow, this could be one of the best Trek movies ever made..."

And then the rest of the movie happened.

Jonathan Perregaux

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I love the bit where a scene stops dead in order for Kirk to ask Bones what he's doing with a dead Tribble, which revives later. I slapped my forehead so hard I got brain damage.

Chekov's post should be taken over by Lt. Arex from the animated series. Three arms, three legs.

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
People cheered that moment when I saw it in the theater. I'm not the Trek fan that most of the people in this thread are but I loved it.
I agree--I cheered in the theater too. For me it was a moment that, like most of the movie, played well in *that communal moment back then* but that doesn't hold up well at all as the years go by, as I watch the movie again in the cold light of day.

But I am delighted for people who loved INTO DARKNESS. There is more to like about it than dislike, except the things that I dislike are too much for me to recover from.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just got home from the IMAX screening of the three movies, including Beyond. (They screwed up the projection for Into Darkness, but I'll leave that for another post.)

Very quick, very general, non spoiler thoughts before I fall asleep:
-Nice job with the 3D - thought it was a cut above most of the modern post-conversions
-Nothing after the credits (the Rihanna song does not appear in the movie proper but does play midway through the end credits)
-Reviews saying it felt like an original series episode are pretty right on (and I think feeling like an episode is a good thing)
-Each crew member gets a chance to shine. Justin Lin (and the writers) do a great job of making it feel like a true ensemble piece. This was one of the greatest things Lin did on his Fast & Furious movies and he handles the large cast here very well
-It goes by very fast - it's only about ten minutes shorter than the last one but the pacing is a lot more energetic

Bottom line: really fun movie that felt like Trek to me. If you liked both reboots, you'll like this. If you liked the first reboot but had reservations about the second one, you'll like this one more. If you hated first two reboots (as one person in the audience at my theater proclaimed loudly between films), I have no idea how you'll feel about this one.

I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thanks for the thoughts! I've decided to go see it in BigD 3D with Dolby Atmos tonight. Should be a lot of fun!

Unfortunately, my Dad found out about the Sulu change and refuses to see the movie now. I had decided to just let it unfold on screen but, he found out somehow and now I will be going by myself. Oh well, his loss because from the reviews this sounds like the best of the nuTrek films.

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for your report Josh. I'm still not fully bullish about the Kelvin timeline Trek. But very positive news from yourself about the new film, as I know you know TOS. I'll try to see it soon.

I listened to a very nice report in NPR his morning about the premiere of Beyond at Comic Con night. The cast and JJ took the stage before hand too with short minute of silenc for Anton Yelchin. It was an outdoor IMAX showing while the sun had set with a live orchestra playing the score with the movie.

todd s

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
They could replace Checkov with Lt. Arex (from the animated series), Lt.Kevin Riley or Lt.Kyle

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for the thoughts! I've decided to go see it in BigD 3D with Dolby Atmos tonight. Should be a lot of fun!

Unfortunately, my Dad found out about the Sulu change and refuses to see the movie now. I had decided to just let it unfold on screen but, he found out somehow and now I will be going by myself. Oh well, his loss because from the reviews this sounds like the best of the nuTrek films.
It is very much his loss. It is literally 15 seconds of the film, and if you didn't know that the character was gay, you could easily miss it, or think that Sulu was simply greeting a brother or friend.

Specific to Sulu, and this is within the first ten mins of the movie, but just in case you want to go in totally blank:
The Enterprise arrives at a Starbase for a layover. When the ship docks, various crew members disembark from the Enterprise and enter the base, and some are greeted by what are obviously meant to be family members. A man with a young daughter approaches Sulu. They all hug. That's it.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They could replace Checkov with Lt. Arex (from the animated series), Lt.Kevin Riley or Lt.Kyle
I don't know what they named the character, but when Chekov had to go to engineer for Into Darkness, a bald lady filled his spot on the bridge. They could develop that character, or leave it rotating among extras. For the huge number of people already in the ensemble, I'm not sure if it's strictly necessary to invent a new character rather than spending more time with the other characters.