What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh, that's interesting, thanks. I try not to get too much info about upcoming productions to avoid spoilers. I didn't fully know that story about resetting the timeline in the earlier script for ST3. I heard some rumblings that eluded to that, but didn't connect it to the, "too Star Trek-y" comment.

I'm betting Pegg would object to resetting to the Prime Universe because then he would have to back peddle his comments that this is a new timeline and they can do whatever they want. They can still do whatever they want in the Prime Universe though I think. :)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
If they reset to the prime universe, is a Sulu straight again?

Anyway, was any of Beyond shot with IMAX cameras? Also, anyone heard much about the 3D? Worth it?

My favorite theater has it in BigD with Dolby Atmos but, the 2 Thursday showings are 3D as well. Trying to decide if the 3D up charge is worth it to get Atmos or go to the IMAX theater which is actually cheaper here.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
If they do go to the past via time travel or the Guardian of Forever, they could change the course of history. Have Kirk and the Kelvin avoid being in that sector of space and avoid Nero. But I'm just saying. :)
If they're going to do more time travel, for the purpose of changing history, saving a single ship would be chicken scratch. The real prize would be stopping the destruction of Vulcan.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If they reset to the prime universe, is a Sulu straight again?

Anyway, was any of Beyond shot with IMAX cameras? Also, anyone heard much about the 3D? Worth it?

My favorite theater has it in BigD with Dolby Atmos but, the 2 Thursday showings are 3D as well. Trying to decide if the 3D up charge is worth it to get Atmos or go to the IMAX theater which is actually cheaper here.

I haven't heard anything about the 3D. I'm seeing it Wednesday night in the trilogy screening so I can try to report back on that afterwards. I saw the second trailer in 3D and that looked good.

Beyond was not shot with IMAX cameras - 2.35:1 from start to finish.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
v1.bTsxMjE1MjY4ODtqOzE3MDQ4OzIwNDg7NDgzOzc1NQ

Star Trek Beyond
92% 99%
Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto
PG-13, 2 hr.
Critics Consensus: Star Trek Beyond continues the franchise's post-reboot hot streak with an epic sci-fi adventure that honors the series' sci-fi roots without skimping on the blockbuster action.
Tickets & Showtimes
Play Trailer

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I haven't heard anything about the 3D. I'm seeing it Wednesday night in the trilogy screening so I can try to report back on that afterwards. I saw the second trailer in 3D and that looked good.

Beyond was not shot with IMAX cameras - 2.35:1 from start to finish.

Lin was very interested in the 3D angle, though he had turned down conversions for his earlier films. He didn't sound so enthused about the Barco process, but the promo I saw for Barco actually seemed kinda cool ...

They did shoot BEYOND in anamorphic (except for ST6, they've all been that way), but not on film this time, this was an Alexa shoot.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We've got our reserved seats for Friday. In a Dolby ATMOS theater, RPX, with a HUGE screen. Not in 3D. Some friends are joining us, so it will be a fun time!

The critic's Tomatometer is currently at 93% for Beyond. Very promising!

Mark

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My wife said, "Let's watch the first two movies before we see the third one." I replied, "It's only necessary to see the first movie. They made the third one as if the second one never happened."

So we watched the first one. She's excited to see BEYOND after I told her it got back to Trek's roots a bit.

IMHO opinion some of the best moments of these new movies deal with or allude to Kirk's father. So that gives me high hopes for 4.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
My wife said, "Let's watch the first two movies before we see the third one." I replied, "It's only necessary to see the first movie. They made the third one as if the second one never happened."

Not true at all. Lin made a point of discussing how this all leads forward from ID, which showed Kirk make what was meant to be the ultimate sacrifice to save his ship and crew. You may not like ID -- I find parts a serious grind, but still a helluva lot more watchable than the 09 travesty -- but don't be in a rush to decanonize something when it isn't your right to do so.

EDIT ADDON: Here's the relevant part of LIn's quote: "When I was a kid, I saw the first pilot [The Cage starring Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike.] While I didn’t understand why Kirk wasn’t there, this conversation the captain and doctor have about where he is in his life stuck in my mind. For this film, revisiting that exchange seemed pertinent. Kirk literally died for his crew in the last movie, so I figured we should take some time early on to catch up with him and see how he has progressed from then till now. You’ve got the job to put two hours of a character’s life up on screen, but there’s more to depicting that than getting from point A to point B with some flashy visual action; you need the emotional relationships to give context to those actions."

Last edited:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
That's the rumor I heard about the rejected Orci script for 3, which the guys who were announced today for 4 had co-written with him.

I never heard about Orci's script. Can you elaborate or do you have a link to the story? Thx.

I really didn't like the idea that Vulcan was destroyed.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
JJ Abrams has recently said that they won't be recasting Chekov in Star Trek 4.

I can certainly understand wanting to be respectful to the loss of Anton and not rushing to just replace him in the next film. I just think that they shouldn't irrevocably write out the character. These characters were already played iconically by other actors, so it's not like the role originated with him.

Just my opinion, but I hope they use a simple explanation for his absence in the next film (promotion to a new ship or something) and then bring the character back if they do a Trek 5.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not true at all. Lin made a point of discussing how this all leads forward from ID, which showed Kirk make what was meant to be the ultimate sacrifice to save his ship and crew. You may not like ID -- I find parts a serious grind, but still a helluva lot more watchable than the 09 travesty -- but don't be in a rush to decanonize something when it isn't your right to do so.

EDIT ADDON: Here's the relevant part of LIn's quote: "When I was a kid, I saw the first pilot [The Cage starring Jeffrey Hunter as Captain Pike.] While I didn’t understand why Kirk wasn’t there, this conversation the captain and doctor have about where he is in his life stuck in my mind. For this film, revisiting that exchange seemed pertinent. Kirk literally died for his crew in the last movie, so I figured we should take some time early on to catch up with him and see how he has progressed from then till now. You’ve got the job to put two hours of a character’s life up on screen, but there’s more to depicting that than getting from point A to point B with some flashy visual action; you need the emotional relationships to give context to those actions."
It may have played into the director's thinking when he made the movie, but based on the fine cut I saw, INTO DARKNESS had no direct bearing on what was on the screen. They may have changed something in the final cut, it's certainly possible, but in a fundamental way they had to ignore INTO DARKNESS. If they didn't, dying never matters anymore because Khan's blood could virtually always be used to bring someone back.

Oops.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Chekov will be transferred to the Reliant in the next film. That is just a guess on my part. Maybe Kyle or Stiles will take the navigation station next time. Of course there's Eddie Paskey's Mr. Leslie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks