STAR STRUCK (1982) and Amazon

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Martin, May 25, 2005.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

A couple months ago, the infamous JEF films released a DVD of the great, Gillian Armstrong Australian musical STAR STRUCK. Only Amazon and Barnes and Noble seemed to carry it.

Even though it was full frame, it is one of my favorite movies so I bought it.

The transfer was beyond terrible. It appeared to be a mid 80's TV transfer. The VHS looked better.

The extras on the DVD were a bunch of trailers for shot on video, straight to DVD horror and bizarre films. It was a PG film and these were R rated, gory videos. And, no real films, just junk.

The review page of Amazon was filled with negative reviews. Most questioning if it was a legitimate release.

I checked the page today and it isn't even there! Amazon must have found out it was a bootleg and removed it.

Since a terrific R4 DVD of the film was released last year, with all sorts of extras, here is hoping someone got the US rights for that. It is a great film.

Glad to see Amazon shutting down the bootleggers.

2. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

EXCELLENT NEWS!!

I'd assume they are using the extras from the R4 release (an hour long documentary, a few deleted scenes and TV appearance of one of the musical numbers), although that was only a single disc.

4. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc

I wouldn't pat Amazon on the back so quickly. They are fully aware of the illegal nature of the Jef Films titles they carry and have done nothing about them.

This particular situation of them removing the listing for STARSTRUCK was most likely due to Blue Underground taking some sort of action due to their upcoming licensed release of the film. It would be nice if the rights owners of the hundreds of other films JEF Films is peddling illegally on Amazon came out of the woodwork and did the same thing.