Star Quad Speaker Cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin McCurdy, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at heavier gauge speaker cable to use in my system and ran across a couple variations of Star Quad Speaker cable. One is Canare 4S11 and the other one is listed on the Clark Wire and Cable site with a part number of SPKR1304. Is there any known benefits or problems with using this type of cable? Thanks in advance.

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

One paricular benefit is that the individual wires are twisted around each other inside the main jacket. This allows for better interferrence rejection. Other advantages are the ease of bi-wiring (If wanted just connect both pos. together and both neg together on the amp end) and keeping seperate wires together make for a cleaner look.

Bill

3. Kevin McCurdy

Bill,

Thanks, You brought a good point about bi-wiring. That's one of the things I was trying to decide on if I got this wire. I've seen the Canare and I've got samples coming from Clark Wire and Cable Co.

One of the things I was wondering about was the insulation of the wires. The Canare uses an outer jacket of PVC with Polyethylene insulation around the actual conductors. The Clark speaker snake uses PVC for both. Do you think that would make any difference? I believe most zip cable configurations are PVC, so I didn't think this would cause any problems?

4. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Kevin,

PE for insulation has a lower dielectric constant than that of PVC. This means that with the PE there will be less capacitance which means less energy is absorbed into the wires and more to your loadspeakers. Will you hear the difference? Thats a long heated debate (cable vs. cable)I would suggest the Canare or a Belden alternitive.

Bill

5. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I too am considering using the Star Quad wire for speaker cable. Does anyone have recommendations for what spades to use with these? I would prefer to crimp than solder if possible.

6. Kevin McCurdy

Thanks, Bill.

Gregg,

I'm still trying decide which wire to go with. The Clark Wire and Cable Co. has spades listed to use for their wire. I thought about Audioquest spades for the Canare wire. I think the percyaudio.com website has some nice spade connectors also. You'll have to download the catalog to look. I remember seeing the KimberKable spades there and maybe some others as well. I'd be curious to know which spade you choose.

Do you plan on using the wire in a bi-wire configuration?

7. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Cardas and Vampire spades get high recomendations amongst the cable guys over at cable asylum. Amazingly enough the Radio shack gold plated spades are recomended as well.I compared them against the Vampire spades and could not tell them apart.

8. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

I use the star-quad cable with the RS spades. They seem to work very well together and I have had no problems. I currently have two cables in the bedroom, two biwired cables in the Den and one center channel in the LR.

9. Kevin McCurdy

Jim,

Are you using the Canare star quad or another brand?

In a previous post I mentioned Clark Wire and Cable Co. had spades listed to go with their wire, it's actually plugs not spades. I received the samples today with a catalog, I quickly scanned through it and didn't see any spades listed in the connector section.

10. Gregg Hart

Kevin,

I will be using this wire in a bi-wire setup for my mains and regualr hookup for center and rears since they don't have biwire capability.

I think I will go check out the RS spades tomorrow.

I remember AudioQuest recommending using silver spades since they are softer material and hence can clamp down on them better giving a tighter connection. Is this true? Should I be avoiding goldplated spades for this reason?

Gregg

11. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,
    I am using Canare Star Quad 4S8. They make three sizes 4S6 has 4 20 gauge wires, 4S8 has 4 16 gauge wires and 4S11 has 4 14 gauge wires. If you use a single run for each channel and use two of the wires for hot and 2 for ground then you get effective gauges of 17, 13 and 11 gauge respectively. Markertek sells all three sizes by the foot.

12. Kevin McCurdy

Thanks for the replies.

Gregg,

I don't have an answer regarding the Audioquest silver spades. Hopefully someone else will answer it. I plan on using gold plated connectors unless someone can provide a good reason not to.

13. Gregg Hart

Looks like Vampire Wire spade model HDS5 is gonna be the one for me. $2.50/each for a nice looking piece that can be crimped or soldered.

Kevin - You might want to check that one out too. It's gold plated, but for the price it sounds great and you can order direct from Vampire.