What's new

Star Choice Digital Audio Confusion (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I recently purchased a new 2nd receiver for my Star Choice system and decided to get the 401 model with the digital audio output.
I realize that there will not be alot of programs in 5.1 but I have been looking for a week and have not seen one movie in 5.1. I have the audio menu set up for digital audio and my stereo reciever shows Dolby Digial 2.0. Does anybody know of any upcoming shows/movies that are to be broadcast with 5.1?
Also, when I switch to stereo out instead of digital on the audio menu, my stereo reciever shows a PCM signal instead of a Dolby Digital signal. The PCM signal is louder but does anybody know if it is better as is the case with DVDs with PCM and Dolby 2.0 soundtracks?
Any help would be appreciated. I tried calling Star Choice but they had no clue at all(surprise, surprise).
[Edited last by KrisM on October 31, 2001 at 01:56 PM]

Paul W

Second Unit
The only 5.1 programming I've seen is on HBO or Showtime. Check web listings. Some channels will make it a point to note 5.1 presentations.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
The only 5.1 audio programming Star Choice offers is TMN (The Movie Network). Which is only for subscribers east of the Manitoba/Ontario border. Movie Central is the channel for everyone west of the Manitoba/Ontario border. Movie Central doesn't broadcast anything in 5.1
Peter

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Just as an update... looks like SC is doing 5.1 broadcasting tonight for ABC shows. This may only be for HDTV viewers though...
Peter
[Edited last by Peter McDonald on October 31, 2001 at 08:33 PM]

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks for the info guys. The guy at Radio Shack that sold me the unit said that Band Of Brothers was in 5.1. Maybe he was referring to the HDTV broadcast.
Anybody have info on the PCM vs Dolby question?
Regards
KrisM
p.s. I'm still confused as to why eastern Canada and western Canada still have different movie channels. What is this, 1985? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks