What's new

Star Ceilings... Painted vs. Fiber optics (1 Viewer)

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
The customer used some of my glow paint to paint mountains around his room (it's supposed to look like moonlight), then I painted the might sky above it. I LOVE this room!!!
CN-theater-room2.jpg

CN-theater-room.jpg

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
The question comes up a lot when someone asks me to paint a night sky for them, they get one of our Kits, or if they are just wanting to free-hand a night sky on their own. I'll be asked, "do I really need constellations in my mural," or, if they already know that they want to have them, "do I need to have them accurate?"

Here's what I suggest, especially when I'm about to paint a mural and the customer (on a rare occasion) tells me to just paint a night sky and to skip the constellations. I tell them that the constellations are important because they have the largest stars in the mural... and they are important to the 3D effect. At that point they'll usually agree with me, so I just suggest that they let me pick some constellations to put into the mural (since we are going to put those stars in anyway). Here's why I like putting in constellations instead of just random constellation-sized stars. When you try to put something in randomly, they usually turn out to look more uniform than a perfectly laid-out pegboard. I've found that it's much easier to make things look random by painting the stars in a pattern.

Here's a video where I explain why constellations are good... but they don't need to be placed accurately.

I'm happy to help anyone who wants to paint a star ceiling, with tips that might help. Please ask here or shoot me an email.

Good luck,

Jeff

Wookie Groomer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn
I'm sure my "from scratch" fiber optic star ceiling isn't elitist enough for most but I put together a video on how I built it. Maybe those more budget minded DIY folks looking through this thread will get some ideas from it. I wanted to paint on the stars but also wanted to use the ceiling as an instant light source since my theater it completely blackened.

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I'm sure my "from scratch" fiber optic star ceiling isn't elitist enough for most but I put together a video on how I built it. Maybe those more budget minded DIY folks looking through this thread will get some ideas from it. I wanted to paint on the stars but also wanted to use the ceiling as an instant light source since my theater it completely blackened.

Nice Job!

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
This is a ceiling that is possible without a professional (me) painting it for you. This guy used out DIY Kit and went to town. You don't need our DIY Kit, there are other good options, but if you're thinking about doing a star ceiling, there's the video of the FO above, our DIY Kit, and other DIY options too. Your theaters really can double as a planetarium or place to get away to... to just chill. I'm always willing to give help to anyone wanting to paint their own star ceiling. Now, check this out from the guy using our DIY kit...
LC-Theater-for-NSS-website2.jpg

nightsky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
A question that I get asked a lot by people using our DIY Kits or just free handing their own star ceiling and are looking for a little help, is this... "My constellation stars have little peaks in them and they aren't round, am I doing something wrong?"

So, here's something that might come into your mind if you decide to paint a star ceiling yourself:
Which.jpg

Take a guess, then scroll down...
Best-star.jpg

If you ever decide to create a star ceiling and have questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me your questions. I won't be painting much longer (It used to be only my lower back that hurt... but now it's every joint!!), so it'd still be fun to answer questions to help others create beautiful star ceilings.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks