What's new

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining(s) (1 Viewer)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I'm a fan of Mr. Kubrick. I love all of his films.
But one thing keeps bothering me: The two cuts of The Shining. The American and International cut. 142 and 119 minutes respectively. I own both versions and I'm well aware of the differences. I personally prefer the international cut, but that is just me.
My simple, but possibly hard to answer questions:
Why did Mr. Kubrick release two versions of this movie?
What version did he prefer?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have both versions of The Shining, and personally I prefer the shorter cut, the long version slows everything down to a crawl, I watched the long version recently with my bored to tears girlfriend, I had to keep nudging her and make bad Jack Nicholson impressions just to keep her awake, its worth having both versions of this great horror movie ofcourse, but next time I'll put on the theatrical cut, which I assume is Kubricks prefered version.;)
I've never seen the recent TV movie, which I think is Stephen Kings preferred cut.
"Wendy! Darling! Light of my life! I'm not gonna hurt you. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in. I'm gonna bash 'em right the fuck in!"

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So, where did you guys get this International cut of "The Shining?" I want one. :)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have never really liked Kubricks version of the shining, and thought that the tv mini-series that King did was far superior to it.

I am disappointed that Kubrick refused to let King release it on Home Video. Does anybody know when those rights run out, and we might actually get to see the mini-series?

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I tried... oh God how I tried... to like the miniseries of The Shining. All it did for me was make me realize even more what a masterpiece Kubrick's film is.

By the way, what exactly are the differences between the two versions, and which version is on the DVD?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Interesting. I did not realize that there was another cut of this excellent movie. Can anyone summarize the differences?
Oh, and for my 2 cents, the TV version did follow the book and King's intent, but "whoa"...was it poorly cast and acted. That kid! Argh! Was he the casting agents kid or something? How in the #@%^$ did he get that role!?!?
Thanks for letting me vent. :D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
The link posted by RobR explains the versions.
All non-R1 versions are the international version I believe so you would probably have to find a Japanese version in order to get it in NTSC, presuming you could get a multi-region player.
The annoying thing is that ITV apparently always show the long version so that is probably the one I know.:frowning:
Not as cinema, by a long shot. You simply preferred it to the Stanley Kubrick opus.
Jack, was there supposed to be a ;) after that statement? Seems a trifle ridiculous to me. Scott quite clearly stated that what he said was his opinion - as he is entitled to.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I deeply dislike Kubrick's version. Definitely because I read the book before and it is one of my favorites. Nevertheless, I never saw King's version.
--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks