What's new

Stanley Kubrick collection which region/version? (1 Viewer)

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
I do not own any R2 DVDs and do not wish buy any for that matter but i hear that new SK:collection R1 Eyes Wide Shut is censored. And that is also something i wouldn't care to own. Have anyone bought the R1 set? Since i am a huge Kubrick fan i intend to purchase the collection but i have a hard time deciding which one to get? How is the A/V quality on the movies? Hopefully better than the first collection.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
but i hear that new SK:collection R1 Eyes Wide Shut is censored.
The Eyes Wide Shut DVD included in the newer Stanley Kubrick collection is the same exact disc available separately prior to the release of the box set.

The new set is not perfect and the aspect ratios will be a subject of debate for eons, but the only reason to have the old set is for the mono soundtracks, which are not included in the new one. Other than that, the new set beats the old one in all other departments.

Both DVDFile.com and TheDigitalBits.com reviewed these boxes in detail.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
The Eyes Wide Shut DVD included in the newer Stanley Kubrick collection is the same exact disc available separately prior to the release of the box set.
This is surely true but the question is was that edition censored? Since i only have seen the "uncensored" european R2 edition i would really like to know before buying the box.

Richard Hardbattle

Stunt Coordinator
The region 2 box - EWS is uncensored.... but the Shining is the short European version.

I bought the region 1 box (for the longer cut of the Shining - and bought the region 2 version of EWS - thus making the perfect box set..... other than the aspect ratios....or lack of anamorphic enhancement....or mono tracks....

Best not get me started.

Bring on Day Of The Fight!

Rich

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I did the same as Richard except I bought the region 4 version of Eyes Wide Shut - no snapper.

By the way, are region 2 Warner releases snapper like Region 1 or plastic cases like region 4?

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Warner releases are in snappers in R2 as well, but they are switching to keepcases for the rental market

I got the R1 Kubrick box as well, and a separate R2 EWS

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bring on Day Of The Fight!
Not to mention The Flying Padre and Fear and Desire (no matter how much that would have made Mr. Kubrick squirm.

Overall, the new boxset has a pronounced edge over the first one. But, as you can see here, there is more to be desired.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I bought the second iteration of the R1 set and love it (thank goodness i avoided Warner's first crack at the set after reading all those negative reviews of it).

Very well preserved. 'Lolita' looks absolutely stunning and the sound of 'The Shining' is spine-tingling.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Just wanted to remind those who may not know that the European cut of The Shining was cut by Kubrick himself. It really is a big improvement on the American cut (although both versions are absolute masterpieces). Longer isn't always better.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
You must either buy
-the R1 set with the R2 versions of the Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, or
-the R2 set with a R1 version of the Shining,
if you want a 'complete' Kubrick Collection.
Seems the second option is the cheapest, although I chose the first option (because the R2 release was a few months later, and I already had EWS-R2).
I also have the old MGM release of 2001, BTW, for additional extra's.
One little thing: The R1 version of EWS does contain the theatrical trailer, the R2 version doesn't (it does have the TV spots). Menu's and other extra's are the same.
One more little thing: some Dvd-covers contain some wrong information: the R4 version of EWS says its aspect ratio is 1.85:1, and Dutch covers of Lolita, A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon have the 16:9 logo on the back, implying they're enhanced for wide screen tv's.
On the other Kubrick movies:
The BBC showed Day Of The Fight and Flying Padre (without the 'the' ;) ) the weekend after Kubrick died, but 3 years later, I still haven't seen The Seafarers and Fear And Desire :frowning:.
Pietrzak Filmways announced the dvd-release of The Seafarers a while ago (the link is still on the IMDB, though the site is down), but it was delayed (I e-mailed them on this and they said it was only delayed for a few months, because they were gathering more extra features). Because that is already eight months ago and because their site is down, I don't think we'll see it anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks