Stanley Kubrick Collection question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dennis, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

I did a search on this box set (the second version) and I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I recently bought this set and noticed that the documentary was individually packaged while the other films were not. Was that the only disc that came packaged? I ask because the Eyes Wide Shut disc has part of a clear sticker that was peeled off on the back (the security stickers that are put on the top, sides and bottom of new DVD's) and the case looks like it was "handled" before, smudges, dents and scratches. The thing is, as I was going through each and every DVD examining them, they were all in great condition until I got to the very last one (EWS) before the documentary.

I really don't want to return the set, overall it's in great condition but I can't help but feel that this was repackaged, if ESW was in the same condition as the others, I wouldn't have thought twice about keeping it. This is the second time this has happened to me, the first time was buying at a B&M store while this purchase was made online.

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

None of the films in the box set should be individually packaged...mine were not.

The Eyes Wide Shut disc should have a mostly white front cover. The disc with the purple cover is the disc that was sold individually.

3. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

Yes, the original DVD had the purple cover but the one that's being sold individually now is the exact same one that's in the box set (with the mostly white cover with the blue banner on top).

4. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

My box set has each DVD packaged in its own keeper case with covers in the same format for each title in white, but the doc DVD is a dark blue cover.

5. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Is there any truth that the Kubrick Collection is going to be re-done with 2-disc special editions for each movie? I forgot where I heard this, but it was from a credible source.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I have not heard anything about 2-disc SEs, but 2001, Clockwork, and Full Metal Jacket have all been released in 2-disc Limited edition collector's sets where the second disc for each was a CD soundtrack.

Regards,

7. WillG

WillG Producer

I don't see how. From what I read around here, Kubrick was not very big on suppliments. I hear that for most of his movies there isn't much available, especially for a 2-disc set. But, then again, what do I know? there could be Film Expert commentaries etc. New docs could be produced with existing material

8. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I have heard nothing like that. But I would definitely double-dip if that were the case.

9. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Kubrick was most likely not a fan of behind the scenes materials. His daughter's Shining documentary is probably the only exception.

Deleted footage from 2001 was actually destroyed at Kubrick's request. It's very likely he did this for all his other films as well. (Except Spartacus, where he was a director for hire.)

10. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Deleted footage from 2001 was actually destroyed at Kubrick's request. It's very likely he did this for all his other films as well."

Man was that guy hardcore. Genius filmmaker, but as a fan I find some of his decisions frustrating...

11. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

...he had all the spaceship models destroyed, also, as he didnt want to see them appearing later on TV shows or in other movies...

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I am never expecting to see Special Editions of Kubrick's films on DVD or HD-DVD. The current transfer are great and that is all that matters. If he was still alive, the only extra I'd like to see/hear would be a commentary, and that ain't gunna happen, folks.

Gordy

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Larry,
    George Lucas kept his deleted scenes and couldn't resist the desire to tinker. Maybe Kubrick's approach is the safest after all. Of course, there are still two substantially different versions of The Shining out there depending on your continent. Eyes Wide Shut is, of course, a whole other can of worms.

Regards,

14. WillG

WillG Producer

15. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Kubrick was a perfectionist.

He personally oversaw the destruction of models, sets, and all deleted film materials because he saw his films as a piece of art. He believed in not ever showing the canvas and brush, but only the final paiting.

(Of course, the one flaw is the 'Making of the Shining' doc) [​IMG]

16. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

"Larry,
    George Lucas kept his deleted scenes and couldn't resist the desire to tinker."

That's a VERY good point, Ken. I find what Lucas has done to his own work to be a travesty. (Did he REALLY change the scene with Han Solo in the cantina to make the alien shoot first?)

Did Kubrick die before Eyes Wide Shut came out? Wasn't that severely edited by the studio? I wonder what he would have thought about that...

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Will,

Kubrick shortened the ending of the US and all subsequent versions of The Shining during its first week of release, so the alternate ending you have heard about is not really the difference between the European and US versions.

The original US version runs 2 hours and 23 minutes. The subsequently shortened European version runs a few minutes under two hours. There are a lot of differences, many involving shortening scenes. The most noteable omission is the entire sequence near the beginning with Anne Jackson as the doctor.

Details are available at the Internet Movie Database.

re: Eyes Wide Shut

Kubrick would have had to alter Eyes Wide Shut to obtain a contractually obligated "R" Rating in the US. He passed away before doing this himself. The decision that was made to use digitally inserted characters obscuring certain areas of the screen was based on one of the approaches Kubrick had discussed for doing this along with the desire of the producers not to alter the cutting of the scene without Kubrick's input. If he had been alive to do it himself, Kubrick almost certainly would have altered the editing in addition to using other tricks to achieve this end.

With that in mind, I can understand why it was done the way it was done, but I can't wrap my little brain around why we have to put up with this nonsense on R1 home video. [​IMG]

Regards,

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Agreed, Ken.

19. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

20. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit