What's new

Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures DVD will be available outside of the box set! (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Hello, all.

I've been looking into finding a copy of the Kubrick documentary DVD that was included in the re-mastered Kubrick Collection Box Set. I have the original set, and am looking to add the doc to my collection without re-purchasing the box. Out of curiosity, I searched on Amazon.com for the title individually, and lo an behold, up pops a page for a Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures DVD/Book set. The set has not yet been released, and no date was listed. There are very few details on Amazon.

This was news to me.

Does anyone have any more info about this? I wonder if this means the DVD will be released as a single title as well.

Comments, info?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I saw the program on BBC America and it was excellent. I will buy it if available.

Matt_P

Second Unit
I've seen the doc, as well. It is certainly one of the best film documentaries I've seen (along with Scorsese's Journey Through American Movies, and the recent PBS Kurosawa doc). A great tribute to the late master, Kubrick.

Let's hope this book/DVD set is actually released.

Please, Warner, make this available!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I have the original set, and am looking to add the doc to my collection without re-purchasing the box.
I have to suggest you just go ahead and buy the new set. I understand not wanting to go out and replace 7 or 8 titles (depending on whether or not you bought "Eyes Wide Shut") but the remastered set offers incredible improvement.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Awesome doc, I would recommend it to anyone who has the slightest bit of interest in Stanley Kubrick. I have watched it 4 times (it runs a little over 2 hours) since the box was released, so it has some replay value.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Bill G-

I'd love to pick up the new set, but being a financially careful college student, I can't afford to replace 8 titles, despite the improved quality. I'm very happy just to have any version of these great films.

Bill J-

I just noticed this myself...it's got to be a typo. What would they include on a second disc?

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Bill, I wouldn't worry... there isn't much more you could add to this doc
Actually, I seem to recall Jan Harlan saying that Warner was going to release some or all of Kubrick's short films on DVD sometime this year. Maybe they're going to package them with the doc.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I also heard that. Also, Harlan was on Charlie Rose awhile back and said there are tons of interviews and behind the scenes archives that he didn't put on the doc because it would have been too long. A second disc of other interviews would be excellent!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I had the original discs, mono and all. And then bought the new Remastered ones seperately and didnt get the Life in Pictures and I am dying to get it!!!

Amazon is saying thats its the Life in Pictures DVD AND BOOK! SWEETNESS!

Matt_P

Second Unit
I didn't realize the book has already been released. It would be fantastic if this turned out to be a 2 discer with additional interviewsk, and Kubrick's short films...not so fantastic for those who already shelled out for the new box/with doc.

It seems Warner may be trying for repeat Kubrick business once again.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It would all be nice. Everyone who is interested should see the documentary. The shorts would be excellent to have.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm not crazy about the idea of the shorts being available. kubrick didn't want them to be seen. i do have to say that "Day of the Fight" is well made for a kid in the Bronx. I watched Fear and Desire once and I can understand why K didn't want it to be part of his legacy.
What the 2nd disc holds "is a total mystery." ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Patrick: Mr. Kubrick didn't have a problem with the short films but with the first two features (especially the first). JB

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I assumed you included Fear and Desire as a short since its only like an hour long.
Fear and Desire runs 68 minutes. There's not really any universal definition of "feature length" (from what I understand most film festivals set 50 or 60 minutes as the dividing line between a feature and short) but 68 minutes almost certainly qualifies. A movie of that length would probably be considered a rip-off if it were made today but in the days of double bills it was long enough. If Jack was including Fear and Desire among the shorts then his post would be in error since AFAIK Kubrick didn't have any problems with The Killing (which would be his second feature if we don't count Fear and Desire).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks