What's new

Directors Stanley Donen, RIP (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, he did make some really great films. My favorite Stanley Donen story though comes from one of his later pictures and one that really did not seem like the kind of thing he would direct. Actually I think he did it as a favor, the film is Saturn 3.

One of the things Mr. Donen had to contend with while making it was Kirk Douglas and his search for ways to add more nudity to the film. According to Donen Douglas kept trying to find ways to take his clothes off in the picture, to the point where it became a bit of a struggle to get him to keep his clothes on. Now Douglas was in the film with the beautiful Farrah Fawcett and I mean, I can understand wanting to be nude with her but Donen said the thing was Douglas was proud of his body and wanted to show it off. He claimed in his experience with movie stars as they got older the more interest they had in doing nude scenes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
He directed some terrific films. I'd have to pick Bedazzled as my favorite film by Donen; mostly due to the subject matter. There are other films by Donen that are arguably superior, but none that I enjoy more than Bedazzled.

- Walter.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

Adam, this perfect clip both encapsulates and celebrate this brilliant man and his life's work.
Mr. Stanley Donen had it all. Class, style, wit and altogether joyful and real.
And if that's not enough, he also had a 20-year companionship with Elaine May.
Such a magnificent and enviable life.
Rest in Peace.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
A great director. And from most accounts a good man.

I wonder if they have time to get him into tomorrow’s tribute.

Reactions: PMF

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, he did make some really great films. My favorite Stanley Donen story though comes from one of his later pictures and one that really did not seem like the kind of thing he would direct. Actually I think he did it as a favor, the film is Saturn 3.

One of the things Mr. Donen had to contend with while making it was Kirk Douglas and his search for ways to add more nudity to the film. According to Donen Douglas kept trying to find ways to take his clothes off in the picture, to the point where it became a bit of a struggle to get him to keep his clothes on. Now Douglas was in the film with the beautiful Farrah Fawcett and I mean, I can understand wanting to be nude with her but Donen said the thing was Douglas was proud of his body and wanted to show it off. He claimed in his experience with movie stars as they got older the more interest they had in doing nude scenes.
"She shows a T and he shows an A and they both should have behaved themselves."--Variety review. Script by Martin Amis.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A great director. And from most accounts a good man.

I wonder if they have time to get him into tomorrow’s tribute.
I would have to bet "Yes" on this one;
after all, they can edit televised news right up to the last seconds before airing, right?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw him at the Hollywood Bowl in 2008 before a John Williams concert and he told some great stories about his films. Got a standing ovation.

RIP.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How sad, and on Oscar weekend, too. R.I.P.

Given that the ceremony is tomorrow, I wonder if the producers of the Oscars will be able to include him in the In Memoriam segment this year, or if that clip package is already locked.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Two For The Road is one of my favorite films. Made me want to tour around France which I did. RIP

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
He gave us much joy and pleasure through the years. He will continue to do so as we revisit the jewels in his crown. RIP.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Most of his films are such a pleasure to watch. Apart from the genius of the craft, they just have such GREAT rewatch value. I hope he was very proud of his amazing legacy.

Thoughts and good wishes go to his family and friends.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Thanks for the insight. I just watched SATURN 3 about three days ago.

How sad, and on Oscar weekend, too. R.I.P.

Given that the ceremony is tomorrow, I wonder if the producers of the Oscars will be able to include him in the In Memoriam segment this year, or if that clip package is already locked.

I'm pretty sure that was locked a while back. He will probably appear next year although there have been cases where big names who die in the no man's land of date ranges actually end up left out completely. Who knows? Maybe he'll be there tomorrow night.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Thanks for the insight. I just watched SATURN 3 about three days ago.

I believe as the story goes he was not the original director but ended up doing it to help out because the picture was all set up and ready to go when the original director dropped out.

I just always have this funny image in my head of Douglas, who I always thought of as a very intense guy, following Stanley around pestering him "Stanley, I think this scene would work best if I was nude in it. I could chase the robot down the hall with no clothes on!" or "Stanley, I think we should have a scene where Harvey and I have a fight in the nude. Remember Bates and Reed in Women in Love?"

It seems like Kirk would not be a guy you would want chasing you around telling you he wanted to take his clothes off. Kirk seems like the kind of guy that would be hard to stop if he wanted to do something.

Kirk.jpg

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
A great director who leaves us with a remarkable body of work to continue enjoying. Apart from his classics I also personally enjoy Movie Movie.
Thank you and RIP Mr. Donen.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I watched both the CBS and NBC Evening News broadcasts tonight and there was no mention of the passing of director Stanley Donen. What a shame! He gave such pleasure to so many people over the years with such classy and stylish films as On the Town, Singin' in the Rain, Royal Wedding, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, It's Always Fair Weather, Funny Face, Indiscreet, The Grass is Greener, Charade, Arabesque, Two for the Road, and others. He will be greatly missed, but he certainly left a varied legacy of films for us to remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks