Stands or no stands in my situation

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GregBe, Sep 23, 2005.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Here is my setup. I currently have M&K 850's. I have a 50" RPTV with the center on top, with bookshelves flanking each side of it. My L/R are on top of the bookshevles in open air about 10' apart. The tweeter is a little over 6' up. I sit about 10' back.

The matching wooden pedestal stands that go with them are normally $600. I can get a new in the box set for $190 locally because the dealer is dropping M&K, and they have too many stands. I was told there cost is $230, who knows if that is true or not.

Here is my dilemma. I know that my current setup is too high, but I get proper seperation. If I go with the stands, I obviously get benefits, but I would need to place them directly to each side of the tv. That would in essence put the L/R about 5-6'apart vs my 10' seating position.

Am I better to keep them where they are and have proper seperation, or put them on stands and have them closer together than ideal?

Thanks
    Greg

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That's a tough one. I'd personally rather keep them furhter apart though. If you have something you can experiment with, even some chairs maybe, I'd try out the 6' spread with lower placement just to get an idea of how it sounds.

Don't need to go with the matching stands do you? If they're getting rid of the brand, ask them to sell you a set of floor models. When Bay Area Audio got rid of Def Tech, they were selling stuff off at 50% off...

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks John,

I was thinking the same thing. I think the spread will be more important. I will try it out over the weekend to see how the lower placement sounds. Currently, I don't notice a huge difference in sound when I sit down (placing the tweeters high) vs when I stand up, placing the tweeters at ear level.

BTW, the pricing of the stands is normally 3x what I can get them at. I know $600 for stands is pretty rediculous. Even at the $200 price, they are much more than most other high quality stands.

If I keep them on top of the bookshelves, what would you recommend putting under them... Something real hard and solid, something absorbing or something like bluetak?

4. John Garcia

John
    Don't the stands come with something to attach the speaker? I've only seen them mounted on the actual M&K stands once, and I didn't notice if/how they were connected.

I use a very thin, small strips of foam that compresses almost completely under the weight of my speakers, so it more or less just protects the finish and offers little or no isolation.

OSH sells something similar to Blu-tack that is yellow, but basically the same thing for about $2-$3. That should work too. It doesn't stick to my speakers, but it does stick to my stands and their wrinkle finish (PE high mass), so I didn't use it in my current setup. I bought it to try out on my TV, but I used some feet instead.

5. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Yes they do attach to the speakers. Sorry if I was confusing, I actually meant if I was to go on top of the bookshelf vs. the stands. I am assuming the bookshelves won't provide the solid mass that the stands would. I was wondering if it is a good idea to put something in between the bookshelf and the speaker.

Greg

6. John Garcia

John
    With a bookshelf, yes, I'd put something between them if the shelves resonate. The more the shelf vibrates, the more inclined I would be to use something to isolate rather than couple.