Stands for Large Bookshelf Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt Lee, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Hi, this is my first post here, though I've been lurking for a few months now in my research on putting together my
    first HT setup for my new apartment in the fall. This forum has been a huge help in me figuring out what I want in terms of speakers, receiver, and has gotten me started at looking into getting a better TV than my roommate is providing.

I've decided to get some JBL S38IIs as my main speakers (I'm on a college student budget and they seemed like the best value in my price range). However, these weigh 28lbs and most cheap ($50-80) speaker stands don't seem to support much more than 20lbs, maybe 25, and have bases that are at most 6x6". I don't want to spend too much on stands if I can help it, as it would defeat the purpose of keeping the speaker price within a certain range. One of my roommates suggested we just build stands, but I would be worried about them not properly acoustically isolating the speakers. Also, stability is important because of the risk of drunk college students stumbling into them.

So my question becomes, what can I get that will hold bookshelf speakers that size (we don't have any other furniture I can put them on as far as I know, like an actual bookshelf) but won't cost more than the speakers themselves.

Thanks.

2. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

3. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

If you can make them yourself these options can be made VERY cheap!

TNT Stubby

I made a pair myself a slightly different design...

My stands

You could use MDF for the bases and just paint everything. that would keep costs even lower.

4. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Agent

Thanks for the replies, guys. This gives me a lot more to work with. I think I'm going to see what resources my roommate has for building stands and also see what I can find locally in terms of the Akropolis-style thing.

Matt

5. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Matt,
    You know, I had the exact same problem finding stands for my S38II's. My intermediate solution was to go spend $5 on some cinderblocks at my local home improvement store. Worked reasonably well, but not very pretty. Although I've heard of people wrapping them in carpet for a cleaner look. Not ideal stands, but certainly good for the money [​IMG]
    My eventual solution was a pair of MetalTech (aka WoodTech) TMT-30 stands. 30 inches brought the tweeter to almost exactly ear level for me (while sitting straight up on my couch), so that ruled out alot of the shorter models. I picked them up from www.RacksAndStands.com for $100 and free shipping, which I considered reasonable. www.Buy.com has them listed for $56 (and probably higher shipping [​IMG] ), but are usually on backorder. Luckily I managed to get AmericanExpress to pricematch them for me, so I got a great deal on mine [​IMG]

Quick review of the TMT-30: Simple metal stand made of a triangular base plate, square top plate, and 3 steel tubes of about 1 inch diameter. Two of the tubes are lead/sand fillable (highly recommended to dampen vibration), the third has holes for pulling the speaker wire through (not very easy with 12 AWG wire, but doable). Top plate is only 5.75" inches square. Not ideal for a speaker the size of the S38, but I find it's fairly stable if you place the center of gravity on the plate. If you push the speaker sideways it will bend the stand, which could then oscillate like a metronome for awhile, but you'll have that problem with any stand using smaller poles (ie the ones that aren't outrageously expensive). If you give the manufacturer a call I believe they'll sell you the 8" plate used on the shorter models, my guess is total cost would be between $15 and $30.
    Stand spikes work well, and are adjustable for levelling purposes. Comes with rubber half-sphere's for use on the top plate, which hold the speaker fairly well.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my S38II's sitting on top of the TMT-30's. Could be better, but I wasn't willing to spend 5 times more on a better stand. I refuse to spend as much (or more) on the stand as on the speaker [​IMG]

Hope this helps [​IMG]
    -- Dave

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm using these for my surround speakers (bookshelves that weigh about 30lbs), and they work wonderfully:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...20Stand%20Pair

I've got the tall, 40" ones since these are for the surrounds, but they have them available in 20", 24", 28", and 40" varieties, in black or silver. They're fillable, on spikes, and the most heavy-duty stands I've found in this price range ($125-175 a pair, depending on height). My only criticism is that there's no "cable management", but if you can drill two holes in the appropriate places (this is very heavy gauge steel), you can make your own cable management.