Stands for Klipsch RS-3's ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have the Klipsch RS-3's ? What type of stand do you have them on? Also, if you put these close to the wall, will it affect the sound. By the shape of them, it looks like the one tweeter will be aimed right at the wall.

[​IMG]

2. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator

I just recevied mine and am playing with them tonight. I will let you know.

3. Michael Cook

thanks, let me know how you like them. Also what type of stands and how high you have them etc.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

The RS-3's are meant to be near the wall at the sides of the room, either in line with or slightly behind the sitting position. They even have a keyhole for mounting on a post.

The RS-3's employ WDST (wide dispersion speaker technology, IIRC) which creates a more diffuse sound. The woofer fires straight out towards the listening position and the tweeters fire out into the room at a 45 degree? angle. Because of the relative non-directionality of the low frequencies and the ability to easily locate high frequencies, the arrangements of the tweeters and woofer allow for the less detectable frequencies to be aimed at the listening position while the more detectable frequencies are aimed away. In essence, the RS-3 is a hybrid of a monopole and a dipole.

As for height, it's the same as most surround speakers. It should be mounted approx. 18-24" above the ears. Because I have no acceptable low position behind my couch, I have my RS-3's slightly behind the couch and mounted near the ceiling. I built custom angled bases and aimed the speakers approx. 18" above my ears. It works very well for my room.

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Almost forgot. If it wasn't clear from the above post, the tweeters do not fire directly into the wall.

BTW, what are you using for your mains, center channel, and sub?

6. Michael Cook

Thanks Jim. I have a Harmon Kardon home theatre in a box I got for xmas 1 1/2 years ago. I am about to upgrade and was looking into that entire Klipsch set (2 towers, center and the surrounds). My current set up (as well as the new set up) has the surrounds right behind the couch. The couch is against the wall and they sit directly behind firing towards each other. They are only about 10-12" above the ear because that is as high as my stands go.

I am just planning everything out before I buy anything. I plan to buy some different stands that will go higher up.