Standoff ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Any one else catch this tonight? Rather standard procedural format, but I think I'll be sticking around for Gina Torres and particularly Ron Livingston. The former does bemused better than probably anyone else on television. And the latter's character shares the low-key demeanor of his Office Space character. It gets a week two from me.

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I could have sworn the episode was not the one advertised, which was about air traffic control.

Or is there another show about hostage negotiators?

3. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Yeah, I thought this was pretty good as well. I'll also stick around with this one.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I'll watch it coz of Ron Livingston; coz he was in Swingers.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Some random comments...

Ron Livingston was so in his Office Space character....Man, that Mom was a Beyotch....Gina Torres looks hot as usual.

6. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Chris - that's next week's advertised episode.

I had a good time with the first episode. Some moremnts more than others, bit it shows a lot of promise. Let's just hope the ratings stay up so it can last a few episodes.

ry

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Did the politician's wife remind anyone else of Hillary Clinton? This isn't a political question but rather a casting question.

8. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

My wife and I watched this for loyalty to Gina Torres and Ron Livingston. It was an odd mixture of really fun and tense moments with some sloppy in-between moments. I don't think Ron and his co-star had any real chemistry but man, I think it would have worked with Gina as his partner. She smokes.

I liked the little possible Firefly homage, too. One of Gina's first lines was something like "I don't give a happy hump..." with "hump" being used often in Firefly as a replacement for various versions of "screw." Not having heard anyone outside Firefly use "hump" in that way I had to think it was intentional.

We will keep watching. My wife asked the logical question: Will this work as an ongoing premise? Sure there are a million cops shows out there and a million more lawyer shows and they seem to find new material but hostage negotiation is such a limited scope topic that I too am curious to see if this holds out. I mean, they are really going to have to figure out ways to vary the "well, the hostage taker either lives or dies by the hands of the SWAT-like team" formula to keep it interesting. Speaking of that, I like that actor Michael Cudlitz who plays the lead of the armed troupe. I loved him in "Gross Pointe Blank" as the bully but even more as "Bull" in Band of Brothers (also with Livingston). Cool addition.

All that said, this will be cancelled before the holidays, I predict. I mean, this IS Fox after all.

9. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I thought the 2nd episode was more of a miss than a hit. I thought the 2 characters talking about their relationship was one of the most annoying things in the episode. That concept will get old (if it hasn't already).

If the show was more about the relationship and the hostage situation is suppose to be secondary, I don't think it's working so far. Also, no suspense if every hostage situation ends well.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Moonlighting aspect of the show seems too early, too forced.

Most of the episodes' success is going to hinge on the dramatic acting abilities of main guest star(s) of the week in the hostage situations.

11. Marianne

Marianne Supporting Actor

I didn't like the "relationship" stuff so early on. I prefer the way that House and CSI (the only other drama shows I watch) keep that on the edge and build up to it (foreplay!). It took CSI a few seasons before anything was shown and House is still leading up to it!

I'll keep watching Standoff a bit longer because I like Ron Livingston and because it's on after House.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally watched the return episode from last Monday. It was pretty touching at the end. Too bad this show is not doing well in the ratings.