Standing Waves and Sub Placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GregBe, Jan 22, 2004.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I have a front firing sub placed in the front corner of my room. At my main listening position, I have a big peak from 24 to 30Hz, it then drops down significantly from 40 to 55, with a peek again at 60 and relatively flat upward from there. At a secondary position (other end of couch), response does not go as low. The SPL starts to jump around 30-35 Hz, but is relatively flat from 40Hz upward from there.
    1)If all of this activity is within 10db swings, is that considered acceptable?
    2)Does rotating the sub help, or do I need to move it? I only have about a 1-2' wiggle room to move the sub in my room (WAF)
    3) Is it preferable to have that big jump down lower if the response is uneveven, or is it preferable to have the response to be more solid in the 40-50Hz range but not go as low.
    Greg

2. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

10db doesnt seem very reasonable to me. Youd want that down atleast half, or as best as you could get it -- why dont you try the old technique of placing the sub in your seating position, playing the tones, and walking around testing different locations for it. Once you find the most flat response.. thats your sweet spot for the sub...

if you dont have a lot of wiggle room for the sub, how about wiggle room for your seating position?

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Well I moved the sub around some, and my swings are all within 8 db now, and I don't have the large spike at 26 Hz and and the large dip at 50 Hz (both of which were actually greater than 10 db swings). This tighter response comes at a cost though. Even though I am getting some needle movement at below 25 Hz, it really doesn't jump until about 28 Hz. The old way I had it set up it jumped at around 24 Hz, but at the cost of a significant drop in the 50's.
    My thought process is that even though I want deep base, it makes more sense to have a more even response and a more solid reading in the 50's than to gain that 4 Hz additional extension.
    I would love any feedback on this issue.
    Greg.

4. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

your rational seems fine on your recent improvements. From what ive seen, only a few movies, on average, tax below 25hz, but there will be plenty of other material in the 50 range you want to play more evenly.