What's new

Standing in the Shadows of Motown - 2 Disc SE! (1 Viewer)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Just announced from Seville Pictures in Canada is a 2 disc SE of the hit film "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". Note while this is a Canadian release according to Seville sources Artisan will be releasing the exact same disc in the US.

Here's the press release :)

-

Standing in the Shadows of Motown
Street Date: April 22, 2003
Rating: PG
2002 GRAMMY NOMINEE

SYNOPSIS
“The aptly named ‘Funk Brothers’ were among the many geniuses we had under one roof…It was awesome how they could get a lock-step interaction going. It could baffle today’s computer experts. Hi-tech music couldn’t compete with these guys when they got an honest and true groove going.”

-Berry Gordy, founder of Motown Records, 1988

Their music is famous around the world, though their names are not. Known as the Funk Brothers, they put the backbeat – the soul – into the countless hits of Motown Records for such legendary performers as Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, and many others. Creating music that helped to define the era of the 1960’s, providing a soundtrack to the civil rights movement, Vietnam War protests and the social upheavals of the time, while also remaining a vital influence to this day, these musicians played on more #1 records than the Beatles, the Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley combined.

Based on Allan Slutsky’s award-winning book of the same name, Standing In The Shadows of Motown, tells the story of the Funk Brothers by combining exclusive interviews, archival footage, re-enactments, reminiscences and thrilling new performances by the reunited Funk Brothers. Joining this legendary hit-machine onstage are such incredible contemporary vocalists such as Ben Harper, Joan Osborne, Meshell Ndegeocello and Montell Jordan and R&B greats Chaka Khan, Gerald Levert and Bootsy Collins.

Filmed on location in Detroit, Standing In The Shadows of Motown follows the Funk Brothers as they return to the sites of their heyday – including Studio A at Motown’s legendary “Hitsville USA” recording facility. From within these walls came “Heat Wave,” “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg,” “My Guy,” “Dancing In The Streets,” “Tears of a Clown,” “Stop In The Name of Love,” and hundred of other hits. The Funk Brothers also return to Detroit’s after-hours nightclubs, where they would often jam until dawn following a full-days work in the studio. The passion of their commitment to music was the driving force – both then and now. Their story is one of triumph and tragedy, hits and heartbreak; for their unparalleled contributions to American popular music the Funk Brothers are long overdue their moment to step out of the shadows and into the spotlight.

PERFORMERS AND SONGS

Interspersed throughout the film are performances shot over six days at Detroit’s Royal Oak Music Theater, which finds the reunited Funk Brothers backing such outstanding singers as Ben Harper, Joan Osborne, Chaka Khan, Bootsy Collins and Mershell Ndegeocello. The concert sequences are shot in dazzlingly crisp 35mm with sound by the legendary Record Plant studio supervised by engineer Kooster McAllister.

“CLOUD NINE”
Performed by Meshell Ndegeocello and The Funk Brothers

“I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE”
Performed by Ben Harper and The Funk Brothers

“WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKENHEARTED”
Peformed by Joan Osborne and The Funk Brothers

“DO YOU LOVE ME”
Peformed by Bootsy Collins and The Funk Brothers

“(LOVE IS LIKE A) HEATWAVE”
Peformed by Joan Osborne and The Funk Brothers

“AIN’T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH”
Peformed by Montell Jordan, Chaka Khan And The Funk Brothers

“SHOTGUN”
Peformed by Gerald Levert and The Funk Brothers

“REACH OUT AND I’LL BE THERE”
Performed by Gerald Levert and The Funk Brothers

“YOU’VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME”
Performed by Meshell NDEGEOCELLO and The Funk Brothers

“AIN’T TOO PROUD TO BEG”
Performed by Ben Harper and The Funk Brothers

“WHAT’S GOING ON”
Performed by Chaka Khan and The Funk Brothers

“COOL JERK”
Performed by Bootsy Collins and The Funk Brothers

DVD FEATURES (double- disc version)

DISC#1
·Feature (Widescreen)
·6.1 ES Digital Discreet Surround
·5.1 Dolby EX Digital Surround Audio
·2.0 Dolby Digital Audio
·Chapters Index
·Commentaries
·--Director- Paul Justman and Producer- Allan Slutsky.
·--Photo Commentary with Allan Slutsky this will be laid over a Photo- to remain locked
·--Video Commentary with Paul Justman this will be audio over picture

DISC#2
·Deleted Scenes / Out-takes
·Jams
·Multi Angle Jam Session
·Dinner With The Funk Brothers
·Tribute Piece “At Long Last Glory”
·Obit Piece “The Ones That Didn’t Make it”
·Music Video Montage

Looks like an awesome release. There will also be a one disc edition.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I sure hope the Canadian Release isnt Bilingual. I hate
having to order everytime from the u.s because this.
It's a expensive doing so.

-Mike

Eric F

Screenwriter
This looks interesting but I find it a bit ironic that most of the artists performing with the Funk Bros were never Motown artists to begin with. Joan Osborne?:confused:

I've been wanting to see this film anyways. If only they could have gotten some of the original artists to cover their hits. Too bad so many of them have passed away. Marvin Gaye, Junior Walker, The (original) Temptations, etc. Junior was an especially underapreciated member of the Motown club. They all deserved their due long ago. R.I.P.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I knew right from the start that this DVD would be an automatic getter. The music from the band which fueled the Dynasty's engine sells this one alone, IMHO. However, this movie was very well-done. I went and saw it at the end of its theatrical run. The antedotes were very much interesting. I was laughing hard at some of the stories which were told. :)

Artisan did note at the time of the film's theatrical run that only barely half of the comipoled footage was used for theatrical release, with the rest of what went unused going into a heavily-endowned double DVD set in 2003. Oh, how I am looking forward to this one. And it shall have DTS-ES AND Dolby Digital EX capabilities. SWEET, IMHO, FOR THIS GREAT MUSIC!!!!!!! ;) All 7.1 of my speakers will be so very happy to be fed such wonderful timeless (to me) music.

Thanks a lot, Mark, for pulling our collective coattails to this one's forthcoming DVD! ;)

Gary Lisker

Auditioning
My understanding, from reading an interview with Allan Slutsky (producer of the movie and author of the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book) is that they asked just about every living Motown artist to appear in the movie, and most of them didn't respond or said no. A few were interested but couldn't do it for health reasons, like Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops. I think some of the others might have felt that focusing a spotlight on the backing musicians would detract from their own legacy. That's really sad.

The real irony, though, is that most people identify Motown songs with the vocalist, but the movie demonstrates that the Funk Brothers could have cranked out hits behind almost anybody. I'm really looking forward to this DVD.

Here's a link to the interview:

Standing in the Shadows

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This looks interesting but I find it a bit ironic that most of the artists performing with the Funk Bros were never Motown artists to begin with. Joan Osborne? :confused:
Justman & Slutsky attended the screening at the Boston Film Festival where I saw this, and they mentioned that the vocalists were folks who really showed enthusiasm when approached with the idea, and Osborne in particular signed on early (this movie had a long development cycle).

Besides, she's got one of the best sequences in the movie, talking with the Funk Brothers during rehearsal about how, when she was starting out, there was this bar she played that had "that broken-hearted song" on the jukebox, and she would always play it while she took a break... And it's clear that (a) the next bit of performance will be Joan Osborne singing "What Becomes Of The Broken-Hearted" and (b) the prospect of doing it with the guys who originally recorded it scares the hell out of her.

Then, she kicks ass. Folks in the auditorium applauded in the middle of the movie.

Yes, buying this, along with a couple others to give as gifts.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Here are the official US specs:

The 2-disc set, due April 22nd, will feature a 16x9 widescreen transfer along with DD 5.1-EX, DTS ES 6.1, and Dolby 2.0 stereo audio tracks.

Extras include an audio commentaries with the filmmakers, a trivia subtitle track, the photo and video that started it all, "Dinner with the Funk Brothers," multi-angle jam sessions, deleted scenes, "The Ones That Didn't Make It," "At Long Last Glory," video biographies, a music video montage, selected discographies, honorable mentions, a hi-res DVD-ROM playable version, and an interactive Virtual Recording Studio.

Oddly enough, BMW Films' second "The Hire" series of short films (Hostage, Ticker, and Beat the Devil) will also be included on this set.

Retail is $22.98.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks