What's new

Stander DVD starring Tom Jane (1 Viewer)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I thought there was another thread about this movie than the Press Release for the DVD, but I couldn't find it.

Here is my review of the STANDER DVD:
http://enterline2.tripod.com/stander.html

So I wonder who will be renting or buying STANDER on DVD? It isn't a bad movie at all for a ture story. Tom Jane (I wish he would call himself Thomas Jane again) plays Captain Andre Stander, a police detective in South Africa who becomes a bank robber. The movie also stars Dexter Fletcher and Deborah Kara Unger.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I will be posting an official review here within the next 48 hours. (Note: I'm not going to look at your review until after I've written mine. :) )

For anyone who is wondering, the box does not list the video as anamorphic, but it is indeed anamorphic.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
David,

I posted my review and then read yours. Sounds like we are in agreement that this is an excellent flick and a fine DVD presentation!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I saw the trailer for this a few months back and it looked pretty good, but don't recall it hitting the theaters around here. I may have to pick up the DVD and check it out.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I just looked this up on Amazon, and they have an amusing flub in their description of the movie:

Amazon.com
Stander is the compelling, true story of Andre Stander (superbly played by Tom--formerly Thomas--Jane), an Apartheid-era, South African police captain whose disgust over official repression of the nation's black majority--and his own, lethal participation in those policies--leads to his career as a bank robber. Captured, imprisoned, and on the run after a successful escape, Stander joins two partners (Dexter Fletcher, David Patrick O'Hara) in a long string of bank heists across the country, uncertain of his destiny but yearning for his estranged wife (Deborah Unger). Co-screenwriter and director Bronwen Hughes (Forces of Nature) can't quite overcome the built-in redundancy of the film's latter half (lots of robberies, lots of disguises). But despite all the gunplay, Stander is most interesting for its understated fascination with the enigma of its anti-hero, who wreaks havoc yet is peculiarly committed to atoning--at great pain--for those actions he considers most unethical. --Tom Keogh

Description
Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) gives up his crime-fighting identity of Spider-Man in a desperate attempt to return to ordinary life and keep the love of MJ (Kirsten Dunst). But a ruthless, terrifying new villain, the multi-tentacled Doc Ock, forces Peter to swing back into action to save everything he holds dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks