Standard Definition signal picture quality on HD television

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chelentano, Feb 24, 2005.

1. chelentano

chelentano Agent

I understand that 80-90% of cable programming is still non-HD. And based on what I have seen in stores, HD TVs display crappy picture, when signal is not HD.

Could anyone tell me if certain high definition 50" Plasma or 45" TFT LCD televisions display standard non-HD digital signal better then other televisions?

2. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

If you count all the programing on my cable, I'd guess more than 90% is SD. But I'll never watch 99% of it. Most of the network primetime shows are now on HD and major national sporting events are in HD.

In retail stores, televisions are rarely set up well, much less properly. So this isn't really a fair test.

A 4:3 image pillar boxed on a 60" widescreen display is equivalent to a 49" 4:3 television. Does an SD image look better on my old analog 32" CRT than it does on my widescreen display. YES it does. But, I'm convinced this is the big size of the display revealing the limitations of the SD broadcast. Couple this with head-to-head comparision to HD programing, and SD material on a big widescreen HDTV can be considered "crappy picture".

I have a 60" widescreen LCD-RPTV cablevision and Cablecard. The SD picture is actually quite good (better than it is with the cable box). It's nowhere near as good as HD or DVDs. But now that I'm over the wow factor of HD, if there's something I want to watch in SD, it doesn't bother me.

3. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Stunt Coordinator

It's odd to say, but its not that the TV displays a crappy picture when its not HD, its that the higher resolution of the TV shows the crappy image for what it is.

Really the only way to go if you have HD is to get some kind of digital source, like satellite or digital cable. That's as good as regular tv is likely to look. Avoid analog, it looks terrible on regular TVs, let alone HD.