What's new

Standard coversion (1 Viewer)

Chauncey2

Grip
Michael_N,
I'll give your second question a shot. Currently I know of no converter that will convert 576/50p (PAL progressive) to 480/60p (NTSC progressive), or vice versa. You will need to do the standards conversion first then the deinterlacing.
I have The Rock and it will convert 480/60i (NTSC interlaced) and 576/50i (PAL interlaced) to 480/60p, or whatever format your TV can handle. Note that your TV will need to be able to handle progressive signals. If your TV can handle progressive signals, then I highly recommend the Rock. It does an outstanding job of converting 576/50i to 480/60p. I've been getting the Hong Kong Legends DVDs, and they look beautiful on my set.
Good Luck,
------------------
Chauncey
Home Theater Equipment List

Jerome_m

Auditioning
>Has anyone tried this:http://www.tvone.com/CDM-830T.htm
I have not, but the page says "An automatic gain circuit insures that the proper video output level of 1V p-p is maintained, even when the input signal varies between 0,5V and 2.0V p-p.", which may mean that this converter is sensitive to macrovision copy protection. That would render it useless for DVD, so make sure you can send it back if that is what you want to do.
>And another question: with the progressive DVD players becoming more common how does one go between PAL and NTSC
Actually, there are no PAL progressive DVD players.
Note for standard conversions:
-it's usually cheaper and better not to convert at all...
-for film material you'll get better quality conversion from a cheap chinese import DVD player (Apex, Raite...) than from a converter working on the video signal (because it's technically easier).
-it's also possible to use a computer.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
quote: Actually, there are no PAL progressive DVD players.[/quote]Not entirely true. Denon's 2800 can be had modified to be region free AND support a full progressive PAL picture. At least that's what the test report on Area DVD said.
-Christian

Jerome_m

Auditioning
It still means that there are no official,
factory released, progressive PAL players,
which makes it a quite small market for
converters...

Michael_N

Auditioning
Apparently - as I discovered after my initial post - progressive multi zone NTSC/PAL player is here already (http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002857.html).
Would the standard US DTV that accepts progressive signal (whether component or RGB) be fine for such a player? What about those pesky 50 Hz that are common in Europe but not compatible with US equipment?
In short: could I throw my Apex away provided I'll pick up a new display at Best Buy?

Chauncey2

Grip
Michael,
PAL Progressive = 576 horizontal lines and 50 Hz vertical refresh rate. The horizontal scan frequency for PAL progressive is 31.25kHz. You will need to make sure that any TV you buy will accept and display correctly these frequencies. Most rear projection systems in the US will not display these frequencies.
The DVD player at the AVS forum discussion is the Skyworth. It will output PAL only as PAL interlaced/progressive. It will not do the conversion for you. You will need to keep your Apex for the time being.
Good Luck,
------------------
Chauncey
Home Theater Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread