Standard binding posts: 3/8" or 1/4"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanR, Jul 11, 2001.

1. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Does anyone know what the 'standard' size on speakers is (or what the majority of manufacturers use)? I've seen some Definitive Tech speakers with 3/8 inch, but other manufacturers with 1/4 inch binding posts. Are Definitive's 3/8 inch an aberration with regard to binding posts?
    What about amplifier manufacturers? My Kinergetics Research amps have 1/4, but I was just wondering what amp brands everyone else is using and what size the posts are.
    Thanks.
    Regards,
    Dan

2. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Don't everyone jump at once!!! We need to contain the enthusiasm for this topic here. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Dan

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Don't know, but I have seen some awfully thick speaker cables out there these days.
    So long as your speaker wires are held in place securely, don't worry about it. If the binding posts are too large, you might be able to get by with extra strands of wire stuffed into the opening. You can buy a few feet of 14 gauge solid wire from Home Depot, strip off the insulation, and cut it into one inch segments for this purpose. Just be careful the strands don't extend out and short circuit against nearby bare metal.
    Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Allan,
    I was thinking more in terms of spade lug connectors. I was asked whether I would need 1/4 or 3/8, and I had no idea there were two sizes.
    Regards,
    Dan

5. Gifford L

Gifford L Agent

1/4" is the standard (smaller) size. 1/4" spades will not fit on certain brands of equipment Monitor Audio Speakers for example. The larger spades 5/8" (I believe) should work with both sizes of binding posts so I'd get the bigger one if you have any doubt.

6. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

IIRC, DT's used 5/16" binding posts.
    ------------------