Stand-Up Comedy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Pancake, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

Well, my wife, my friends, and I are going to see Brian Regan tonight at the Punchline in Atlanta for the 7th time in the last 4 years. He comes twice a year to the Punchline and we've only missed him once since '99. He is easily our favorite comedian of all time. If you haven't had the chance, we HIGHLY recommend that you catch him if he's in your area. Others we've seen at the Punchline:
    John Pinnette
    Mary Ellen Hooper(A GREAT date show)
    Tom Ryan(Opener, very funny)
    Dennis Regan (Opened for his brother in July and just as funny)
    Getting psyched up for the show I was wondering who else enjoys going to stand-up shows? Your favorite? Recommendations?
    -JPancake
    Pancake FAQ

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I like a bunch, mitch hedburg, eddie izzard (no chance to see him live though) I saw a guy from minneapolis open for mitch, chad daniels, he was hilarious but I've never seen him again [​IMG]

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Bobby Slayton, Jeff Altman, Tommy Davidson, Sam Kinison (RIP), and George Carlin.

Robert Schimmel is a favorite that I hope to finally see live in January (I'm planning on roadtripping to Denver for a show).

I love Brian Regan, but I've never mananged to catch him live...

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

"I sure would love a sandwhich, but I can't be openin' all kinds of jars! And having to clean- who knows how many knives?"

5. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I caught Jim Gaffigan at the Punchline a few months back and loved it. I picked up both of his fairly-shoddily-recorded comedy CDs afterwards.

I wanted to see Zach Galifianakis in Atlanta as well, but he was opening for Janeane Garafalo and tickets were a little more than I wanted to spend. I also meant to see David Cross but never got around to it, and snippets of that performance made it onto his double-CD released last month.

6. Jason Pancake

Hey Mike why not just put it all in a squeeze bottle! Lunch with no cleanup! Can life get any better? I submit that it cannot!!
    The greatest thing about Brian Regan is that you can take your parents and not feel uncomfortable for fear that he may venture into "inappropriate" material. In fact, my wife and I have both brought our parents at least once or twice and they enjoyed it VERY much.
    Oh, I can't wait for tonight [​IMG]
    -JPancake

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I saw Carlos Mencia a few months ago at the DC Improv. Very funny guy. His comedy routine will literally change your outlook on life. Check him out www.carlosmencia.com
    Be advised though, this guy is very vulgar with his material [​IMG]
    Jeff

8. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I love going to comedy shows and will second Mitch Hedburg and George Carlin (who I've seen 5 times). I also try to see Jake Johansen, Janeane Garrofolo, Lewis Black, and David Cross whenever they come to Seattle.

We used to have an Improv in Seattle (now the Showbox) during the early 90's and I used to go all the time. I saw Ellen Degeneress, Gary Shandling, Paul Reiser, Rick Ducomon, David Brenner, and Robert Klein there. I also saw Jerry Seinfeld at The Paramount (before he did his TV show) and Jay Leno at The Opera House (before he did the Tonight Show).

I wanted to see Bill Maher when he came up in October but it was the same day as Mr. Show with Bob & David. Which was the best time I've ever had at a comedy show (#2 Kids in the Hall Live the first tour after the show ended; #3 SCTV Reunion at the Vancouver BC Film Festival about 10 years ago).

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I have only been to one comedy show in my life...it was Steven Wright this past year at The Paramount in Seattle, WA.
    My side still hurts from laughing so much [​IMG]
    I really need to catch a few more shows from now on...

10. Jason Pancake

Had a great time at the Brian Regan show last night. He was side-splittingly funny as always. If anyone has seen his stand-up lately you may remember his jokes about the tags on the back of t-shirts and how oblivious people are when they are sticking up [​IMG] Believe it or not, Hanes heard about the jokes and called his agent. They are now sponsoring his current tour!! When we left the show everybody got a TAGLESS Hanes t-shirt! Of course, this type of reaction from a company prompts Brian to launch into his next "joke"...
    "Hey, you know what I hate about Lamborghinis?"
    Michael:
    I would love to see Stephen Wright in person. He is definitely on out list of 'musts'.
    -JPancake

11. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

I saw Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby decades ago but last month my wife & I saw Damon Wayans at the Improv in Irvine, CA. We had a good time but I wasn't really impressed by him, the Emcee or the warm up guy. The whole trip cost us about $80.00. Not a great value but it was a nice change from dinner & a movie.

BTW, Irvine sure has changed a lot since last time I was there. One thing that really blew my mind were the Toll Roads I used to get there. Toll Roads in California?!!?! It's true. When I pulled it up on Mapquest I said "Nah, there are not stinkin toll roads in California", but luckily I took some small bills and change just in case. Cost me $9 round trip.

12. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

I'm seeing Dave Attell tonight. Should be good. His Insomniac show on Comedy Central is hilarious. Someday I'd like to catch Janeane Garafalo, David Cross and Dane Cook.

13. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I saw Lewis Black when he came to KState a couple months ago. He was hilarious and we all learned how to say vagina using sign language. Just like to let all you know that your tax dollars are being well spent on my "education"

14. Fletch

Fletch Agent

Craig Shoemaker,Killer Beaz, Carrott Top,and Jerry Seinfeld were my favorites this past year.Oh, and Tommy Chong.His wife was his opening act.Later, they teamed up for an updated version of Pedro and the man.

15. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Brian Regan rules.

Jim Gaffigan
    Dave Chapelle
    Dane Cook
    Ralph Harris
    Judy Gold

They're hilarious too.

16. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

Brian Regan.... has a brother? SWEET! A friend just recently got his cd and I absolutely love the guy (Brian Regan, not the friend, not like that anyway) He's definitely a comedian that you shouldn't have too much of a problem taking parents and the like to see. Hope he comes down to our area sometime soon.

Some others I'd love to note would be:

Dave Chapelle
    Patrice O'Neal
    Jim Gaffigan
    Al Goodwin
    Robin Williams
    Eddie Murphy

Hopefully I'll be going with a decent-sized group of people to the DC Improv to see Jim Gaffigan on the 22nd.

17. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Jason, on Saturday my wife and I joined some friends for a road trip to Atlanta to see Brian Regan. That was the most fun I've had in months. I started laughing as soon as he walked on stage -- that guy's body language is funnier than most comics' material.

My favorite bit on Saturday was his annoyance with businessmen who draw attention to themselves at airport screenings: "I have a comPUter. It's a comPUter. I have a comPUter."

"Wow! Are you from the FUture?!"

I also enjoyed his description of the typical iron/ironing board as an "instant tragedy set" and his point/counterpoint discussion of the values of reading.

18. Jason Pancake

Darren:
    I'm glad to see someone else enjoyed his show this past weekend in Atlanta! Brian is just one of those comedians that you have to SEE as well as hear. His body language and facial expressions are as important as the jokes he is telling. Was that your first time to the punchline? Did you get your free Hanes t-shirt?

Hey Gregg:
    His brother is freakin' hilarious. Seeing him open for Brian was like 2 for the price of 1. Best opener I've ever seen. His name is Dennis Regan and just a couple of months after that show, he headlined at the Punchline as well.

-JPancake

19. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

damn, george carlin is coming to fargo, but tickets are 38-48$.. too much [​IMG]