What's new

Stand Up Comedy on Dvd - Recommendations please... (1 Viewer)

Rob-Gr

Agent
why hasn't anyone mentioned Eddie Murphy's Raw and Delirious? These are two of the best stand-up shows I have seen, although one of them is funnier than the other and I cant remember which one. The bit he did about tv characters being gay gets me every time.

Richard F

Grip
I also would like to recommend Robin Williams Live on Broadway. This was an HBO live presentation which is guaranteed to keep you laughing for the almost two hour show. Though not "family" material,fans will certainly enjoy this non stop ride through a variety of material,with nothing taboo or off limits,all demonstrating the great talent of this brilliant comedian. Highly recommended!

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
George Carlin box set
Robin Williams: Live in New York.
Evening with Kevin Smith (not "standup", but remarkably similar in format and result, and is damn funny)
I missed that Pryor discs were available, so I'll go fetch up some of those (he was funny as hell before (Parkinson's?) took away his ability to perform). :frowning:
Also, are any of Eddie Murphy's routines (Raw, etc) out? And I'd really like some of Robin Williams' earlier routines on disc, as well as any available material of Jim Carrey as standup. Dennis Miller also.
Bill Hicks would be awesome, as would Denis Leary. In fact, I would really like to purchase a disc with all of the spots and bits Leary did for MTV back in the day (the rant bits). If we're listing stuff we want, I'll add:
The Amazing Jonathan
Louis Black (? not sure if he has a routine or a program)
Henry Cho
Dave Chappel
Jim Brewer (I'd buy a disc of his material simply for the "drinking as a party" joke alone)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Margaret Cho "I'm the one that I want"
Funny & VERY campy...
Has anyone seen the Margaret Cho: Notorious? I always liked her stand up, but this DVD is HORRID! I turned it off after like 30 minutes because it just didn't seem as funny as her other shows.
Robin Williams NY show! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
He's definitely insane :D

James L White

Supporting Actor
3 words: EDDIE MURPHY RAW, no DVD though,:frowning: but I highly recomend Sam Kinison and George Carlin, I need to get those DVDs as well/

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree
Margaret Cho - I'm the one that I want
Margaret Cho - The Notorious CHO
I thought they were both just hilarious. Can't wait to see her live in March. :)

John Herk

Agent
I picked up Jeff Foxworthy's Totally Commited dvd at Wallmart. Great stuff. I would reecommend it. And you can watch it with kids in the room.

Ike

Screenwriter
I must be a dissenter on Robin Williams live on Broadway...unfunny. I haven't seen the DVD, but watched it when it came on HBO. But I guess it comes down to if you're a Williams fan or not. A great tear of the concert is here at the Onion AV Club. The bit at the end about Williams thinking his comedy is so naughty was spot on. It's just straight embarrassing.
I'd snap up a Bill Hicks DVD in a second. And for you Bill Hicks fans, David Cross (very good, very similar) has a DVD coming out, I believe. They teased it on his last CD.

Scott-L

Agent
I wish some of Billy Connolly's work would be released in Region 1. Particularly the two HBO specials he did in the early 90's (one alone and one with Whoopie Goldberg). It's the funniest stand up comedy I've ever seen and my beat up VHS tape of it is one of the few reasons I still own a VCR.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Eddie Izzard: Dress to Kill.

Funniest standup in history, hands down.

Gotta throw in my vote of agreement. Four months ago I had never heard of this guy. I can't believe what I've been missing. Now I like to freak out my friends by inviting them over to watch a comic performance from an "action transvestite".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks