What's new

Stand Up Comedy on Dvd - Recommendations please... (1 Viewer)

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
Can you recommend some stand up comedy dvds?
I recently "discovered" Richard Pryor. I know there are at least 4 dvds from him. Which one should i buy first?
Any news on a Bill Hicks dvd?
Thanks a lot...
António :D

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Richard Pryor: Live in Concert was, I believe, one of Amazon.com's essential DVDs for 2001, which was enough to move it to the front of my Pryor concert wish list. :)

Antonio Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Dave Chappell's cool too...
Funny thing though, as much as i adore the Seinfeld tv show, i found his dvd kinda flat. Only my opinion, of course...:D
More feedback please... :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wish they would release Denis Leary: No Cure For Cancer, it is a classic.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Jerry Seinfeld's "I'm telling you for the last time" is one of the only things that can make me laugh out loud everytime I watch it. His best stuff. You can often find it in the bargain bins at WalMart in a double package with "The best of the Chris Rock Show" (which is a TERRIBLE not funny waste of time DVD...I like the Chris Rock show, but its the best of the first season and there is maybe one funny thing on the whole unwatchable disk).

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
George Carlin's first four or five HBO specials (starting in the '70s back when everyone called it "Home Box Office" and hadn't started calling it HBO) are on DVD.

I like George Carlin. He, Richard Pryor, and Sam Kinison had some very intelligent comedy in between the curse words (which never bothered me). I love the lists that George Carlin always has. I remember he had a list of great unused names for birth control products, like "Papa Stoppa" and "PregNOT!" and the one that doesn't always work called "Baby Maybe".

I've had the pleasure of seeing live performances by Carlin and Kinison, but I wish Pryor was well enough to perform.

Where are the Eddie Murphy standup DVDs? "Your wife's a bigfoot, Gus."

Joel C

Screenwriter
Margret Cho's Im the One that I Want is very funny, and full of biting satire.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Isn't the Leary DVD coming out soon? I seem to recall seeing it on a "coming soon" list somewhere... somewhen... but I may be confused.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Leary's No Cure For Cancer is available on disc in the UK.
The excellent Totally Bill Hicks was announced for a Region 2 (UK) release a long time ago, but has not been forthcoming. It contains the documentary It's Only a Ride and the stand-up show Revelations.
You can find both titles listed at Play.com.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Original Kings of Comedy

Does anyone know when Martin Lawrence's Run Tel Dat is going to be on DVD? I'm not sure it was that great but I'm always up for buying more comedy dvds.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The Region 2 Bill Hicks Totally disc has finally been released - that's well worth picking up. (There are also two new Hicks CDs available).

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
There's a bill hicks related site at www.sacredcow.com I don't know if they have any hicks dvd's, but they do have one by Joe Rogan called live in the belly of the beast, and i highly reccommend it if you like bill hicks. Also, the 2 george carlin sets are great.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Robin Williams: Live on Broadway.
...and look for the very funny Easter Egg.....without the kids in the room! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks