What's new

Stand or wall mount ? (1 Viewer)

jim1174

Agent
Real Name
jim
I have 5 small satellite speakers. Would it be better to get some good wall mounts and put them high on the wall close to the ceiling or should I get speaker stands ?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I say stands, personally.

Speakers put high up on a wall, just don't sound right to me. I know people do it, so maybe it's just me. I don't like in ceiling speakers either............

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton

Originally Posted by jim1174
I have 5 small satellite speakers. Would it be better to get some good wall mounts and put them high on the wall close to the ceiling or should I get speaker stands ?

Wall mounts don't have to be placed up high near the ceiling... you have many more options than the two you list.

Really, you should find out where the speakers need to be for the best sound, then determine how you want to make them "stick" there - be it stands or wall-mounts.

I'm with Ed when it comes to the front soundstage - it will sound best to viewers if the speakers are placed at or near ear-level when seated. Stands can accomplish this, as can simple wall mounts. If you can run speaker wire up inside the wall, then wall-mounts will provide a cleaner look.

"Directionality" is important for the front speakers - there's a LOT of panning and directional effects that closely follow the onscreen action. Therefore, it stands to reason that the front speakers should be well "anchored" to the display. Front speakers that are several feet above the display will sound disjointed WRT the image... yuck!

For sides and/or surrounds, higher placement is generally recommended (though not necessarily tucked up as high as they'll go) because by and large, surrounds provide mostly ambient effects, with occasional directionality. When there are directional effects (gunfire, footsteps, etc.) they don't couple with actual onscreen imagery, so placement WRT images is not crucial.

gavinol

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]I’ve always felt that the integration & interaction between the wall & speaker is too much when mounted directly on the wall. I prefer the sound quality from stand mounting – it also gives you more freedom with placement & tweaking the positioning of the speaker to get optimal sound.[/COLOR]

modern rugs

gavinol

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin
[COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]I’ve always felt that the integration & interaction between the wall & speaker is too much when mounted directly on the wall. I prefer the sound quality from stand mounting – it also gives you more freedom with placement & tweaking the positioning of the speaker to get optimal sound.[/COLOR]

modern rugs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks