Stand in front of mount center speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin. W, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If you can't put your center on top of your TV, is it better to get a stand to place your center speaker in front of the TV or mount it on the wall overtop for optimum sound?

Kevin

2. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

It depends. How tall are your L/R speakers? Generally, you want to keep the tweeter axis (assuming a 0 degree vertical polar tilt) as close to identical between the front three speakers as you can. I believe THX specifies they must be 2' or closer together, naturally the closer the better. This is further complicated if you have a horizontal Woofer-tweeter-woofer arrangement for the center channel and a vertical arrangement for the L/R. That said, you can somewhat compensate for a speaker on the floor and/or under the tv, by angling it up so that the 0 degree axis intersects the same height as your L/R speakers, at the listening position. Depending on the height of your ceiling, I don't know that a center above the TV is any better than one below, as it will vary from room to room, and both I expect will be a similar amount of distance away from the tweeter in a typical floor standing speaker. If mounting on the wall means the speaker will be significantly behind the front of the TV (say a foot or more), then you likely stand a good chance of getting better sound (but bad Feng Shui) from the floor location.

Aaron Gilbert

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I was under the impression that the BEST place for the center channel speaker was UNDER the TV?

Also, I thought that the front three speakers were supposed to be on the same plane...like this.

Left Center Right

as opposed to

Center

Left Right

What gives?