Stand for Sony KP46WT510?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andy_Hamric, May 2, 2004.

1. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

I'm heavily considering this 46" RPTV model. Would have liked to get the 51" so I wouldn't need a stand, but there's just no way it will fit down the stairs and around the corner [​IMG] .

I was at BestBuy and they had the KP46WT510 up on a Bush stand that looked like it was a couple feet off the ground. The sales guy said that the Sony stand was comparable in height, and that the specs on all the websites (including his) showing that it is slightly under 12" are wrong.

Can anybody say whether the Sony matching stand is really only 12" off the ground? Is that enough?

Thanks!

2. Bryan J

Bryan J Auditioning

Andy,

I own the Sony KP46WT510 and did find its intermediate size to be a bit of a problem. The stand that Sony built is quite low to the ground - 12" is probably its height and will cost you about $200 retail. That will place the center of the image at a good viewing height. However, the built-in shelves are much too small for a standard AVR, some DVD players or other components. This might be fine if you already plan on keeping your components on a rack.

I ended up building a stand for the television. It's about 17" high, which as you might guess, places the optimal viewing height above eye-level a few inches when seated on a couch or chair. I sacrifice picture quality a small bit I suppose because of the nature of RPTV but can fit my AVR, DVD player, set-top box, VCR and dvds inside the stand and under the TV.

peace,
    bryan

3. Andy_Hamric

Thank you for the reply. I suspected as much. Is the shelf removable? I might be able to stack my receiver on top of the DVD player that way, but I'm not sure I want my DVD so low anyway... I really should get a rack.. probably be getting an OTA tuner to go with the DVD, Receiver and VCR anyway... things are starting to take up space.

4. Andy_Hamric

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on this TV, got it with the stand and delivery all for $1,350.00 + tax. The stand is fairly low but I figure I can take the shelf out and stack my receiver on top of my dvd player, that way there will still be room to vent the receiver.

5. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

Andy,
    I'm thinking about getting this TV as well. However, I've seen the TV for $1350, but that doesn't include the stand. Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking? Also, can you relay the dimensions of the opening on the stand with the shelf taken out?

6. Andy_Hamric

I saw that our BestBuys had it on sale for $1350 without the stand, so I went to a local chain called ABCWarehouse ("The closest thing to wholesale") and was able to talk the salesman down.

I haven't scheduled delivery yet, will probably not be until next Thursday because we have to rearrange furniture and get a cable outlet relocated, plus I'll be out of town on the weekend. Good thing I'm busy, 'cause otherwise I would hardly be able to contain myself.

Once I get the dimensions I'll post, however I was thinking it was going to be smaller than it is. I recall that the shelf did have two different heights but they were close together.

7. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Andy. I must say I'm turned off by the table-top design of this and the 46" Toshiba. Also, I don't think the shelving on the Sony stand allow room for a decent sized receiver on one, so you'd have to take it out and stack components, unfortunately. Not positive though.

8. Andy_Hamric

Well, I figure if I put the DVD on bottom (assuming I don't mind bending over all the time) that way the receiver will still have enough room to vent when it's stacked on top. That's the current arrangement I have on top of my old direct-view tv. The DVD doesn't generate much heat anyway and has no vents. Only problem might be if it gets affected by the heat generated by the receiver. I've changed plans and will be getting things this weekend, so I'll measure the enclosure and let you know how much clearance there is with the shelves.

9. Andy_Hamric

The opening of the stand in the front, without the shelf, is about 26" wide by 10.5" tall. I got anxious and decided I couldn't wait until next weekend. I just checked my receiver/dvd stack and it's 11" tall. Oh well. With the shelf in the lowest position, if you put something on the shelf you have about 6.25", and it looks like you'd have about 6.75" from the bottom up to the shelf if the shelf was in the highest position.

I would like to make a pointer for anyone who is putting this together by themselves without help (like me): The two silver blocks are rather heavy and because of the order I put the thing together in, I had to support each
    block with one hand while screwing it in with the other.

Also note that when the directions give you a depiction of all of the screws and pegs and such, the letter appears at the very end (the letter they use later to refer to which type of screw you are using). It took me a minute to figure that out.

All in all it took me between an hour and an hour and a half, I'd say, to put it together. I was being VERY slow and methodical.