What's new

Stand-by Mode on Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-30HS510 (1 Viewer)

jimdc58

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Recently, I have had an issue where, when I go to turn on my Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-30HS510 via the remote, it acts like it going to turn on, but then goes into "stand-by" mode. If I hit the power button on the remote one more time, it then comes on.

I have tried:

1. Unplugging the set, leaving is set a few minutes, and plugging it back in.

2. Using the reset button on the remote, along with the power button on the set, to reset the TV to factory settings.

I'm not sure just what is happening. It plays fine once it is on.

I do know that one night recently, I hit a wrong button on the remote while using it in the dark. However, I don't see anything on the remote that indicates there is a "stand-by" mode that can be set.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe there is no answer. My best guess is one of the caps on the power supply is bulged and about to pop.

If you are good with a screwdriver you can unplug the TV for about 2-3 days, wait for the juice to die out of it...and remove the back and see if any of the caps are bulging(you can internet search "bulging capacitor" and probably even include Sony Trinitron and see pics of what one looks like).

jimdc58

Agent
Real Name
Jim
schan1269....thanks for the answer. I'm sorry I am late in responding, as I had somewhat given up on checking the forum for a reply.

Is it okay to just keep playing it, since the only issue is that I have to hit the "power" button twice? (And, by the way, if the television has been on in the last hour or so, and I try turning it on again, it comes right on!)

jimdc58

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Is there any danger in just playing it until it fails? I don't plan on putting any more money into this TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks