Stand-Alone DVD Recorder that works with my PC

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MannyE, Aug 1, 2004.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Hello.

I often edit my home movies on a PC using Avid Xpress or Adobe Premier. I don't want to invest in both a DVD-R for the computer right now.

My question is, is there a stand-alone that has some way (USB perhaps?) of connecting to my PC so I can download my finished videos (not as data, but as video?)

Failing that, is there some low-cost way to connect my PC to ANY (I am looking at COBY, Go-Video and Cyberhome) of the low-cost recorders to my PC?

Even if I had to record in real-time, it would not matter. Most of my stuff is either family videos or short films I produce to make my co-workers laugh and they are rarely more than two or three minutes long.

ANY information on solvong this without purchasing an EXTRA DVD-R for the computer will be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    Also, is there a program that allows stand alone recorded discs to be read by a PC ? My Panasonic recorded discs will not work in a friends computer.

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Rob, are these dvd-r or dvd-rams discs? If dvd-r, did you finalize them? How old is your friend's PC or his dvd drive. What are you using to play them. I've had good luck with CyberLink PowerDvd to play any discs on my PC.

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Manny, I know most dvd-editing software will import from a firewire/I1394 port. They might be able to export over the firewire too. Then you need a standalone with firewire input. Or if your video card has a tv out (like an ATI All-in-WOnder) you could play your video in full screen mode and use a video cable (composite or s-video) to your dvd-recorder. Not sure how good the resolution would be...

Looks like Ulead videostudio will output back to dv; so if the dvd-recorder reads it, I think it will work. You can download a trial from their site.

5. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

Thanks for the information... I use Adobe Premier to edit and maybe the firewire-equipped players will see the feed as coming from a camcorder. I figured out that the best thing to do was to take a morning off and head to the local El Cheapo Mart (Brandsmart here in SoFla) with laptop in hand and try each unit out until I find one that does the job.

Results will be posted. I remember seeing somewhere (I wish I could remember) that a certain DVD recorder had a USB connection as well as the firewire to do exactly what I am talking about. I do remember it being one of the Chinese or other cheap Asian brands like Cody or Sampo.

6. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

A friend of mine was having problems using recordings from my Panny unit because it was 704x480 as opposed to 720x480. Does this make a significant difference?

7. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

The 'problem' is because Panasonic standalones uses track-at-once method, as opposed to disc-at-once, which many older models DVD readers can't recognize.

It has nothing to do with resolution.