Stances on Renting, Buying Used...etc

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RyanAn, Jul 21, 2004.

1. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

1. What do you feel about people renting a DVD instead of buying it?
    a. Or purchasing a used copy?
    b. Will you buy it if it is a former rental?
    c. Maybe only if it is in the original case?
    d. Do your DVDs have to have original inserts, etc?

-

I am firmly against renting, especially from places like Blockbuster, who butchers an artist work. Not to mention the possibility of someone's dirty DVD player and my sick thinking that my other DVDs could catch "media-AIDs."

I am a huge used DVD buyer. I feel that if I can save a few dollars here and there, instead of buying one movie with twenty dollars, I could get two for that same price. I will never buy a former rental if the case is different or in bad shape, or if the inserts are not in it.

Ryan

2. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

I rent but I try and rent only brand new ones that haven't yet had a chance to get really scratched. I recently had to go through 3 copies of Shanghai Knights though before I got one that would play all the way through.

I DO NOT buy DVD's that were rental copies at Blockbuster or anywhere else, although I will buy used DVD's that came from personal collections and only after close inspection to make sure it isn't scratched. See my recent thread about my pawn shop payload the other day. I'm all about saving money though. I NEVER pay retail for anything ever except food. I will spend hours finding a better deal on just about anything. Websites like www.pricegrabber.com and www.dvdpricesearch.com are my best friends. I normally just browse used dvd places but if there's a specific DVD I want or need that can't be found used then I'll check www.dvdpricesearch.com. Like when we bought the Veggie Tales Jonah DVD for my nephew...found it incredibly cheap through aforementioned website at www.deepdiscountdvd.com. Had enough money left in our budget to buy him a second DVD because it was so cheap.

brad cook

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I refuse to buy used just for the sake of saving a few bucks- I've seen a lot of used DVDs for MORE than what I paid for them new! The only time I'll buy something used is if it's out of print, so far for me that's only applied to stuff like promotional-only stuff- I have some of the first instore DVD demo discs (most without the cases they originally came in) that I'd have an extremely slim chance of getting still sealed.
    In general, I like to know who's handled it, who's played it, when and where!

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I don't rent because I am never sure when I will get around to watching a DVD. I don't like the time limit that is imposed on new releases.

I have been known to watch a DVD over several nights, espacially when it is one my wife is not interested in watching. I will sometimes start around 10:30 when my wife goes to bed and watch until I am about to fall asleep.

I will also take my time watching the extras on a DVD. In some cases I will watch the movie with the director's commentary after I have seen the movie. This is what I plan this weekend for In America, which is an excellent movie.

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Marty - I too watch the movie regularly, then with commentary. I never thought of the time limit as a reason, but it makes sense - thanks! Could you imagine if every movie you bought had to be watched by a certain time? ehh.

Jesse - I only buy used if it lesser in price. I refuse to go to a retail store and spend $19.99 on a movie, when I could spend $11.99 on one time viewed DVD that would save me a lot of money.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far...

Ryan

6. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I don't really like to rent movies, mainly because of the fear of scratched or dirty DVDs. But there are just too many movies out there that I want to see and I'm not interested in buying all of them. So, I reluctantly rent. In the past year, however, my rentals have consisted only of free trials from Netflix and other online rental services.

I've never bought an used DVD nor do I ever plan on doing so. If I'm going to spend money on something that I'll keep as part of my collection, I'd like for it to be in pristine condition.

7. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

I mix it up. If I want something really badly on release date, have to go new. Others can wait for used copies from eBay or the Software for Sale forum here.

As previously mentioned, in some cases, you can get new for less than used. Take Deep Discount DVD's recent 20% off sale. Among my purchases were Star Trek IV and V Special Editions and T2 Extreme for less than I could get used on eBay with shipping.

I probably have 150 laserdiscs, and all but about 10 were purchased used. I've only ever had problems with one.

8. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

Netflix is one of the best things to come out of the Internet.

9. danak

danak Second Unit

Netflix and other online rental services are the way to go if you don't want to have a time limit when you rent.

Dana

10. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I do rent if I haven't seen the movie and am not sure if I want to own it. I'm not worried about getting "media-AIDS." Personally, I was more worried about my sister's idiotic friend a few years ago, who almost broke my Pee-wee's Big Adventure DVD, not to mention the DVD player itself when she took decided to put her Charlie's Angels DVD ON TOP of my DVD, without taking it out. Needless to say, I was VERY angry.

I'd rather purchase new discs than used ones simply because I worry about the disc conditions. But if the price is a major improvement, I won't hesitate to pick it up used.

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't like renting from stores, but I may think about using Netflix soon.

As for used.... I've purchased 5 used DVD's, but all were in excellent condition and still had all the original packaging materials (The Royal Tenenbaums[$9.99 from rental], 2001: A Space Odyssey MGM[$10 from 2nd hand store], T-2: Ultimate Edition DVD-18[$10 from 2nd hand store], Shadow of the Vampire [$9.99 from rental], and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon[$5 from rental]).

12. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I rarely rent (been probably over 8 months now) and when I do, it's only when my wife and I want to see a movie we didn't see in the theaters and that we only plan to watch once.

The latest Hollywood Video (dead now) was a good chance to get some used DVDs for under $7 each and they tend to not be as abused as those in other rental places. Even then, they have a year guarantee and I've traded in a couple due to scratches or bad boxes/cover art. The replacements have all been near mint. Only minor issue is that they didn't have inserts which is not a deal breaker for me at this price.

DDD's 20% sale was a good one and I also averaged about $7 per DVD for the titles I picked up.

13. Frank Ha

Frank Ha Second Unit

Frank Harrison
    I don't mind renting if I haven't seen the movie before, but our local rental store refuses to buy the letterbox version of a movie if it is available in Pan and Scan. The management says that the customers complain if a movie is letterboxed. I know it sounds crazy, but most of the time I can't bring myself to rent a pan and scan. I hate'em.

As far as buying used DVD's, I don't mind. If it saves me a few dollars, I am willing to take a chance. But the observation of others is correct. Sometimes certain movies are cheap enough at DDD that it doesn't make sense to buy it used.

14. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

Why all this talk about time limits? I have a Blockbuster Freedom Pass and there are never any limits on it, even new releases. And since they (or at least the one I go to) started to stock unrated when available and widescreen only when available, I have no more problems with them. I buy quite a few used DVDs from them, especially when they are priced like they were recently...3 for $20, which adds up to $7.21 each after taxes. I only do that for second tier releases though. I bought Freddy vs. Jason, Men in Black II, The Italian Job, Cabin Fever, Frailty and Once Upon a Time in Mexico for $40. Not too shabby. I don't care about inserts and the case in the case of these movies, but I do make sure the discs aren't scratched and play all the way through before the week money back guarantee expires.

15. Robert Wainwright

Robert Wainwright Stunt Coordinator

I rent ocassionally on items I know I don't want to buy. Used purchases are rare and sales driven. Example, I wanted the 1st season of Curb Your ... found it as part of the BB 3 for $25 sale.

16. KellyReeVo

KellyReeVo Auditioning

I do the Netflix thing, and so far it has worked out really well for me. I haven't had much trouble with the condition of the discs. The only exceptions are family films and T&A teen films like "Amer Wedding". I just can't afford all of the discs that I would like to own. However I never buy used. I bought one disc used years ago and it was not a good experience. If I know that i like it enough to spend $6.99, then I'll take the bite and buy it at the higher price.

17. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I buy everything new because the vast majority of renters just don't act as if someone else will want the disc to be playable after they return it.

As much as Blcobuster has improved with get OAR and Unrated releases where applicable, I still think they should charge fees when discs come back with finger prints or scratches. With their eagerness to charge high late fees, I'm surprised they wouldn't jump at this (and this stance only came after having to get a replacement for about every other rental due to them not playing through).

Yea, paying to rent a movie only to get a disc that does not contain the movie really seems silly to me as well. [​IMG]

18. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I never rent dvds. my effort goes into the completion of my film/concert library. I never have to blind buy. if I've never seen a film, but did my own research on it...then I'm going in eyes wide open. I'm also a completist in some areas...and seeing a film prior is not always essential before buying it.

I never buy used dvds....unless it's an essential add to the library and OOP and rare. if I cant live without it....I'll buy it used...in mint condition only, however.

I like my stuff new and un-greased and thats all there is to it.[​IMG]

19. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I just want to go on record as saying if I can get the new DVD for a better price, of course I would go for it. I want a new copy as bad as anyone, but my budget can not allow it.

Todd - I think I know you from DVDaf... [​IMG]

Ryan

20. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Many of you are saying that you don't buy used because of scratches and dirt. What kind of used CD stores won't let you look at the DVD before you buy it?! I bought Saving Private Ryan, Behind Enemy Lines and The Fifth Element Superbit all for 5 bucks each the other day. All of them looked pristine on visual inspection and played perfectly. I was going to buy Pirates of the Caribean for $5 too but it had some light scratches so I passed. Used can save some SERIOUS cash. Buying those new separately would have cost me about $40 instead of the $15 that it cost me.

brad cook