What's new

Stan Winston + MIT = A.I.?? (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
The other day on the TV Guide channel they were showing one of those fluffy interview pieces for T3 when something rather interesting came up: Stan Winston, while talking about his T1 robots said that he and MIT have gotten together and are trying to create an artificial intelligence. Is it just me, or is that a strange combination? Anyone have any more info on this?

Kyle:D

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I heard that too, I think is was on the new T2 DVD that he mentioned it. Anyway, I think it's great. You have a master mind at building machines, robots etc. and you throw in a team who has no doubt been working on AI for years. Could make some interesting things. I don't think we're very far away from robots being in our daily lives, maybe within the next 20-50 years.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
That rings a bell for me.

A while back, I saw a Scientific American Frontiers program that featured scientists striving to make technology more enjoyable and user-friendly. This included smart homes and robots that recognize human facial expressions; including a project where Stan Winston Studios teamed with computer scientist Cynthia Breazeal.

Here's a relevant link from pbs; and the segment in question.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I went to school with the son of Raymond Kurzweil, the founder of Kurzweil sound systems, the makers of the best keyboards and synthesizers on the planet. After Kurzweil sold his company for something around hundreds of millions of dollars, he embarked on AI technology, doing most of his research at MIT. Do a search on his name and take a gander at some of the inventions he has produced. Simply amazing. I think that a partnership between Winston and some of the minds like Kurzweil is completely logical, since Winston has been trying for the last four decades or so to make robotics look real for the sake of film and entertainment. Why not apply that knowledge for the sake of technology?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks