What's new

Stalled series? There's Hope! (3 Viewers)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
"Son of the Beach" ???

It's not like I've been living in a cave the last ten years, but I have never, ever heard of this show.

Have no idea if it was a really popular cable show or just an obscure cult favorite. I loved "Threshold" from a few years ago, but there are probably plenty of people who've never heard of it either.

Anyhow, it's a good sign. If "Son of the Beach" can be completed, it gives me hope for a lot of other titles.

Ditto to Hank E. I'd be a definite buyer for everything on his wish list.

Family
Night Gallery
Picket Fences
McMillan & Wife
Murphy Brown
Drew Carey Show
Mary Tyler Moore

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Son of the Beach was an FX series released by Fox in 2003, and Shout! Factory will release vol 2 (second half of season 2, all of season 3) later this year, so it appears Fox is already licensing some stuff out.

Gord

LCD22

Screenwriter

Thanks, Gord. I'm very glad this one series isn't the only one being licensed out. I wished I knew where "The Fall Guy" stood with them and what the hell happen to the first season set they released last June. Those music edits were unnecessary.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I would like to see the MTM titles continue the most -- Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere.

I wonder if CBS/Paramount had the rights to the MTM catalogue if they would have gotten further along in releasing Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Hill Street Blues, etc. I would guess probably, but no doubt it would all be split season, perhaps balanced out by greater picture quality.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

As an old school fan of SMDM and to a lesser extent BW, I think the proper way to do season sets would be as follows:
1. Uncut and unedited episodes if possible (so I can retire my SCI-FI Channel taped reruns).
2. The 3 pilot movies included with Season 1.
3. The BW crossover episodes in seasons 3 and 4 of SMDM (Welcome Home Jaime, Return of Bigfoot, Kill Oscar) included as 'extras' on both shows' sets in their respective seasons (Universal has already set a precedent for doing this on several other series).
4. Fully restored/remastered prints if possible (don't go the "Emergency! Season 4" route with crappy prints).
5. Reunion movies included either as extras on Season 5 of SMDM/Season 3 of TBW, or as a standalone release.
6. Not a must-have, but it sure would be nice to have bonus interviews with Lee Majors, Lindsey Wagner and Richard Anderson discussing their experiences on the shows.

If Universal were able to get the rights back and put these shows out with the 6 steps outlined above (or even the first 4 steps), I think myself and several other fans out there would be extremely happy campers. (Fingers crossed!)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I am going through things and trying to gather what might be the big announcement forthcoming that is going to give some us heart attacks. It has to be something wanted badly but not expected to see the light of day i would guess. But perhaps i am reading to much into it. Hmmm, things that come to mind are: Adam West's Batman, Six Million $$$ Man. Anyone care to guess ? :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Well, the first thing we have to sift through are the different comments being made. I believe Gord told us that Time Life would be putting out a "Classic" set sometime this year. And I also believe he told us it would NOT be "BATMAN", so we can rule that one out.

Then Dave told us that there would be, as you said, an announcement that would give folks a heart attack, but it wouldn't be a 50's or 60's series. So we can work from the 70's on up.

Certainly the "SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN" would fit the bill. I know I'd love to see that released. And it would be a surprise considering we haven't heard anything about the U.S. rights being worked out recently. Same could be said about "THE BIONIC WOMAN".

A friend suggested "EIGHT IS ENOUGH" to me. That would be a fine release too, IMHO. But I have no idea if there are a lot of people that want that show.

Of course if we are talking heart attacks, I can't think of anything that would give me a heart attack more than hearing that we'd be getting "THE WONDER YEARS." But that's probably asking way too much, even for things heart attack worthy.

Gary "I'm sure there are many shows that would qualify as 'heart attack' worthy, but I have no idea what it could be" O.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Gary: ahh okay that rules out batman. Thanks for clearing that up. I would be happy as heck for eight is enough. But i am not sure that qualifies as a heart-attack release. I am looking at the stuff below which is the only un-released product i am waiting on. I guess Falcon Crest a complete series release would be a heart attack worthy release for me. I want every show below very badly though. As you can see SMDM is not on my list nor is the Bionic Woman. I have gone back n forth on those. It is very possible i would still buy them. It is simply a matter of having ruled them out being released and moved on. So that definately would be worthy of a heart-attack. I dunno... I am looking at some of the wants from others in here to see what it might possibly be.

Eight Is Enough: (S1-S5)
Falcon Crest: (S1-S9)
Matt Houston: (S1-S3)
Scarecrow and Mrs. King: (S1-S4)
Spenser: For Hire (S1-S3)
Street Hawk: (CS)
Tales of the Gold Monkey: (CS)
Vega$: (S1-S3)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Aryn, I don't think your list technically qualifies as stalled.

I think of the word as it relates to a car. If your car stalls on you, it means the engine was started and running, then stalled on you. If the engine was never started in the first place, it can't stall.

I would also personally never consider Eight is Enough heart attack inducing, except for the pain you may experience while watching it.

Came across some very old VHS tapes during a major house cleaning a few years ago. Had some Eight is Enough and Love Boat episodes plus some other unforgettable stuff. They weren't original broadcasts, but I'm guessing mid to late 80s recordings.

I remember really enjoying those shows when I was younger, but wow, I was shocked at how bad they really were. Horrible acting, even worse writing, bad laugh tracks, etc. They were almost painful to re-watch they were so awful.

For some reason, a lot of series from that era have not aged gracefully.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Oh i know that was not my stalled list.. But my unreleased want list of trying to figure out what the heart attack inducing announcement might be.

Here is my stalled wish list:

Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
Hart to Hart
Fantasy Island
The Fall Guy
Simon & Simon
Cagney & Lacey
Picket Fences
T.J. Hooker

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

I would have to disagree.. I have caught some Eight is Enough on IN2TV and i love it as much now as i did then. I also love the recent release of the Love Boat on dvd and can't wait to set sail in august with the 2nd half of S1.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

"Unedited" THE WONDER YEARS or W.K.R.P. - consitering Time-Life has a music division that licences original music for CD releases - they have the infrastructure to clear original music. :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Aryn, like your stalled wish list. I'd pass on Fantasy Island and T.J. Hooker, but loved the other shows, particularly Cagney & Lacey and Simon & Simon.

For some reason I remember Christina Pickles and Mark Harmon from St. Elsewhere, so I know I've seen at least a few episodes, but apparently it dropped off my radar. Definitely worth a second look.

I'm really amazed at how my tastes have changed over the years. Many of the older shows I grew up with I still enjoy, but some, like the two mentioned in my previous post, you literally couldn't pay me to watch.

Then there are things like Little House on the Prairie, which I despised even as a kid, now it's positively vomit inducing. Sorry if it's one of your favorites. I would also have to put Batman in this category. Couldn't stand it then, hate it even more now.

Anyhow, back on topic, have no idea what's in the future, but it seems to be promising. Hopefully these smaller studios will realize there is money to be made on these stalled series. I'm totally guessing on this, but I would imagine their production costs may be higher since they wouldn't be dealing in the huge quantities of the larger studios. On the other side, I think they'd have much lower overhead and a much more streamlined way of doing things, not having to deal with the gigantic corporate infrastructure of the large studios.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Yet another reason why I won't be getting a high-def set any time in the near future, if ever. And remember one thing about format switches - a very small percentage ever makes it to the next format. That was true when music went from 78s to 45s and then to LPs and then CDs. I think I heard the number is about 5% that makes it. I think of all of the 4 and 6 episode tryout series that I have from the late 70s on up. I can think of only 3 that have come out on DVD. The rest will only ever be seen again by anyone who videotaped them. Also I don't expect that the many one-season series that miraculously got cable airings in the boom of the 1980s will ever surface again anywhere. Once again, videotape or nothing.
I will take a rare show anyway I can get it and it's okay if it's not beautifully remastered and color corrected from the 35mm negative.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Not for me but i am sure for some people.. The thing is i can't figure out if the heart-attack inducing announcement is for a show that is stalled or for a show that has not been released before period. That would make it a heck of a lot easier to try and figure out what it was knowing that. :)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
The ONLY 70s show that would be heart-attack inducing to me would be WKRP uncut with all the music intact. That would give me a heart attack. But I'd also be on Cloud 9!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks