What's new

Stalled series? There's Hope! (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Hey Dave... Well i have my fingers crosssed that i am one that will have a heart attack. Please let it be me!!!!!!!!! :) BTW what is "FKB" ?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Apparently not nice enough. :P

Gary "everyone's on their last nerve in this thread, so I'm not going to say any more here" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Actually, waiting on Father Knows Best might not be so bad, because they would have time to look for uncut episodes.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, let's get back on track here.....

There are some great suggestions from people, hopefully somebody at Shout Factory is listening. Here's a few I'd love to see more seasons of:

Family
Night Gallery
Picket Fences
McMillan & Wife
Murphy Brown
Drew Carey Show
Mary Tyler Moore

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
You know, i think id just shit myself if The Six Million Dollar Man saw the light of day here in the US. That would send me all over myself. I know it has other issues keeping it off the shelf. But i sure am happy to see Universal shopping stuff around. Happy to have Adam-12 coming!

I think its time for a Jeff Willis post now. ;)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
More "Family" would make me very, very happy.

I'd also like to see "Strong Medicine" continued. Sony dropped it after the first season, and it's a very high quality show which was a huge hit for Lifetime.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

To me, my dividing point is, taping era, pre-taping era. Almost every show that has aired on the networks since VCRs came about around 1978 or so, is around in someone's collection. And once came into popular usage, lets says 1983 or 1984, then they are definitely around. So to me, the stuff I really want on DVD is the stuff from before people had the chance to record the shows complete and unedited. I don't begrudge anyone the shows post-taping era. Believe me, I've bought some myself and it saves me that much in dubbing time. But I agree with you Gary as to what constitutes vintage or classic. It would be nice if EVERYTHING came out but it ain't gonna happen. Not even close.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

Great ones there... I personally would love all you listed. Only ones I don't know (so don't know if I want or not) on there is McMillan & Wife and Family. Picket Fences was a blind buy for me shortly after it's release... and I loved it... so definitely would like to see more of that one!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Now THERE is a possibly interesting discussion, boded by the reaction to this topic. *IF* the legal issues keeping SMDM off of shelves ever got cleared up, what would fan reaction be? What would the expectations be?

If Uni, or some other studio, started to put out SMDM in the USA (two seasons are already out in the U.K. and Australia), would fans accept it if there was not also a Bionic Woman release at the exact same time? Or, would fans buy BW instead, if SMDM was not also released at the same time? Are they all necessarily the same fans, or is BW more something gals prefer over guys?

And how should all those crossovers be handled? And, in the foreign releases, the original pilot telefilms for SMDM were included as part of "Season 1"; is that appropriate, or should it be different? How about the various "reunion" telefilms, which featured both Steve and Jaime? Which show/season are they part of ? Or are they a separate entity entirely?

As a supreme fan of both shows, I know what *I* would want. But what about all of you? It's not really on-topic for "Stalled Shows", but the discussion here proves that WHEN stuck shows get un-stuck, the studios may not have a good idea of exactly what the fan expectations are for DVD releases. What would ensure to a studio that something would make the fans happy? I mean, the two Bionic shows would be (or should be!) about as easy a sell as you can think of. But what would it take to keep fans from bitching that the studio somehow "messed it up"?

Substitute any other "stuck show" in that discussion, and see what I mean. What if the Adam West Batman became available? Everwood? Homefront? Ed? Dragnet? Malcom in the Middle? The Wonder Years? Simon & Simon? Night Court? Marcus Welby? Falcon's Crest? Knot's Landing? The animated X-Men series?

Whether stalled or never-released, studios announce a show for DVD release that they expect fans to go ga-ga over, and sometimes they do and sometimes the response is more lukewarm and wary. For example, LOTS of people were happy that Warner finally announce Birds of Prey, but I've also seen a small but significant amount of people respond like this: "Oh crap...I wonder how screwed up the DVDs will be." Yeah, that's gratitude. Luckily it's the minority, but you see what I mean.

Short of doing some sort of Get Smart/U.N.C.L.E. (and now Real Ghostbusters)-style "complete series" deluxe releases by Time Life, which - let's face it - not every show is gonna get no matter how "important", how do you make those fans happy?

My sincere thanks to those of you who think Gord and I rock. :D

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
For me... I try to be happy with whatever is released... yes sometimes it is harder then other times. But I will do my best to take it as it comes. I would be ok if SMDM & Bionic Woman did not come out at the same time... but I would still be a little disappointed because of all the crossovers. Not disappoint to the point of not buying... but lets say saddened.

As for reunion movies..

First taste of reunion movies I got was with Knight Rider 2000... found it strange to be in the season 1 set instead of the season 4 set. But happy at the same time... because who knew if we would get that far to see season 4 released.

Then There is the situation like Dukes of Hazzard. All seasons released... then the 2 reunion movies is released seperately in it's own boxset. That way I really enjoy it... but there is the fear that you will never see it. preferable but dangerous.

Finally the other way I know of is the situation like Macguyver. This is the one that angers me. If you go out and support the show... and buy the season sets. Then the only way to get the reunion movies is to rebuy the entire series in one boxset. That I feel is not right... and yes... do feel like I am bending over real good for the studio. Hate this with a passion.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

They did the same thing with "The Andy Griffith Show". I bought all the individual season sets and then they come out with the complete set and include the reunion movie. And that movie is NEVER on tv any more and I haven't seen it in 20 years. I really wish the studios would understand how unfair that is to their loyal base.

Gary "and TAGS is a holy grail show for me - so not getting the 'Return to Mayberry' movie is a real kick in the pants" O.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I didn't reallize it was that way with Andy Griffith... but I haven't started that series yet... so if still available when I do get the chance I will have to be sure to get the full series set.

Sorry about that for you Gary... but Thank You for the heads up! :)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And let's not forget I Love Lucy and MASH. At least Fox gave us the opportunity to be fleeced out of our money for the extras, though.

But after supporting the I Love Lucy releases and getting screwed over when it came to the movie... that hurt.

But anyway, one abandoned series I'd love to see finished off is Reba. Potentially, it would only be one more (oversized) box set, since the final season was only 13 episodes.

Then, there's Dragnet (50s, and 68-70), Bob Newhart, King of the Hill, The Facts of Life, Dharma and Greg, Green Acres, Mr. Ed... I could keep going on for a while about what I'd love to see picked up and possibly finished off.

I think Adam 12 is a great start, though.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Does anyone think that FOX will license any of their stuck tv shows out? For some reason I dont think they will.
Surely fox have some of the most ground breaking tv series "stuck" like Hill Street Blues, Cagney and Lacey, Mary Tyler Moore, ST Elsewhere etc etc
These I believe are still quite popular, especially some of them on the board here, wouldnt the other studios be looking out for these mostly?
Also a potential money maker would be Rhoda, especially here in the UK where it was quite popular...
I would love to see Fox license out some of their stuck tv shows but I just cant picture it, especially if they have 4 sets out already as with MTM and BN

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Yes, but the quality will be horrendous. Once people get used to hi-def, seeing a program on videotape is a shock to the system.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
If you're upset about the fact that after collecting season sets only to see a complete collection with bonus features, may I suggest you donate your old single season sets to a nearby VA hospital for their video library. This way you can write off the old sets as a charitable donation.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
That is fine for some people... but not everyone can do such things. Some of us... even though in the hobby... has a budget... and such can not justify buying the same series over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks