What's new

Stalled series? There's Hope! (1 Viewer)

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Hill Street would be so nice.

Lots of unreleased Uni stuff is turning up on Netflix, so the transfers are ready.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
so... Universal titles are coming out.

My wife will be very upset when I start getting any and all Simon & Simon releases.

stuincalif

Auditioning
Real Name
Stuart Shostak
Gary OS said:
BTW, speaking of this very thing, did anyone have a chance to listen to Shokus and hear about "Leave it to Beaver"? I didn't have an opportunity to tune in.

Both Frank and Ken were optimistic that season three and the others would eventually be released, although both were very upset with the way Universal has treated them with regards to their possible involvement with the DVDs. What will probably happen is that Shout Factory or another independent company will pick up the licensing and distribution from Universal, just as they announced that Adam 12's second season will be out this fall via Shout.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
Thanks for posting this article, Tony. I hope we start to see some results. I'm ready for some more "Mary Hartman Mary Hartman"!

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

WKRP?!?! NEVER AGAIN. I bought season 1 because I thought the music changes wouldn't affect the show - I was so wrong. Keep WKRP in syndication world until they could release the unedited original versions of the episodes.

As for stalled shows - give me Mary Tyler Moore, Night Gallery, Beverly Hillbillies, Leave it to Beaver and All in the Family.

njoberheim

Agent
Real Name
Rich
Please, please someone release some more Cagney & Lacey, Knots Landing and the final season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I certainly hope that they are being realistic about it when they shop these series around. You're not going to get the moon for these series. If that's what the studios are looking for, there will be no takers and for good reason.

Adam 12 and a number of series got caught up in the DVD-18 issues that plagued Universal. I remember a number of posts on this forum about people liking the show but refusing to buy it on dvd-18s. I think that's why Adam 12, Dragnet, and others failed. I guess they realized their name was mud and why
McHale's Navy and Ironside was released through Shout.

As to Warner, they have stated they do not license. Man From UNCLE was an exception because I suspect Arena Productions actually had a stronger case for retaining at least partial ownership of dvd rights. The licensing was likely a compromise. Unfortunately most of the Warner shows do not have these issues.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
speaking of Warner Bros. they gave up with Mama's Family after only releasing the first season back in 2006. Many people cried foul do to the episodes being the syndicated, instead the originals, but still they could of released a "Best of" like with there TV Favorites line.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Just my luck. Guess which studio abandoned my most-wanted series? That's it, Warner! I'm not asking for much, really, just give me KNOTS LANDING and EVERWOOD and I'll shut up. I'm even willing to let go of LIFE GOES ON if you at least give me these two. Part of me still clings to the very tiny hope that maybe once they're done with DALLAS, they might consider giving KNOTS LANDING another go...

Anyway, here are those I can still hope for, from SONY and FOX:

DIFF'RENT STROKES (SONY)
HILL STREET BLUES (FOX)
THE NANNY (SONY)
NYPD BLUE (FOX)
PARTY OF FIVE (SONY) - was stalled until the recent release of Season 3 but subsequent seasons most probably depend on how well it sold
PICKET FENCES (FOX)
THE PRACTICE (FOX)
ST. ELSEWHERE (FOX)
WHO'S THE BOSS? (SONY)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I seem to collect so many dvds which include many abandoned and stalled shows, some I hope to see more of include:

1-800 Missing - only season 2 was ever released
8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter
All In the Family
America's Next Top Model
American Dreams
American Family
Baretta
Baywatch
Benson
Bernie Mac Show
Boomtown
Boy Meets World
Butterflies
Cold Squad
Doc
Everwood
Jeremiah
Law & Order - not sure if its stalled just been a while since the original series has had a release
NYPD Blue
Poltergeist: The Legacy
She Spies
Sweet Valley High
This Is Wonderland
TJ Hooker
Touched By An Angel
The White Shadow
The Zack Files

Know some are Warner and probs unlikely but here's hoping maybe one day.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I went in much more detail over on the TVGuide.com blog, but here's the "stalled" series I'm waiting on:

Everwood (Please Warner bring out the remaining seasons and with all of the music intact.)

The Fall Guy (with no music replacements or edits)

Jamie Oliver (Poor sales seem to stall any future releases from this British chef. I would love to see more releases like Jamie's Great Italian Escape, Jamie's School Dinners, Jamie's Return to School Dinners, Jamie at Home, The Naked Chef, the remaining episodes of Oliver's Twist, etc.)

Quincy, M.E. (the rest of the series with no music replacement and on single-sided discs)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I Personally have nothing against music replacement if that's the only way a show can come out on DVD!

Same with "Syndication Edits" I have no problem with those either.

Sometimes we have to take what we can get.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

That's just what the studios want to hear. Then they can fart out substandard work and expect the rest of us to be grateful. Not me, and not anyone who truly cares about the presentation of their favorite shows.

And who's to say they'll stop at 22 minutes? What's to stop them from presenting a whole season of a show in minisode form? (I'd be appalled, but not surprised, if Sony-Baloney tried to pull that)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The Stalled stuff i would love to see get a 2nd-life so i could complete.

Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
Hart to Hart
Fantasy Island
The Fall Guy
Simon & Simon
Cagney & Lacey
Picket Fences
T.J. Hooker

While we are at it farm out these below to since it seems they are never going to see the light of day:

Eight is Enough
Falcon Crest
Matt Houston
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Spenser: Fore Hire
Street Hawk
Tales of the Gold Monkey
Trapper John, M.D.
Vega$

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I hope Sony is one of the studios considering farming out their library. I have so many of their titles I'd like to finish:

The Flying Nun
Hazel
Charlie's Angels
Fantasy Island
Police Woman
and the list goes on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member