What's new

Stalled series? There's Hope! (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Jeff,

Your signature (which indicates that you are mainly a pre-'90's series collector) also describes me where television discs are concerned. I myself collect DVD releases of series that came before the '90's. Most of mine is
'60's, '70's, and '80's, although I do have the first two of the releases of one 50's series, that being "Lucy." I've seen all four of the currently released seasons of "Hawaii Five-O," the classic late-'60's crime drama, and most of the episodes stand up to the classic "will I see this again?" test-- that is, most of them are of the nature where I never get tired of seeing them. That is mostly true of the rest of my collection as well, I believe.

So, it is true that I, like you, am a pre-'90's series collector, because (at least in my opinion) the threshold was the '90's. Some of the comedies after the threshold started getting utterly offensive or were like that from the start-- "Friends" being an example. Not only was it one of the most offensive comedies that it was ever my displeasure to see an episode of, it had (I thought) one of the most offensive opening title tracks that it was ever my displeasure to hear-- that being "I'll Be There For You" by the Rembrandts. Back when I was younger, and before that, television's opening title tracks were mostly a joy to listen to. One of the best, in my opinion, was the opening title track of "Hawaii Five-O" as composed by Morton Stevens.

The same goes for title sequences. When I was younger, and before that, television's title sequences were mostly a joy to see. One of the best, in my opinion, was, again, that of "Hawaii Five-O," created by Reza Badiyi. I also liked the one from "Mary Tyler Moore," also created by Badiyi. One of the worst was, again, that of "Friends"-- I don't know why, but I could not stand seeing it.

There is one thing new that I don't mind seeing at all, that being the new "TPIR" w/Drew Carey. I think he's better there than he ever was on "WLIIA?" or his self-titled series. I also enjoy seeing sporting events too, although most of mine are pre-'90's. That doesn't mean I don't see some current sports too.

So, all that said, I am glad that there is a person here with similar DVD collecting interests (that being you, Jeff), and your post is generally how I feel about television and the DVD's of it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's my primary reason as well. I used to work in broadcasting and over the years grew to hate what broadcasters would stoop to in order to boost ratings. When the "bug" concept first reared its' ugly head I vehemently complained to the local management requesting that we not do this horrid intrusive thing. My complaints fell on deaf ears and the situation has only worsened. I can't stand to watch *any* broadcast program any more due to the intrusiveness of "bugs", "in-show animated bug promos", and similar. However, my wife is hooked on several programs/channels, doesn't watch DVDs at all, and doesn't really understand my DVD habit (although she tolerates it). I'll put on "Discovery Channel" or "The History Channel" if I'm looking for a bit of noise while on the computer and don't feel like some music, but otherwise I'm watching a DVD. I would *love* to ditch the cable service and use that money purchasing stuff I would rather watch!

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Once again, I ask you, Dave and Gord, are the studios looking to license any animated series out?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Yes, as Time/Life's upcoming release of The Real Ghostbusters proves!

But it's not like we have a complete list handy of everything the studios are trying to license out! That info is usually between the owning studio, and the studios they are offering it to. We would rarely become aware of specific titles.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm not too sure where to post these comments about overdue TV season DVD announcements:

The following Region 1 season sets should have been announced by now:

The Rockford Files: Season 6 (Season 5 was released in January)
The Equalizer: Season 2 (Season 1 was released in February)

The following should be announced anytime soon, in the next few weeks or in the next 2-3 months:

Murder, She Wrote: Season 9
Hawaii Five-O: Season 5
The Invaders: Season 2
Mannix: Season 2
Law and Order: Season 6.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
To show you how clueless staffers at the studios can be I sent an email to Fox asking about a release date for Season 2 of "Newhart". The reply I received told me that "...seasons 2-4 are available for sale at the Fox store"! They can't tell "Newhart" from "The Bob Newhart Show" for crying out loud! Not that it matters as I doubt we'll see any more seasons from either program.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

Hawaii Five-0: Season 5 will be coming out November 18th, confirmed by a source at CBS-Paramount. There should be an official announcement soon.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
There should be an announcement for Season 6 of Walker, Texas Ranger pretty soon as well.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
What about MELROSE PLACE Season 5? The show usually gets a release in the Fall and one in the Spring, and season 3 was announced on July 24 last year. We MP fans have been concerned because the fifth season of BEVERLY HILLS 90210 was announced shortly after the release of Season 4 and we're still in the dark about MP, although MP Season 4 was released two weeks prior to BH 90210 Season 4. Does anyone have any info on that?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The CW new version of BH90210 will probably get that series more boxsets in short order than Melrose. brand awareness counts.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I am so tired of the one and done studio dvd releases.I just got
the Get Smart set and wish they would release all the dvd series complete.
I am disappointed that it looks like these shows are all one and done:

1-Flipper
2-Alias Smith and Jones
3-Baretta
4-Police Woman
5- Mod Squad
6-Welcome Back Kotter
7-Kojak
8-S.W.A.T.

Two seasons and done: Hardy Boys and Partridge Family

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Maybe if Shout Factory's release of Adam 12 S2 does well, maybe we could see some of the Universal shows revisited.

Also I wonder what terms are being offered by the studios. If they are asking for the moon, then it's unlikely you are going to see many shows picked up. If the demands are reasonable then more shows could be picked up.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
What about Alfred Hitchcock Presents? Has that become a stalled series now? If so, hope someone picks it up.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Mod Squad Season 2,Volume 1 is coming in Nov. 08.Thanks Paramount
for keeping the show going.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I don't get Sony. With The Jeffersons, AITF, Facts Of Life, Flying Nun (since there's only one season left, can't they cash in on Sally Field's recent Emmy win?) and so many other shows in the vault that are stalled... why rehash the shows that have been completed?

I wouldn't mind this if Sony actually had released more than two old shows this year... but fans of the aforementioned shows are waiting while shows that have already been completed are just getting the endless rehash. Sony, don't forget that there are plenty of classics in the vault that aren't nowhere near completed yet!

MARC1

Agent
Real Name
marc soaper
They released Barney Miller season 2 this past January after a 4 year wait since season 1.at that pace it will take sony another 24 years to release the other 6 seasons of Barney Miller.What a joke.
How about Hazel season 2 and I can't believe they haven't released Dennis the Menace season sets.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
I'm hoping to see further releases for PARTY OF FIVE (Season 3 got released 2 years and a quarter after Season 2 last March), THE NANNY, WHO'S THE BOSS? and DIFF'RENT STROKES.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Even though I don't care for the packaging, I hope these complete sets will sell well, so maybe the strong sales will encourage Sony to finish their stalled series like Charlie's Angels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks