What's new

Stalled series? There's Hope! (1 Viewer)

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I ran across this article (linked from tvshowsondvd.com):

DVD News and Reviews Blog | TVGuide.com

According to this article, some of the major studios are finally shopping around their catalog titles to smaller studios. This is a very vague article, but it sounds very optimistic. Hopefully, good things are ahead. It's nice to have some good news for a change on the tvondvd front.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Still doesn't give me much hope though. I realize they can't mention titles for competitive reasons but those of us that have waited so long for certain shows to continue on dvd don't find much hope in the shopping around bit. I guess they are trying to give us hope but until something materializes, I doubt many more classic tv-on-dvd shows are headed to dvd.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Very vague, but hopefully good news for some of the ``stalled'' or ``abandoned'' series out there that fans are pining for...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This could be a double-edged sword.

The quality of these releases will probably be suspect. Do you honestly believe that they will seek out quality film/tape elements for these shows? We'll be lucky to get them unedited. Unless the studios and licensees work together on decent releases, I remain pessimistic about the outcome.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
The line in the article that gave me the most hope was from Gord Lacy:

I hope that Warner is one of those studios that has had a change of heart. They have a ton of shows that I want. Sony too.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The companies licensing the material would gain access to the masters held by the studio, so the material shouldn't be suspect.

As for Warner Bros, they're probably the only company I know of NOT shopping around their titles.

I'm pretty excited about what could come out in the next year. Robert, I'm not sure why you would think the "shopping around" bit is bad news - it means multiple companies are bidding on some of these shows, and they're being "taken away" from the studio that let the series "die" in the first place (due to lack of sales, or high music costs - whatever). I don't see how that can be taken as a negative development.

Gord

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is good news. Hopefully Fox titles like St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues and The fall Guy(pretty sure this has been abandoned) get new life.
Crossing my fingers for Sony properties also.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm trying to be optimistic, but I've seen far too many shows get screwed up to put on a happy face.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Not really negative. Just don't hold out much more hope for something coming out after such a long wait. I've been pretty positive about possible releases for a while and it seems like it never really materializes. Maybe it's the Gimme a Break! new stories that did this to me. :laugh:

I'll give it another chance and check out the news from time to time. But my efforts in collecting certain shows are not as strong as they used to be. I'm starting to lose interest. Hopefully, this new shopping around idea turns into something good.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
As far as stalled series go, if Universal shops DRAGNET and LEAVE IT TO BEAVER to a smaller studio, as well as ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (that is, if Universal has no further in-house plans for it, beyond last year's release of Season 3) that would be good enough for me. The other in-progress series I've been collecting are largely from CBS/Paramount, and have been chugging along nicely.

Hopefully, this shopping of series by some of the majors could result in some interesting series debuts in R1, especially several quality shows that had short runs (2 seasons or less), like some of the series listed in my signature.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
does seem like Fox would be the best "target" for having other companies finish up their shows especially Voyage, Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore. maybe there's hope for Son of the Beach

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Right now there are four biggies on my list that have stalled:

"Leave it to Beaver" is far and away at the top of my list.

"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"

"Big Valley"

"Have Gun, Will Travel"

There are others, like "Flipper", "Daniel Boone", "Partridge Family", "Quincy", "Dragnet", "Green Acres", "Hazel", "Mr. Ed", "Beverly Hillbillies", "Petticoat Junction" and probably many others that I can't think of at the moment. So I'm hoping that what Gord has heard entails some of the shows I've listed. Time will tell.

Gary "thanks for the ray of hope, Gord" O.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
S.W.A.T. is a big one for me... there is only 1 more season... so would love to be able to finish it off. Would also like to see the final 2 seasons of Reba released. Hunter is another I would like to see continued. And more Dharma & Greg would be cool too.

my other big one there is no chance for since Warner is not one of the studios... but I would have liked to seen more Superboy as well.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm dying for the final season of Pete and Pete. Can you think of a more perfect fit for Shout! Factory?

Of course I want my Survivor and Amazing Race releases as well. With music rights not an issue and the fact that they don't even have to pay the contestants, I really hope some studio(s) give them a go.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I can tell you for a fact that this is 100% NOT TRUE. I am not at liberty to say as all of this "shopping around" is done on a very covert, hush hush basis but Warner has definitely approached one of the independents and is offering their titles.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Gord, thank you for this news. While I realize you can't name any titles, can you confirm if this includes some older shows as well as new ones?

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope that one of these companies picks up NYPD Blue. The rest of this show has become my holy grail.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well here is my list of stalled series...

I want:
-SWAT
-The Sentinel
-Superboy
-Jeremiah
-Amazing Stories
-Poltergeist: The Series

And my wife has one request..
-Knots Landing

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics